Wolf of Wall Street

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 9:14:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Seriously, did anyone like this movie?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 1:04:55 AM
Loved it.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 8:05:12 PM
I enjoyed it, thought it was pretty good. But it felt a lot like Goodfellas 2.0 and I would put it at the bottom of the best picture noms I have seen this year.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 8:32:52 PM
It was the best movie going experience I'd ever had. Not because I enjoyed the movie very much, but because I watched it with three conservative muslim girls. Their reactions were priceless
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 10:42:19 PM
Much better than the book, albeit a bit long.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 3:34:49 PM
I don't really get the draw of it. He did a lot of crazy drugs. Each scene is just another act of depravity.

But there's no character of plot development. It's just the same thing over and over again. When you think he's about to go into more depth and actually explain some of the finance stuff going on (if only briefly), he cuts himself off and says, "naw, you don't care about any of that stuff. Back to throwing midgets and doing Ludes."

I paused it multiple times while watching, went and did something else, and then came back to break up the monotony (hoping something different would happen).

The musical score is also really odd, imo. The music while they are on the yacht is "the O.C."-esque and the song that plays when they are supposed to be aggressively selling doesn't complement the tone of the movie.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 8:24:02 AM
bluesteel, you're a straight edge nerd who memorises passages from books as party tricks. I'm pretty sure you've never taken any sort of drug in your life. You wouldn't get the draw of it.

I personally found the movie hilarious, though granted, meaningless and monotonous. It was the diary of a real life drug addict - I nearly died laughing at the part with the cerebral palsy and he takes the cocaine like Popeye takes spinach. Been there, lol. I love cocaine, to be quite honest. The bit with the cops not being able to prove he was driving the car, the kid in the house, every f*cking character reminded me of someone I know. The dude who ate everything around him when he was being investigated, lol. It was dark and depraved, but glamorous, justifying and real. I'm currently not far off prison, lol. It normalised, allowed control - and then provided vivid imagination for those who would have it. Spinko, for example - thinking he's a boss with his smoking.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 8:27:54 AM
I think the bit where the blond lady walks in on the gay orgy was analogous too - to inspire that feeling you get when you walk into a house full of absolutely f*cked people, but without taking from the glamour of the whole thing.

It was a good movie, lol.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 8:30:11 AM
There was even something in the length of it and Leonardo DiCaprio wanting to kill himself by the end, lol.