Total Posts:33|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Give me your book recommendations (fiction)

phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 7:52:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
You've probably already read A Song of Ice and Fire, but I'll just mention it in case you haven't because they're even better than the show.

I'm currently reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books--on book 3. They're fairly good if you like mystery thriller. I'd recommend them.

Frankenstein - Marry Shelly is excellent. It's very well written. And if you like that genre, Dracula and The Picture of Dorian Gray are both worth reading as well.

I can't really think of anything else. Candide?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
PatriotPerson
Posts: 1,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 8:15:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The Man in the High Castle---

Tells what the world would be like if the Axis Powers won WW2, in story form.
"Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" -JFK
"You all stink like poo poo" - Rich Davis
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
"My heart is always breaking for the ghosts that haunt this room." -Nate Ruess
nummi
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 8:16:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Steven Erikson - A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen (10 book series, totaling about 10 000 pages and I think it was about 3,5 million words). Completed as of 2013. Far more epic than Game of Thrones. The author's vocabulary is rather extensive as well.

C.S. Friedman - Coldfire Trilogy (3 books and a very original story).

This site might help a lot, http://bestfantasybooks.com...
Raisor
Posts: 4,459
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 8:37:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/16/2014 7:52:44 PM, phantom wrote:
You've probably already read A Song of Ice and Fire, but I'll just mention it in case you haven't because they're even better than the show.

I'm currently reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books--on book 3. They're fairly good if you like mystery thriller. I'd recommend them.

Frankenstein - Marry Shelly is excellent. It's very well written. And if you like that genre, Dracula and The Picture of Dorian Gray are both worth reading as well.

I can't really think of anything else. Candide?

Yeah I've done asoiaf and read Candide, Dracula, Dorian.

I actually stumbled across Dorian Gray while in high school in computer lab. The story sounded interesting so I found the full text online but most of the sites were blocked for being related to the occult- I guess the brothers running my catholic school didnt appreciate allegories about moral decay.

Dragon tattoo doesn't interest me, though a lot of people have recommended it.

I read the wishbone version of Frankenstein, does that count?
Raisor
Posts: 4,459
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 8:39:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/16/2014 8:16:00 PM, nummi wrote:
Steven Erikson - A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen (10 book series, totaling about 10 000 pages and I think it was about 3,5 million words). Completed as of 2013. Far more epic than Game of Thrones. The author's vocabulary is rather extensive as well.

C.S. Friedman - Coldfire Trilogy (3 books and a very original story).

This site might help a lot, http://bestfantasybooks.com...

Might pick up cold fire. Sci fi is my go to genre when I want to pick up something quick. I just finished the neuromancer series.
thett3
Posts: 14,339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 9:04:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Cloud Atlas
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 9:08:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Room by Emma Donaghue.

It is a very well-executed unreliable narrator book. Unreliable narrators are very difficult to write, which is why books that use them are often quite famous (such as Fight Club, Lolita, Gone Girl, Great Gatsby, and Life of Pi).

Anyone who has played in one of my mafia games knows why I find the idea that the narrator is lying to you or is otherwise intentionally or unintentionally misleading you to be such a fascinating topic.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 9:10:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/16/2014 7:52:44 PM, phantom wrote:
You've probably already read A Song of Ice and Fire, but I'll just mention it in case you haven't because they're even better than the show.

I disagree. I couldn't get through the first book after watching the show. They are too similar, but the book's pacing is much slower. It's hard to read when I know everything that is going to happen (at least until I caught up to the show, which was taking way too long). I think people are prone to like whichever they read/saw first.

I'm currently reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books--on book 3. They're fairly good if you like mystery thriller. I'd recommend them.

Frankenstein - Marry Shelly is excellent. It's very well written. And if you like that genre, Dracula and The Picture of Dorian Gray are both worth reading as well.

I can't really think of anything else. Candide?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 9:13:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Also, if you like scifi, Dune - if you haven't already read it. One of the greatest masterpieces of all time.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Raisor
Posts: 4,459
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 9:23:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/16/2014 9:13:01 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Also, if you like scifi, Dune - if you haven't already read it. One of the greatest masterpieces of all time.

