Total Posts:49|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What do you think of "South Park"?

cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 7:01:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/7/2013 4:18:31 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Less bad than Family Guy, but still awful.

south park is far worse than family guy
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2013 3:26:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Lol... Me personally, I find south park hilarious.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
InvictusManeo
Posts: 384
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2013 7:16:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
South Park is great. The newer seasons are hit and miss. I think seasons 3-12 were brilliant. I have them all on DVD.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone are two very funny dudes. They also have a broadway show . . . and Orgazmo was a funny movie, too.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 3:06:07 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Anyone at all could do it, it's just that they do it. There's nothing to appreciate there only nihilism.

Kenny dies over and over again, makes ridiculous the tragic losses we've suffered in life. Woo! I actually almost hate the show, but at least it's not as utterly mean-spirited as Family Guy.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 3:12:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
All these types of shows appeal to the retard in you, to the child who will coo when the bad thing does good. I think shows like this stifle goodness in people. They are a comatose.
Adam2
Posts: 1,024
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 9:36:22 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/10/2013 3:06:07 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Anyone at all could do it, it's just that they do it. There's nothing to appreciate there only nihilism.

Kenny dies over and over again, makes ridiculous the tragic losses we've suffered in life. Woo! I actually almost hate the show, but at least it's not as utterly mean-spirited as Family Guy.

"Family guy" is dumb
lola22ola
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 10:23:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think it's really funny but that kind of stupid funny. I like it bc the way they make fun of like what's gng on in the world and make it totally reversed is hilarious.
Xenofloppy
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 7:47:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Only thing I can think of:

OH MY GOD! They killed Kenny!
You bastards!
OH MY GOD! They killed Kenny!
You bastards!
InvictusManeo
Posts: 384
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 6:50:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
@AnDoctuir: So your criticism of South Park seems misplaced, for a few reasons. Shows like South Park (implying there are any like it, which there aren't, and Family Guy doesn't come close) are created for the purposes of 'making ridiculous our fears as you would say. SP is social satire at its finest. It is supposed to make you feel uncomfortable at times and even the creators of the show have criticised their own characters - Cartman being the noteworthy example - for just how lewd and immoral they are. But that's the point. Is it sad that I find Cartman to be hilarious? Yes, probably, for the same reasons that Trey and Matt are horrified that he is their favourite character. But if you can't laugh at the darkness, the duality of human's propensity for good and evil, then you might as well die. Humour is a life-saving mechanism for people. It's why people will gather together at a Frankie Boyle concert and cackle over Fritzl and Nazi jokes. If you can't laugh about it then it's all too depressing.

I also disagree that shows like SP stifle goodness in people for this reason. The overwhelming majority of people know when to laugh about something, and when to take something seriously. The KKK remain a fringe group and there's no ginger directed violence pandemic. Shows like SP thrive in an age where humans are becoming increasingly more tolerant of each other and humane. This fact alone disproves your theory that South Park and other shows like it affect people in a negative way.

"To conquer Fritzl . . . you must become Fritzl." - Reginald D. Hunter, comedian.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 7:03:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/12/2013 6:50:20 AM, InvictusManeo wrote:
@AnDoctuir: So your criticism of South Park seems misplaced, for a few reasons. Shows like South Park (implying there are any like it, which there aren't, and Family Guy doesn't come close) are created for the purposes of 'making ridiculous our fears as you would say. SP is social satire at its finest. It is supposed to make you feel uncomfortable at times and even the creators of the show have criticised their own characters - Cartman being the noteworthy example - for just how lewd and immoral they are. But that's the point. Is it sad that I find Cartman to be hilarious? Yes, probably, for the same reasons that Trey and Matt are horrified that he is their favourite character. But if you can't laugh at the darkness, the duality of human's propensity for good and evil, then you might as well die. Humour is a life-saving mechanism for people. It's why people will gather together at a Frankie Boyle concert and cackle over Fritzl and Nazi jokes. If you can't laugh about it then it's all too depressing.

I also disagree that shows like SP stifle goodness in people for this reason. The overwhelming majority of people know when to laugh about something, and when to take something seriously. The KKK remain a fringe group and there's no ginger directed violence pandemic. Shows like SP thrive in an age where humans are becoming increasingly more tolerant of each other and humane. This fact alone disproves your theory that South Park and other shows like it affect people in a negative way.

