Jump to topic:

Realistic Zombies

Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2013 6:40:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Ok, I hate to be THAT girl, and say that we might start looking for some more realistic zombies, because I think that so much of zombie mythology is so far-fetched that adding some realism might just make everyone stop with the whole "zombie" thing. On the other hand, if things get too silly, then that might also screw up the zombie fad, too. So I don't know. I personally like thinking about zombies. Mostly because there are so many people that need to have their faces eaten.

But I read an article last night while I was going to sleep that made me wonder about the whole thing. I didn't save it, or link to it - so I'm going off of memory here, but basically it said that zombie apocalypse would fail because maggots would eat them and the rest would fall off of cliffs.

I checked the "Zombie Survival Guide" and it said that the maggots thing would probably not save humanity. It said that animals and maggots don't eat zombie flesh. It said they don't know why; it's a mystery.

Other highlights:

1. People would shoot most zombies
2. Zombies do not heal and do not avoid damage, which causes them to degrade fast
3. Zombies don't avoid hazards, so they get stuck a lot and break themselves - think about driving a remote control car with your eyes shut
4. Zombies freeze, dry out and bloat, which messes them up
5. Centers for Disease Control and other agencies would be able to fix the problem
6. Biting is a slow way to spread a disease. The article talks about how dogs with rabies don't contaminate entire cities

There might have been other things that I forgot in the article.

I actually think that the CDC would be pretty helpful. I also think that the slower rot rate that is mentioned in the Zombie Survival Guide (a book by Max Brooks) might help explain why they don't bloat and pop.

But as for shooting zombies - I don't think this makes much sense. Guns are too hard to shoot. I think people would have better luck luring them into fire pits. Also, wouldn't it make more sense to break them with a reinforced bumper on a heavy-duty vehicle of some kind... and then clean them up with a street sweeper or bulldozer/dump truck?

Anyway. Thought I'd share.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 12:25:53 PM
I'll be using The Walking Dead as an example for these questions.

At 10/17/2013 6:40:50 AM, Beverlee wrote:

1. Most people don't know how to shoot a gun.

2. Zombies are only powerful in groups; without some serious firepower, even the most adept marksman would get overrun.

2. Zombies do not heal and do not avoid damage, which causes them to degrade fast

This is true.

3. Zombies don't avoid hazards, so they get stuck a lot and break themselves - think about driving a remote control car with your eyes shut

Zombies are humans whose primitive motor parts of the brain are active, i.e., the cerebellum. They wouldn't be very good at it, but they'd be able to avoid most hazards.

This is true.

5. Centers for Disease Control and other agencies would be able to fix the problem

CDC is dead, brah.

6. Biting is a slow way to spread a disease. The article talks about how dogs with rabies don't contaminate entire cities

Except that there is no disease that is spread only through biting; assuming it's not airborne, transmission through blood is mutually inclusive with transmission through biting.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 12:26:43 PM
Everybody in The Walking Dead should have already been turned into a zombie A LONG time ago. I can't imagine it being pretty hard to get blood in your mouth when you're goring zombies' heads.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 12:54:24 PM
At 10/19/2013 12:25:53 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
I'll be using The Walking Dead as an example for these questions.

2. Zombies are only powerful in groups; without some serious firepower, even the most adept marksman would get overrun.

I think that this grouping would help the humans - we lure them into firepits and turn doughnuts in the crowds with a nearby hummer.

Zombies are humans whose primitive motor parts of the brain are active, i.e., the cerebellum. They wouldn't be very good at it, but they'd be able to avoid most hazards.

ok

CDC is dead, brah.

not a "brah!" lol
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2013 5:43:03 PM
The cdc thing is false even if it doesn't exist. The idea of a zombie disease is that the virus is so advanced that it is 95% impossible to cure.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
NotReallySmart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2013 5:38:02 PM
Ok, I hate to be THAT girl, and say that we might start looking for some more realistic zombies, because I think that so much of zombie mythology is so far-fetched that adding some realism might just make everyone stop with the whole "zombie" thing. On the other hand, if things get too silly, then that might also screw up the zombie fad, too. So I don't know. I personally like thinking about zombies. Mostly because there are so many people that need to have their faces eaten.

