Are you smarter than a 5th grader?

Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 7:44:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
What an absolutely retarded show.

Getting a bunch of annoying little kids and one or two really dumb adults to answer painfully obvious questions. And then the dummy walks off with thousands of dollars because he knows that the word "vacuum" has two U's. It's absolutely disgusting and infuriating.

Who is their target audience? Do people actually take that show seriously? How does a show with such an inherantly stupid concept not get cancelled? Why are people not smart?
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 7:48:14 PM
At 12/23/2009 7:44:52 PM, Harlan wrote:
What an absolutely retarded show.

Getting a bunch of annoying little kids and one or two really dumb adults to answer painfully obvious questions. And then the dummy walks off with thousands of dollars because he knows that the word "vacuum" has two U's. It's absolutely disgusting and infuriating.

Who is their target audience? Do people actually take that show seriously? How does a show with such an inherantly stupid concept not get cancelled? Why are people not smart?

middle to low, christian based families.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 9:11:45 PM
Some of the questions are ridiculously easy, but others are ridiculously hard.

For example, can you answer these, without sources?

* Who wrote "Gulliver's Travels"?
* In what state is Acadia National Park?
* Who was the first woman to fly an airplane?
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 9:29:10 PM
At 12/23/2009 9:11:45 PM, mongeese wrote:

I can answer 2/3.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 9:31:53 PM

I think Gulliver's Travels is Swift and some of Pope.
I think the first woman was Amelia Earhart.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 9:53:40 PM
At 12/23/2009 9:31:53 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I think the first woman was Amelia Earhart.

Pretty sure she was the first to fly over the ocean/around the world but didn't make it? Not completely sure however she might also have been the first woman to fly.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 6:41:12 AM

I think the first one is easy but wouldn't have a clue about the other two.

Regarding who watches this show, I would guess it would be quite popular with families with studious young kids. We have a similar show in the UK and my nine year old nephew loves it.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 7:00:21 AM

How do 5th graders know these things?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 8:48:42 AM
At 12/24/2009 7:00:21 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

They're probably GT kids, and the questions are probably taken directly from what their teacher is going over.

I never read Gulliver's Travels. For some reason, we never went over it at my school, ever. I've never been to Acadia National Park.

Finally...
Warning: Spoiler
"On 22 October 1909 Raymonde de Laroche became the first woman to fly solo in a powered heavier -than-air craft. She was also the first woman in the world to receive a pilot's licence."
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 9:08:03 AM
At 12/24/2009 8:48:42 AM, mongeese wrote:
At 12/24/2009 7:00:21 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

They're probably GT kids, and the questions are probably taken directly from what their teacher is going over.

I never read Gulliver's Travels. For some reason, we never went over it at my school, ever. I've never been to Acadia National Park.

Finally...
Warning: Spoiler
"On 22 October 1909 Raymonde de Laroche became the first woman to fly solo in a powered heavier -than-air craft. She was also the first woman in the world to receive a pilot's licence."

Still it's tid-bits not what you're average 5th grader learns
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 9:19:24 AM
We have something similar here, 'are you smarter than a ten year old'. Now the kids on the show are kinda smart, and the adults are generally a bit dim but the whole premise of the show is flawed.

Adults are not meant to know every line of every obscure childrens nursery tale. and some of the questions are so dumbed down that a normal adult is too intelligent to awnser them. From an adult perspective the questions themselves are wrong.

Mind you I had the same problem at a quiz organised via work, many of the questions were fundementally wrong and unawnserable.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 7:16:31 PM
OK, fine, like 1/3 of the questions are actually interesting trivia, but 2/3 involves low-level arithmetic and spelling. It should only be questions that you have to be knowledgeable to answer, like other game shows.

But seriously, a guy goes up there and is asked how many vowels are in the word "immediate." He's not a completely stupid person so he obviously knows the answer, but he still sits there and thinks it over for a few seconds merely because it's a huge sum of money resting on his answer. He acts dramatically scared because he's on television and wants to play along with the act.

He answers the incredibly easy question and the host acts like he got the question wrong for a second (the contestant continues to play along). He then goes "YOU JUST WON $100,000!!" And the audience is going out of their bloody minds with applause because this fool knows how to spell "immediate."

People will watch almost anything that appears on a television screen.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 7:46:16 PM
It targets blue-collar people. I was at a family reunion and just about no one could answer the questions.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 8:10:49 PM
At 12/24/2009 7:46:16 PM, wjmelements wrote:
It targets blue-collar people. I was at a family reunion and just about no one could answer the questions.

Because that's because it was your family reunion.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Nails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 8:20:05 PM
What I hate about the show is the premise that these questions test whether you 'are smarter than a fifth grader.' I watched this show a few times over the summer with my sister who just finished 5th grade. She could answer, at best, the first grade questions. Many questions were about things I had just started learning in high school.

They then find really dumb adults vs. insanely smart kids (that must have been prepped somehow prior to the show)to try to prove that adults are uneducated/forgetful of what they learned in school.

I would be interested if they selected random adults, random 5th graders, and random questions from actual 5th grade curricula. As it is right now, the show is incredibly biased and pointless. I'll stick to Jeopardy.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 8:21:34 PM
At 12/24/2009 8:20:05 PM, Nails wrote:
What I hate about the show is the premise that these questions test whether you 'are smarter than a fifth grader.' I watched this show a few times over the summer with my sister who just finished 5th grade. She could answer, at best, the first grade questions. Many questions were about things I had just started learning in high school.

They then find really dumb adults vs. insanely smart kids (that must have been prepped somehow prior to the show)to try to prove that adults are uneducated/forgetful of what they learned in school.

I would be interested if they selected random adults, random 5th graders, and random questions from actual 5th grade curricula. As it is right now, the show is incredibly biased and pointless. I'll stick to Jeopardy.

The better question is: Is a 5th grader smarter than YOU?
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 8:39:33 PM
I didn't know the answer to any of those questions. I consider myself well-read and I've never even heard of Gulliver's Travels lol so maybe I should rethink my credibility...

Anyway, I think Chris Rock was the one who joked about this show in one of his stand-ups. He was making fun of the people who are like, "Oh! Oh! I know this one!" and he goes, "Is that something to be proud of?! You SHOULD know it you dumb motherf-ker!" Anyway, it was funnier when he did it :p
President of DDO
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 6:24:18 PM
I know about 95% of the correct answers on "5th grader" and it always makes me wonder whether I should know the other 5% or whether I shouldn't. I saw an episode with Ben Stein as the guest. I think he knew virtually everything, but played dumb to make it fun.

I didn't know who the first woman to fly a plane was, but I knew it wasn't Amelia Earhart. I once attended a lecture by a lady who wrote a book entitled, "I Taught Amelia to Fly." For real!

I saw a family vs. family program in which the problem was "name a country in South America." One family said "Spain" and the other said "Africa." That was the best that eight people could do collectively. That makes me wonder about the future of the country.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2010 4:00:52 AM
At 12/24/2009 7:46:16 PM, wjmelements wrote:
It targets Texans. I was at a family reunion and just about no one could answer the questions.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2010 6:10:31 PM
This show is pretty easy, but it's fun. I'm generally good at trivia though. Over the holidays I beat like my entire family at Trivial Pursuit.