"To conquer Fritzl . . . you must become Fritzl." - Reginald D. Hunter, comedian.

Ok...well, you didn't disagree with anything to begin with, only the part about shows like South Park stifling goodness in people. So what if people laugh at the same sort of stuff in different places, though? People also play games --first person shooters where they spend their days shooting virtual people, in order to feel safe in this world. It's nonsense, and stifles sincere effort. My brother --for an example of further, monstrous nonsense-- has always feared what's bigger than him, him being the youngest in the family. He's had nightmares about aliens from this, the mind exaggerating his fears. And how does he handle this? He has a penchant for killing bugs and reveling in animal cuisine to feel like he's the one in control. It's simply monstrous, but it's his programming, it satiates a feeling of hopelessness in him, and that's good enough for him, a selfish little monster who has never woken up. South Park and its equals are lullabies for the demented, and in their existing, people already feel like they are in control --nonsensically however, but that's enough for them -- and hence things like this stifle goodness in people.
InvictusManeo
Posts: 384
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 7:19:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
12/2013 7:03:20 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Ok...well, you didn't disagree with anything to begin with, only the part about shows like South Park stifling goodness in people. So what if people laugh at the same sort of stuff in different places, though? People also play games --first person shooters where they spend their days shooting virtual people, in order to feel safe in this world. It's nonsense, and stifles sincere effort. My brother --for an example of further, monstrous nonsense-- has always feared what's bigger than him, him being the youngest in the family. He's had nightmares about aliens from this, the mind exaggerating his fears. And how does he handle this? He has a penchant for killing bugs and reveling in animal cuisine to feel like he's the one in control. It's simply monstrous, but it's his programming, it satiates a feeling of hopelessness in him, and that's good enough for him, a selfish little monster who has never woken up. South Park and its equals are lullabies for the demented, and in their existing, people already feel like they are in control --nonsensically however, but that's enough for them -- and hence things like this stifle goodness in people.

You're not actually making a cogent argument as to how South Park stifles goodness in people. So your logic is that because humans find a way to reconcile that which causes them fear by enjoying it in some way, they are growing in wickedness rather than goodness? There's a reason why humans laugh, remember. We laugh to maintain some semblance of normality in all the chaos. If your brother exorcises his fears of being weak by harming no one in a game, why deny him that right? Most people grow out of these desperate grasps for power as they grow older anyway. Games and TV shows alike. Even so, your brother could continue playing games his entire life and if that was how he found a way to cope with his fears then it's preferable over him exacting his lack of control over others instead. I get your point, but what I disagree with is your branding coping mechanisms as mechanisms for evil rather than good, when without these mechanisms in place humans would seek out to correct the power imbalance in more extreme means. Or just die.

Not everyone has the capacity for overcoming that which they fear as swiftly or effectively as others might. We need humour as much as we need oxygen. It keeps people alive.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 7:39:04 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Actually I am making a cogent argument. In the absence of such petty means of controlling those bad feelings - man is just feeling, remember - we are left only with nobler, more sincere modes of controlling those fears, and, thusly, such things stifle goodness, they insert themselves where better things might reside otherwise.

It's like how your Iceman killer leans back and makes himself more physically comfortable when he's brought to think of the crimes he's committed. He's compensating for mental turmoil in an incredibly malign way, which might be compensated for otherwise and better. I am perfectly within my rights, and moral, to shout such things down.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 7:56:04 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
That's not why we laugh, by the way. Laughter, and tears, are manipulation. The demented laughter that you're talking about is done in a bid to have the bad thing carry on being good, or close to good. The big scary monster playing peek-a-boo must be encouraged to carry on with such things, lest he play other, crueler games in their absence. The enjoyment one takes in watching shows such as South Park is basically retardation, really. It's the nonsensical meeting of mental turmoil, fear of God, in making oneself more physically comfortable. Oftentimes, too, people don't even know whether to laugh or cry --tears will come from laughter in hysteria.
InvictusManeo
Posts: 384
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 7:57:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/12/2013 7:39:04 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Actually I am making a cogent argument. In the absence of such petty means of controlling those bad feelings - man is just feeling, remember - we are left only with nobler, more sincere modes of controlling those fears, and, thusly, such things stifle goodness, they insert themselves where better things might reside otherwise.

