Jump to topic:

Legend of Korra makes no sense.

HPWKA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 10:41:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I just got into Legend of Korra, and compared to the original Avatar, it fails. One of the main reasons this is so, is that it makes no sense. II've been kicking these idea around with a few friends, so let's see if anyone has some insight.

1.) How is Amon able to take people's bending? This was never explained, and was a HUGE part of the story. Imagine introducing a character who could use all 4 elements, killing him off, and never explaining how he had this power.

2.) Similarly, how do Tarlok and Amon bloodbend so well, without a full moon? Many waterbenders can't EVER do it, yet they can, seemingly just so Korra's awful plot can function.

3.) In the original Avatar, lightning was pretty much a death sentence if it hit you directly, as it should be, since its lightning. In Korra, Mako hits Amon with lightning, and it only knocks him over, like a mild annoyance. What?

4.) Amon is painted as the bad guy, but he's 100% justified in everything he does and says. Benders abuse non-benders, and the whole society is geared towards being able to bend.
Feelings are the fleeting fancy of fools.
The search for truth in a world of lies is the only thing that matters.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 2:53:21 PM
At 10/18/2013 10:41:58 PM, HPWKA wrote:
I just got into Legend of Korra, and compared to the original Avatar, it fails. One of the main reasons this is so, is that it makes no sense. II've been kicking these idea around with a few friends, so let's see if anyone has some insight.

1.) How is Amon able to take people's bending?

Combination of being highly powerful waterbender with being able to control people with other technique as well. Aang did it twice so its feasible for a powerful bender, like Amon, to do the same

2.) Similarly, how do Tarlok and Amon bloodbend so well, without a full moon? Many waterbenders can't EVER do it, yet they can, seemingly just so Korra's awful plot can function.

Their father was a master waterbender who happened to develop the style to become a master, his sons inherited the same powers.

3.) In the original Avatar, lightning was pretty much a death sentence if it hit you directly, as it should be, since its lightning. In Korra, Mako hits Amon with lightning, and it only knocks him over, like a mild annoyance. What?

Lightning in the original was either channeled directly from nature or came from a massively insane azula, which were extremely powerful. Mako is NOT as powerful as nature or Azula, so its feasible that his lightning isnt as lethal or potent as it was in the past for others....

4.) Amon is painted as the bad guy, but he's 100% justified in everything he does and says. Benders abuse non-benders, and the whole society is geared towards being able to bend.

starting a war in a peaceful city over an issue that isnt that real of an issue is in no way 100% justified, nor is taking away their bending or killing innocent non-benders who get in his way....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
HPWKA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 3:51:45 PM
Combination of being highly powerful waterbender with being able to control people with other technique as well. Aang did it twice so its feasible for a powerful bender, like Amon, to do the same

How does Waterbending translate to taking away people's bending? Aang could do it because he's the Avatar, and could "energy bend", thus removing bending. Amon just happens to be a good waterbender, how does this allow him to take bending?

Lightning in the original was either channeled directly from nature or came from a massively insane azula, which were extremely powerful. Mako is NOT as powerful as nature or Azula, so its feasible that his lightning isnt as lethal or potent as it was in the past for others....

Possibly, but from what Uncle Iroh said in the original, lightning was an extremely dangerous and difficult technique. If you could do it, you could do it, and if you couldn't, you couldn't. I'm not sure its strength would vary significantly from user to user, like normal firebending did.

starting a war in a peaceful city over an issue that isnt that real of an issue is in no way 100% justified, nor is taking away their bending or killing innocent non-benders who get in his way....

How was the issue not real? It wasn't real to the ruling Bender class, but it was real to the non-benders, as Amon had a bunch of followers.

Who was on the city council that ran everything? Benders.
Who participated in the most popular event in the city? Benders.
Who comprised the police/military force? Benders.
Who were the members of the dangerous Triad Gangs? Benders.

And, also, Amon's "war" and punishment shows how illusioned the Benders were. He didn't kill anyone, he took their bending. That's it!! By getting so worked up about losing their bending, the Benders showed just how right Amon was. God forbid these privileged Benders be "normal", oh, the horror.
Feelings are the fleeting fancy of fools.
The search for truth in a world of lies is the only thing that matters.
Proveit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 4:31:38 PM
At 10/18/2013 10:41:58 PM, HPWKA wrote:

1.) How is Amon able to take people's bending? This was never explained, and was a HUGE part of the story. Imagine introducing a character who could use all 4 elements, killing him off, and never explaining how he had this power.

They did explain it. although it is not a very good explanation. He is able to bloodbend in such a matter that blocks their ability to bend. Yes it is a stretch and they should have explained it better, but the way I see it is that they use bloodbending in such a manner that they block the flow of chi in the victims body.

They also should have explained this better too, but the one of the reasons nobody ever was able to bloodbend is because nobody was ever taught the technique. in the original series only Hama ( i think that is her name) and korra even new that it could be done. So I don't believe it is unreasonable for a extraordinarily power waterbender to learn the technique with out the moon. I mean it is really similar to metal bening in my opinion. in the original series only toph was able to metal bend, but she was able to train other how to do it, because she had learned the technique and proved it could be done. I mean it also not too far a stretch from a man who can shoot blasts out of a third eye from the original series

I agree with the previous point maid that it could be because Mako is not as powerful as anybody who used lightning in the original series and also Amon was usually where armor that could absorb some of that electricity

I also agree that non-benders have certain grievances against bender because they often use their bending to their advantage against non-benders, but that does not mean he is justified in taking away the bending of innocent benders. Like it or not bending is better for their societies. those powers are used as a form of energy as a means of construction and much more. To punish innocent benders for the wrong doings of other benders is not fair. It is also not totally true that society is geared toward the ability to bend. there are many successful non bender in the avatar universe.