Total Posts:43|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Pokemon is socialist propaganda. :P

Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 1:40:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
How do we know that the PokeCenter is state run? Perhaps it is a charity.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 1:41:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/3/2010 1:40:08 PM, Reasoning wrote:
How do we know that the PokeCenter is state run? Perhaps it is a charity.

Too big to be a charity.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 1:46:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/3/2010 1:41:56 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 1/3/2010 1:40:08 PM, Reasoning wrote:
How do we know that the PokeCenter is state run? Perhaps it is a charity.

Too big to be a charity.

Because there can't be large charities?

How do you know how much it costs to run a Pokemon Center?
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 1:47:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
No such thing as "too big to be a charity" in what is very nearly a post-scarcity economy caused by easily available versatile animal power and the generally sunny outlook reserved for children's shows.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 1:49:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/3/2010 1:46:59 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 1/3/2010 1:41:56 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 1/3/2010 1:40:08 PM, Reasoning wrote:
How do we know that the PokeCenter is state run? Perhaps it is a charity.

Too big to be a charity.

Because there can't be large charities?

How do you know how much it costs to run a Pokemon Center?

There are no references to donations or payment throughout the show. Furthermore, all their work generates no revenue. The funding comes from somewhere. And the characters buy goods which are obviously taxed
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 1:49:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I mean, the sheer amount of money trainers run around with when they give up half what they have to the person who beats them doesn't exactly speak much to thinking about economics. If it's propaganda it's not very good propaganda.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 1:51:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/3/2010 1:49:05 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 1/3/2010 1:46:59 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 1/3/2010 1:41:56 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 1/3/2010 1:40:08 PM, Reasoning wrote:
How do we know that the PokeCenter is state run? Perhaps it is a charity.

Too big to be a charity.

Because there can't be large charities?

How do you know how much it costs to run a Pokemon Center?

There are no references to donations or payment throughout the show. Furthermore, all their work generates no revenue. The funding comes from somewhere. And the characters buy goods which are obviously taxed

There are no references to taxes.

There are references to Machokes who do construction work for food. And technology is somehow at a level where a plastic ball can turn living beings into PURE ENERGY and back for ease of transportation. Like I said, post-scarcity, and not very well thought out. :).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 1:53:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/3/2010 1:49:05 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 1/3/2010 1:46:59 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 1/3/2010 1:41:56 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 1/3/2010 1:40:08 PM, Reasoning wrote:
How do we know that the PokeCenter is state run? Perhaps it is a charity.

Too big to be a charity.

Because there can't be large charities?

How do you know how much it costs to run a Pokemon Center?

There are no references to donations or payment throughout the show. Furthermore, all their work generates no revenue. The funding comes from somewhere. And the characters buy goods which are obviously taxed

They also make no mention of taxes to my knowledge.

Perhaps the Joys teach Health classes on the side or maybe they breed Chanseys. If you remember the episode where Ash is in Viridian City towards the beginning of the first season you will recall that at least that PokeCenter is run on Pikachu power. How much do you think it costs to feed those Pikachus?
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 1:55:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
In the entire game, I don't remember seeing any government. Except the police, but there's no reason to believe that's state owned, either.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 2:00:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/3/2010 1:55:16 PM, wjmelements wrote:
In the entire game, I don't remember seeing any government. Except the police, but there's no reason to believe that's state owned, either.

In Gale of Darkness there is a mayor, though.[1]

[1] http://wiki.answers.com...
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 2:01:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
If anything, the games seem, if I recall right, at least in Gold and Silver, to hint that Lance and some of the Gym leaders have significant informal authority-- they can essentially be considered to be warlords, except nicer. The government is probably run by donations from that secretive cabal :).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 2:02:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/3/2010 1:55:16 PM, wjmelements wrote:
In the entire game, I don't remember seeing any government. Except the police, but there's no reason to believe that's state owned, either.