It's like how your Iceman killer leans back and makes himself more physically comfortable when he's brought to think of the crimes he's committed. He's compensating for mental turmoil in an incredibly malign way, which might be compensated for otherwise and better. I am perfectly within my rights, and moral, to shout such things down.

Your argument is that people should not have to resort to making light of their fears and instead should conquer them, but that in itself does not negate the fact that shows like SP and your brother's game are there to serve a purpose for those who have no means of controlling that which they fear. You see it as a mockery and a poor substitute for better things; I see it as a necessary part of life, and I can also acknowledge that it is a mockery. Without the coping mechanisms in place more people would suffer and die as a result (breaking news: South Park saves lives!), and while like I said I can understand the sentiment to your argument, I disagree that damning SP - or anything else that helps people to cope with life - is the right thing to do. It's akin to hating chemotherapy because all it does is kill good and bad cells without discrimination while not treating the root cause of the cancer.

You dislike that people are weaker than you hope them to be, and that they should be strong enough to own their fears, but this is just simply not in everyone's capacity to do so.

Lament over the fact that shows like South Park are even necessary in the first place but to be so splitting as to resolve that they cause more harm than good is unwise, in my opinion.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 7:59:51 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Oh ... people would die, they wouldn't just make a more sincere effort. Gotcha. South Park saves lives.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 8:02:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
And I wouldn't mind only this lady would consider herself ardently anti-religion. Oh, the humanity! the hypocrisy!
InvictusManeo
Posts: 384
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 8:02:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/12/2013 7:59:51 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Oh ... people would die, they wouldn't just make a more sincere effort. Gotcha. South Park saves lives.

It's kind of a joke, in my saying that it saves lives. And I agree that people should be more aware of why they enjoy that which they enjoy and derive pleasure out of. The fact is I would rather people laughed than cry and become depressed.
InvictusManeo
Posts: 384
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 8:03:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/12/2013 7:57:32 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Let's not be so insidiously dumb --all I'm saying.

It's easy for you to say that Sean. You want to remove the control for those less intellectually and environmentally fortunate than you.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 8:05:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/12/2013 8:03:49 AM, InvictusManeo wrote:
At 12/12/2013 7:57:32 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Let's not be so insidiously dumb --all I'm saying.

It's easy for you to say that Sean. You want to remove the control for those less intellectually and environmentally fortunate than you.

What about your vendetta against religion?
InvictusManeo
Posts: 384
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 8:05:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/12/2013 8:02:12 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
And I wouldn't mind only this lady would consider herself ardently anti-religion. Oh, the humanity! the hypocrisy!

I don't mind if others are religious to cope with their lives, actually. I only mind when their religion is used as a weapon against others. No hypocrisy to be had.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 8:07:50 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/12/2013 8:05:47 AM, InvictusManeo wrote:
At 12/12/2013 8:02:12 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
And I wouldn't mind only this lady would consider herself ardently anti-religion. Oh, the humanity! the hypocrisy!

I don't mind if others are religious to cope with their lives, actually. I only mind when their religion is used as a weapon against others. No hypocrisy to be had.

And the Iceman killer's making himself physically comfortable instead of dealing with his mental turmoil more sincerely isn't, perhaps, to weaponise him? Again, this stuff is insidious, just like religion.
InvictusManeo
Posts: 384
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 8:20:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/12/2013 8:07:50 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 12/12/2013 8:05:47 AM, InvictusManeo wrote:
At 12/12/2013 8:02:12 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
And I wouldn't mind only this lady would consider herself ardently anti-religion. Oh, the humanity! the hypocrisy!

I don't mind if others are religious to cope with their lives, actually. I only mind when their religion is used as a weapon against others. No hypocrisy to be had.

And the Iceman killer's making himself physically comfortable instead of dealing with his mental turmoil more sincerely isn't, perhaps, to weaponise him? Again, this stuff is insidious, just like religion.

Well it's like I said, we live in an age where more people are tolerant and accepting of others, so I don't see SP as creating weapons of people at all. There's another post on this forum about how mass shootings have done nothing but increase since the 1970's and this could also correlate with increasing incidences of depression and suicide, especially among youth. There is a great sadness to this world. There is much to fear. If a group of people are able to enjoy a cartoon show and find light in the darkness, rather than failing to take control and fall deeper into despair, I am all for it.