I read Dune ( through god emperor) probably back in 6th or 7th grade. On my first play through of Pokemon blue I named my heavy hitting Alakazam "Atreides." excellent book.

Also. I disagree with your characterization of Life of Pi as unreliable narrator. Maybe in a strict sense it is, but I don't think the play with truth and fiction is really the same as in Lolita and fight club.

Did you see the Life of Pi movie?

Thanks for the recommendations, will look into them.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 9:29:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/16/2014 9:23:34 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 2/16/2014 9:13:01 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Also, if you like scifi, Dune - if you haven't already read it. One of the greatest masterpieces of all time.

I read Dune ( through god emperor) probably back in 6th or 7th grade. On my first play through of Pokemon blue I named my heavy hitting Alakazam "Atreides." excellent book.

Hahaha, that is awesome! I recently memorized the Litany against Fear just as a fun parlor trick when I meet other people who read Dune.

Also. I disagree with your characterization of Life of Pi as unreliable narrator. Maybe in a strict sense it is, but I don't think the play with truth and fiction is really the same as in Lolita and fight club.

I'd say it's similar to Fight Club in the way that the narrator's unreliability is revealed with a twist at the end, but unlike it in that it tries to maintain an ambiguity. At the very least, the scene in the hospital gave me chills because the book was written really well as potentially an unreliable narrator piece. The whole point of an unreliable narrator is that you buy their version of events at the time, but when thinking through the story again, it doesn't comport with your common sense.

Did you see the Life of Pi movie?

Yeah, I didn't like it as much as the book. The scenes with the whale and the island see way too fake. You're just like - wtf is going on. Somehow in book form, even the island didn't quite trip my suspended disbelief. It's kind of possible with evolution (in a fiction book), that the island was real (in the fiction sense). Or he hallucinated it. But basically I didn't like the movie because the book was about his internal thought structure (like him describing his fear and loneliness), which is something you don't get in film form. They made the film seem too childish.

Thanks for the recommendations, will look into them.

np
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Raisor
Posts: 4,459
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 9:37:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/16/2014 9:29:53 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/16/2014 9:23:34 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 2/16/2014 9:13:01 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Also, if you like scifi, Dune - if you haven't already read it. One of the greatest masterpieces of all time.

I read Dune ( through god emperor) probably back in 6th or 7th grade. On my first play through of Pokemon blue I named my heavy hitting Alakazam "Atreides." excellent book.

Hahaha, that is awesome! I recently memorized the Litany against Fear just as a fun parlor trick when I meet other people who read Dune.

Also. I disagree with your characterization of Life of Pi as unreliable narrator. Maybe in a strict sense it is, but I don't think the play with truth and fiction is really the same as in Lolita and fight club.

I'd say it's similar to Fight Club in the way that the narrator's unreliability is revealed with a twist at the end, but unlike it in that it tries to maintain an ambiguity. At the very least, the scene in the hospital gave me chills because the book was written really well as potentially an unreliable narrator piece. The whole point of an unreliable narrator is that you buy their version of events at the time, but when thinking through the story again, it doesn't comport with your common sense.

Did you see the Life of Pi movie?

Yeah, I didn't like it as much as the book. The scenes with the whale and the island see way too fake. You're just like - wtf is going on. Somehow in book form, even the island didn't quite trip my suspended disbelief. It's kind of possible with evolution (in a fiction book), that the island was real (in the fiction sense). Or he hallucinated it. But basically I didn't like the movie because the book was about his internal thought structure (like him describing his fear and loneliness), which is something you don't get in film form. They made the film seem too childish.

Thanks for the recommendations, will look into them.

np

Aw, I really really liked the film. I thought it was beautiful and captured the spirit of natural mysticism of the book. I was really taken in by the visual aspect when I saw it in the theater. The only part I didn't like was how they shoved the theme of the story in your face at the end of the movie. Like, please erase all the art and subtlety of the narrative e by cramming a sparknotes sermon down my throat.