Maybe there is no state? Maybe there's Anarchy? Or even better, pure Marxism! :D

lol, communist propaganda.
Logical-Master
Posts: 2,538
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 2:05:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I briefly remember seeing a few episodes of the anime and noticed how it was considered WRONG/EVIL to harm Pokemon outside of Pokemon battles. If that is the case, what do the people of this society eat? All of the Pokemon apparantly replace animals and plants (though to a lesser extent). So is this a Vegan society (barring the pokemon plants) or is it considered excusable to maim Pokemon so that they may be eaten?
personofsecrets
Posts: 75
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 2:08:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Unless there is a reference to taxes, it is not obvious that there are taxes.

I had some intuition that there are some mayors in the pokemon world

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...

I found 3 different references to Mayors, 2 coming from the cartoon. Though this doesn't confirm how they become "mayor" or what exactly a mayor does. It seems as though that government doesn't play a tremendous role in the pokemon world because there are so few references to a centralized government.

As far as the pokecenter and pokepolice problem, I recall that all of the nurse joys are related and all of the officer jennys are related. It could be very well that these families have just chosen to take their niche as care takers and police. Though it isn't explicit how they are funded, maybe the parent of both groups fund the operation. Or maybe there is joy and jenny merchandise that is sold to fund them.
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 2:09:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/3/2010 2:05:33 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
I briefly remember seeing a few episodes of the anime and noticed how it was considered WRONG/EVIL to harm Pokemon outside of Pokemon battles. If that is the case, what do the people of this society eat? All of the Pokemon apparantly replace animals and plants (though to a lesser extent). So is this a Vegan society (barring the pokemon plants) or is it considered excusable to maim Pokemon so that they may be eaten?

"According to the anime, Farfetch'd are rare because of over-hunting them for food. Counting Miltank's milk and Tropius's fruit, Farfetch'd is one of the few Pokémon confirmed to be used in some way for food." - Bulbapedia[1]

Apparently they do indeed eat Farfetch'd.

They also east Rice Balls, in America they are known as Jelly Doughnuts, see the video.

Also, I remember Pikachu eating an apple before.

[1] http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
personofsecrets
Posts: 75
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 2:10:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I recall fish that are not pokemon, but rather as fish are in the actual world. I'm not sure though. I also think there are cows too, that aren't miltanks.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 2:10:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Farfetch'd as I recall had acording to the Pokedex been hunted nearly to extinction for their deliciousness when served with leeks (It probably doesn't help that they carry around the leeks in their beaks).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 2:11:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Hehe, I'm too slow.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
personofsecrets
Posts: 75
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 2:12:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/3/2010 2:09:15 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 1/3/2010 2:05:33 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
I briefly remember seeing a few episodes of the anime and noticed how it was considered WRONG/EVIL to harm Pokemon outside of Pokemon battles. If that is the case, what do the people of this society eat? All of the Pokemon apparantly replace animals and plants (though to a lesser extent). So is this a Vegan society (barring the pokemon plants) or is it considered excusable to maim Pokemon so that they may be eaten?

"According to the anime, Farfetch'd are rare because of over-hunting them for food. Counting Miltank's milk and Tropius's fruit, Farfetch'd is one of the few Pokémon confirmed to be used in some way for food." - Bulbapedia[1]

Apparently they do indeed eat Farfetch'd.

They also east Rice Balls, in America they are known as Jelly Doughnuts, see the video.



Also, I remember Pikachu eating an apple before.

[1] http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...

We should just look at a horde of snacks that appears when a snorlax is having its rounds.
personofsecrets
Posts: 75
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 2:13:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/3/2010 2:11:06 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Hehe, I'm too slow.

That reminded me that pokemon try to eat each other in at least one case. It is whatever (shelder???) that latches on to slowpokes tail.
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 2:17:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
"During his travels in the Orange Islands in Snack Attack, Ash discovered a grapefruit orchard that was under attack by a Snorlax that was eating everything in sight, and was consuming many of the nearby islands vegetation within days." - Bulbapedia[1]

Apparently there are also grapefruits.