But I read an article last night while I was going to sleep that made me wonder about the whole thing. I didn't save it, or link to it - so I'm going off of memory here, but basically it said that zombie apocalypse would fail because maggots would eat them and the rest would fall off of cliffs.

I checked the "Zombie Survival Guide" and it said that the maggots thing would probably not save humanity. It said that animals and maggots don't eat zombie flesh. It said they don't know why; it's a mystery.

Other highlights:

I actually think that the CDC would be pretty helpful. I also think that the slower rot rate that is mentioned in the Zombie Survival Guide (a book by Max Brooks) might help explain why they don't bloat and pop.

But as for shooting zombies - I don't think this makes much sense. Guns are too hard to shoot. I think people would have better luck luring them into fire pits. Also, wouldn't it make more sense to break them with a reinforced bumper on a heavy-duty vehicle of some kind... and then clean them up with a street sweeper or bulldozer/dump truck?

Food for thought.
Anyone know the game 'The Last of Us'. Well, did you know the fungus that infects the people in the game is real. See the video, its spoiler free so don't worry.
There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; that is Curiosity.

There are those who seek knowledge to be known by others; that is Vanity.

There are those who seek knowledge in order to serve; that is Love."

- Bernard of Clairvaux
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 4:47:30 PM
At 10/19/2013 12:26:43 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Everybody in The Walking Dead should have already been turned into a zombie A LONG time ago. I can't imagine it being pretty hard to get blood in your mouth when you're goring zombies' heads.

Everybody in resident evil should have already beened turned into a zombie a long time ago. If zombie guts exploding everywhere after one of them goes under a train doesn't sicken you then you have serious issues
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Aloke
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2013 11:23:44 AM

Right?

Anyways, I am legend comes closest to what an actual zombie apocalypse would look like imo.
Iflyhigh
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 5:14:36 PM
At 11/13/2013 11:23:44 AM, Aloke wrote:

Right?

Anyways, I am legend comes closest to what an actual zombie apocalypse would look like imo.

But i am legend isn't worldwide so not much of an apocalypse
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2013 11:42:32 PM
At 11/13/2013 11:23:44 AM, Aloke wrote:

Right?

That's because I am Legend was a vampire apocalypse.

Also there's no such thing as a realistic zombie because zombies are inherently unrealistic.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
MrVan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2013 10:45:06 AM
At 11/2/2013 5:38:02 PM, NotReallySmart wrote:

Other highlights:

Food for thought.
Anyone know the game 'The Last of Us'. Well, did you know the fungus that infects the people in the game is real. See the video, its spoiler free so don't worry.

'The Last of Us' gave us a very cool and interesting twist to the zombie genre, but it's not necessarily a realistic one. The reason why fungi like cordyceps only effects insects is because vertebrae have immune and brain systems which are simply too complicated for them to take advantage of. The video was really cool, and I love Vsauce, but it doesn't accurately portray cordyceps as a fungus or a living organism, it portrays it as a virus.
NotReallySmart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2013 1:24:35 PM
At 11/17/2013 10:45:06 AM, MrVan wrote:

Other highlights:

Food for thought.

'The Last of Us' gave us a very cool and interesting twist to the zombie genre, but it's not necessarily a realistic one. The reason why fungi like cordyceps only effects insects is because vertebrae have immune and brain systems which are simply too complicated for them to take advantage of. The video was really cool, and I love Vsauce, but it doesn't accurately portray cordyceps as a fungus or a living organism, it portrays it as a virus.

I'll have to agree that it does, but that doesn't mean the fungi can't evolve. Although I think the chance of such an occurence to happen is very low, it is possible.
There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; that is Curiosity.