Yeah I guess you are right about it being an unreliable narrator, it's just not how I framed my interpretation.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 10:11:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/16/2014 9:37:44 PM, Raisor wrote:

Aw, I really really liked the film. I thought it was beautiful and captured the spirit of natural mysticism of the book. I was really taken in by the visual aspect when I saw it in the theater. The only part I didn't like was how they shoved the theme of the story in your face at the end of the movie. Like, please erase all the art and subtlety of the narrative e by cramming a sparknotes sermon down my throat.

Yeah I guess you are right about it being an unreliable narrator, it's just not how I framed my interpretation.

I too hated the ending. I was like - seriously, if you can't get the symbolism of the monkey, etc. by now, you don't deserve to have it explained to you. Stop hitting us over the head with it.

I can totally see that about the natural mysticism of the book. That was definitely captured by the movie. But I read the book more as a very interesting psychological case study, about what the brain does to survive a horrible situation (e.g. trying to befriend a deadly tiger so as not to feel alone). In that sense, I think the movie blurs the line too much by making what he is seeing seem real. It doesn't leave you questioning as you're going along - "what, really? No way? This dude has gone crazy." It's more like the viewer thinking, "oh okay, this is a fantasy movie, not real life."
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 10:54:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/16/2014 8:37:32 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 2/16/2014 7:52:44 PM, phantom wrote:
Yeah I've done asoiaf and read Candide, Dracula, Dorian.

I actually stumbled across Dorian Gray while in high school in computer lab. The story sounded interesting so I found the full text online but most of the sites were blocked for being related to the occult- I guess the brothers running my catholic school didnt appreciate allegories about moral decay.

Dragon tattoo doesn't interest me, though a lot of people have recommended it.

I don't think many people would like it unless they're inclined to that genre.

I read the wishbone version of Frankenstein, does that count?

Sounds crappy. If you liked Dracula and Dorian Gray, Frankenstein is better. Actually, I was a little disappointed with Dorian Gray. I felt like it should have been twice as long. He just didn't fill in the plot and character development enough. Still, I like that genre. If anything, Lord Henry, the cynical hedonistic egoist, is a reason all in its own to read the book.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 10:59:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/16/2014 9:10:58 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/16/2014 7:52:44 PM, phantom wrote:
You've probably already read A Song of Ice and Fire, but I'll just mention it in case you haven't because they're even better than the show.

I disagree.

Heathen!

JK. Those fans who assume that if you haven't read the books, or prefer the show, you're not a proper fan annoy me.

I couldn't get through the first book after watching the show. They are too similar, but the book's pacing is much slower. It's hard to read when I know everything that is going to happen (at least until I caught up to the show, which was taking way too long).

That's reasonable. Maybe you could read book 3, Storm of Swords. Most reader fans agree that it's the best book in the series and season 3 only covered about half of it, so the other half you'd be unfamiliar with.

I think people are prone to like whichever they read/saw first.

I read them almost immediately after watching all three seasons actually; that is often the case though. I definitely preferred allot of what the show did as apposed to the books, but there's just so much more in the books due to their sheer size. That being said, I can hardly see how the show creators could have done any better a job, so maybe I just prefer reading to watching in general.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
tylergraham95
Posts: 1,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 8:30:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/16/2014 8:16:00 PM, nummi wrote:
Steven Erikson - A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen (10 book series, totaling about 10 000 pages and I think it was about 3,5 million words). Completed as of 2013. Far more epic than Game of Thrones. The author's vocabulary is rather extensive as well.

Oh god those books are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring.
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
tylergraham95
Posts: 1,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 8:40:50 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
If you like video games and/or the 80s/90s you should read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
If you haven't read Life of Pi then you should go read it immediately. the first 50 pages or so are just the author being his typical super-pretentious self, but the rest is great.
If you like easy reading that's still eloquent and highly entertaining, you should read some Vonnegut.
Also Enders Game. Read it. If you've already read it, read it again.
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 7:29:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I don't usually read fiction but Dogeaters (the last one I read) was highly compelling. The only drawback (well I don't really see it as such but most people I've talked to about it have) concerns the narrative structure in which chapters jump between narrators, contexts, etc. without clear indication.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
kiryasjoelvillage
Posts: 190
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2014 11:20:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/16/2014 10:59:44 PM, phantom wrote:
At 2/16/2014 9:10:58 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/16/2014 7:52:44 PM, phantom wrote:
You've probably already read A Song of Ice and Fire, but I'll just mention it in case you haven't because they're even better than the show.