[1] http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
personofsecrets
Posts: 75
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 2:19:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/3/2010 2:17:56 PM, Reasoning wrote:
"During his travels in the Orange Islands in Snack Attack, Ash discovered a grapefruit orchard that was under attack by a Snorlax that was eating everything in sight, and was consuming many of the nearby islands vegetation within days." - Bulbapedia[1]

Apparently there are also grapefruits.

[1] http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...

Im strongly inclined to believe that there are potato chips
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 2:21:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/3/2010 2:19:17 PM, personofsecrets wrote:
At 1/3/2010 2:17:56 PM, Reasoning wrote:
"During his travels in the Orange Islands in Snack Attack, Ash discovered a grapefruit orchard that was under attack by a Snorlax that was eating everything in sight, and was consuming many of the nearby islands vegetation within days." - Bulbapedia[1]

Apparently there are also grapefruits.

[1] http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...

Im strongly inclined to believe that there are potato chips

Perhaps, I know that there is ketchup so there are probably tomatoes as well.

"As shown in a handful of episodes, the first being Showdown at Dark City, Pikachu has a special fondness for ketchup, but he will eat and enjoy almost any other human or Pokémon food." - Bulbapedia[1]

[1] http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 2:26:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/3/2010 2:21:50 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 1/3/2010 2:19:17 PM, personofsecrets wrote:
At 1/3/2010 2:17:56 PM, Reasoning wrote:
"During his travels in the Orange Islands in Snack Attack, Ash discovered a grapefruit orchard that was under attack by a Snorlax that was eating everything in sight, and was consuming many of the nearby islands vegetation within days." - Bulbapedia[1]

Apparently there are also grapefruits.

[1] http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...

Im strongly inclined to believe that there are potato chips

Perhaps, I know that there is ketchup so there are probably tomatoes as well.

"As shown in a handful of episodes, the first being Showdown at Dark City, Pikachu has a special fondness for ketchup, but he will eat and enjoy almost any other human or Pokémon food." - Bulbapedia[1]

[1] http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...

There's also an episode, if I recall correctly where they use ketchup to stop some Pokemon.
personofsecrets
Posts: 75
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 2:30:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/3/2010 2:26:23 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 1/3/2010 2:21:50 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 1/3/2010 2:19:17 PM, personofsecrets wrote:
At 1/3/2010 2:17:56 PM, Reasoning wrote:
"During his travels in the Orange Islands in Snack Attack, Ash discovered a grapefruit orchard that was under attack by a Snorlax that was eating everything in sight, and was consuming many of the nearby islands vegetation within days." - Bulbapedia[1]

Apparently there are also grapefruits.

[1] http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...

Im strongly inclined to believe that there are potato chips

Perhaps, I know that there is ketchup so there are probably tomatoes as well.

"As shown in a handful of episodes, the first being Showdown at Dark City, Pikachu has a special fondness for ketchup, but he will eat and enjoy almost any other human or Pokémon food." - Bulbapedia[1]

[1] http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...

There's also an episode, if I recall correctly where they use ketchup to stop some Pokemon.

Electabuz and Scyther.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...
personofsecrets
Posts: 75
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 2:33:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
"When asked why the Yas Gym wanted to be an official Gym, the Yas Leader responds that it is simply a means to earn money quickly, as with official Gym status comes prestige and funding."

hmmmmm

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...
personofsecrets
Posts: 75
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2010 2:37:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Tōkyo City (Japanese
トウキョシティ) is the capital of the unnamed nation where much of Pokémon takes place. It has only been mentioned in Takeshi Shudō's anime novelizations, so its existence in canon is debatable, most especially since Saffron City occupies the space where Tokyo should be if the fictional country's landscape matches that of modern day Japan.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...