Jump to topic:

Slap-bass

Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 9:38:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Any slap-bass players around here? I have to learn some funk tunes going forward and I am hitting it hard for the first time ever (I've learned a couple of Flea licks but that's it :P). I am finding it very challenging to get the thumb to land accurately.
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 9:41:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've played licks before that just hit the low string, which is easy because you can just wail on the top and not miss :P - but now that I have to hit other strings, it doesn't sound clean.
Greematthew
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 8:36:15 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/7/2013 9:38:54 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
Any slap-bass players around here? I have to learn some funk tunes going forward and I am hitting it hard for the first time ever (I've learned a couple of Flea licks but that's it :P). I am finding it very challenging to get the thumb to land accurately.

I play bass. I'm a musician and I've played for almost seven years. Slapping is tough, I must say. I don't do it as much as I normally just straight up play. But if you want good slap and good trebely bass, I suggest listening to Les Claypool of Primus. He is the best bassist of all time in my opinion. He's definitely better than Flea.

Take a look at the songs - Last Salmon Man, American Life, Those Damned Blue Collared Tweekers, My Name is Mud, and Tommy the Cat. Pretty much of all Primus's songs are the same in terms of bass usage. But definitely take a look.
TheOncomingStorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 8:43:23 AM
At 12/7/2013 9:38:54 PM, Wren_cyborg wrote:

I basically just practiced it for a lot. I'm sure you can do it. I've only been playing for two years, and I don't think it's that hard anymore. It took me like a month to get it right. You have to make sure not to let your thumb be touching the string for too long or too short. It's kind of a matter of trial and error before you get a feel for it.
Official "Director of Weather and Hyperbole in the Maximum Degree of Mice and Men" of the FREEDO bureaucracy.
InvictusManeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 8:47:40 AM
Yes, I have played bass on and off for 4 years and my last attempt at learning slap was a total failure, to be honest. Although I did somewhat achieve a slap after watching this video about a hundred times:

I love Wooten and yeah, Les Claypool is a slap master.
Greematthew
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 12:06:39 PM
At 12/12/2013 8:47:40 AM, InvictusManeo wrote:
Yes, I have played bass on and off for 4 years and my last attempt at learning slap was a total failure, to be honest. Although I did somewhat achieve a slap after watching this video about a hundred times:

I love Wooten and yeah, Les Claypool is a slap master.

Wooten is great!
ironmaiden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2013 7:14:31 PM
I play bass a bit, but I'm not great at it. I play with a pick:/ But if you want to know some great bass players in general, my two favorites are Steve Harris and Cliff Burton.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"