I disagree.

Heathen!

JK. Those fans who assume that if you haven't read the books, or prefer the show, you're not a proper fan annoy me.

I couldn't get through the first book after watching the show. They are too similar, but the book's pacing is much slower. It's hard to read when I know everything that is going to happen (at least until I caught up to the show, which was taking way too long).

That's reasonable. Maybe you could read book 3, Storm of Swords. Most reader fans agree that it's the best book in the series and season 3 only covered about half of it, so the other half you'd be unfamiliar with.

I think people are prone to like whichever they read/saw first.

I read them almost immediately after watching all three seasons actually; that is often the case though. I definitely preferred allot of what the show did as apposed to the books, but there's just so much more in the books due to their sheer size. That being said, I can hardly see how the show creators could have done any better a job, so maybe I just prefer reading to watching in general.
Why not read something scary!
Get some goosebumps
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 8:54:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/16/2014 7:52:44 PM, phantom wrote:
You've probably already read A Song of Ice and Fire, but I'll just mention it in case you haven't because they're even better than the show.

I'm currently reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books--on book 3. They're fairly good if you like mystery thriller. I'd recommend them.

Frankenstein - Marry Shelly is excellent. It's very well written. And if you like that genre, Dracula and The Picture of Dorian Gray are both worth reading as well.

I never got into gothic anything...

I can't really think of anything else. Candide?

What kind of books do you like?
Tsar of DDO
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 9:01:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/16/2014 9:10:58 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 2/16/2014 7:52:44 PM, phantom wrote:
You've probably already read A Song of Ice and Fire, but I'll just mention it in case you haven't because they're even better than the show.

I disagree. I couldn't get through the first book after watching the show. They are too similar, but the book's pacing is much slower. It's hard to read when I know everything that is going to happen (at least until I caught up to the show, which was taking way too long). I think people are prone to like whichever they read/saw first.

I'm currently reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books--on book 3. They're fairly good if you like mystery thriller. I'd recommend them.

Frankenstein - Marry Shelly is excellent. It's very well written. And if you like that genre, Dracula and The Picture of Dorian Gray are both worth reading as well.

I can't really think of anything else. Candide?

I have never seen the show, and the book was slow for me as well. It finally got interesting as the end approached, though.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 9:57:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Well, I go Sci-Fi, so I hope these are of interests to you.

RedShirts, John Scalzi: Star Trek parody where the red shirt crew members realize they are likely to die when they go on away missions with certain commanders.

Timebound, Rysa Walker: Time line affected by ex-lover of main character's grandmother in a life before she became stranded in this time line. Sounds confusing, I know, but it's time travel. Female main character.

Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card: Futuristic setting with young strategic phenom fighting in a virtual war. There is a series on this as well which I have not finished. The main character is young brilliant teenager.

Monster Hunter International, Larry Correia: Accountant get attacked by his a**hole boss who turns out to be a werewolf. Gets offered a job with an elite group of monster hunters and find he has special abilities. This is a series and each book is around 20 hours on audible, so they're long.

Inferno, Dan Brown: Symbologist Robert Langdon must attempts to stop a madman with vast resources attempting to release a deadly toxin using symbology related to Dante's Inferno.

Lightning, Dean Koontz:A stranger keeps appearing at just the right time to help a woman in peril through out her life. Lightning strikes just before he arrives.

Hopefully, you can find something in there you like!
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Linkish1O2
Posts: 2,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 10:47:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/16/2014 7:06:49 PM, Raisor wrote:
I need a new book to read.

I'm just going to throw a few authors out there, Anthony Pierce, Stephen king, christopher paolini, and rick riordan.
You may know all them already.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
bubbatheclown
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 4:15:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The "Animorphs" book series by K. A. Applegate. It's a kid's series, but I'm telling you...you'll like it if you give it a try.
Linkish1O2
Posts: 2,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2014 6:02:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I just finished reading the first book in the series "cherub" not bad I can recommend it
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me