There are those who seek knowledge to be known by others; that is Vanity.

There are those who seek knowledge in order to serve; that is Love."

- Bernard of Clairvaux
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2013 12:52:30 AM
There ain't no realistic zombies, closest you get is rabies.

Unless a virus magically got it's hands on extensive upgrades to mammalian biology that it has no selection to improve your zombie can't do anything more than a sick human could. If you take away their reason and knowledge, well small children could easily escape the zombie hordes by locking a door and waiting two days for their bodies to shut down from lack of water.
LOL, yeah, it's pretty amazing how they think they can "reason" with you. - Sidewalker, speaking of advocates for sexual deviancy.

So, my advice, Liberty, is to go somewhere else. Leave, and never come back. - YYW

And that's what I did. Contact me at http://www.edeb8.com... by the same user name if you have anything you'd like to say.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 9:18:11 AM
At 11/18/2013 12:52:30 AM, ADreamOfLiberty wrote:

Unless a virus magically got it's hands on extensive upgrades to mammalian biology that it has no selection to improve your zombie can't do anything more than a sick human could. If you take away their reason and knowledge, well small children could easily escape the zombie hordes by locking a door and waiting two days for their bodies to shut down from lack of water.

rabies is far from it. there are some diseases that simulate a zombie virus. and remember virus's aren't considered to be alive to water would be irrelevant
ADreamOfLiberty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 10:14:53 AM
At 11/20/2013 9:18:11 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 11/18/2013 12:52:30 AM, ADreamOfLiberty wrote:

rabies is far from it.

I agree, especially given the incubation time and the ease of inoculation.

there are some diseases that simulate a zombie virus.

Such as?

and remember virus's aren't considered to be alive to water would be irrelevant

Human cells are alive and a virus can't change their operating requirements. Sure a virus could hang around for a while but an enduring contagion hovering around millions of perfectly lifeless bodies isn't exactly the zombie apocalypse more like a bad plague.
LOL, yeah, it's pretty amazing how they think they can "reason" with you. - Sidewalker, speaking of advocates for sexual deviancy.

So, my advice, Liberty, is to go somewhere else. Leave, and never come back. - YYW

And that's what I did. Contact me at http://www.edeb8.com... by the same user name if you have anything you'd like to say.
MrVan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 10:19:01 PM
At 11/17/2013 1:24:35 PM, NotReallySmart wrote:
At 11/17/2013 10:45:06 AM, MrVan wrote:

Other highlights:

Food for thought.

I'll have to agree that it does, but that doesn't mean the fungi can't evolve. Although I think the chance of such an occurence to happen is very low, it is possible.

Well, how do living fungi evolve in contrast to viruses? Admittedly I'm no expert, but I'd be willing to bet that it would take an extremely long time for such mutations to occur. Also, the mutations which occur during the process of evolution would have to benefit the species survival.

Also keep in mind just how complex our nervous system is compared to that of an insect, and that each species of cordyceps has evolved to effect a single species of insect.
Falconstudios
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:05:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago

Other highlights:

They don't eat it because it's poisonous. It is explicitly stated multiple times that infected flesh is highly toxic to all known species of animal.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 4:10:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/10/2014 2:05:02 PM, Falconstudios wrote:

Other highlights:

They don't eat it because it's poisonous. It is explicitly stated multiple times that infected flesh is highly toxic to all known species of animal.

antifreeze is highly toxic to most species including humans and animals still eat it....er well drink it
BblackkBbirdd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 10:35:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/10/2014 4:10:48 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Other highlights:

antifreeze is highly toxic to most species including humans and animals still eat it....er well drink it

That's because it tastes good because it contains Ethylene glycol
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 10:54:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/1/2015 10:35:52 AM, BblackkBbirdd wrote:
At 4/10/2014 4:10:48 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Other highlights:

That's because it tastes good because it contains Ethylene glycol

you did it again stop now >.<