Jump to topic:

The Late Night Wars

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2010 7:50:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Has anyone else been following the recent late night wars? I'm referring, of course, to the recent news that Jay Leno will be returning to the helm of the Tonight Show and pushing Conan back to his original time slot in the process (if he doesn't quit first).

As a long-time Conan fan, I find myself very disappointed with Leno and NBC. Leno's original plan was retirement, with this new show being more of a side project than anything else. The fact that he and NBC would agree to keep him on board after he passed the torch to Conan feels unfair, especially since the station will not allow Conan out of his contract to work elsewhere if he leaves.

I know these guys may be on past the bedtimes of most of the members here but any thoughts?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2010 7:56:42 PM
I like Leno, hate Conan -- comically anyway, I don't know about his personality or anything like that. All I gotta say is that the CEO of NBC (Zuckerman?) is a dumbass.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2010 7:58:35 PM
I don't watch them, but I hate Conan for that stupid plastic smile he has. If I had to choose one I would pick Leno.
kfc
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2010 7:58:44 PM
I agree with you Maikuru. It seems Leno just wanted to come back because he really felt useless not being there anymore. Conan was doing a good job and should have stayed - I don't want Leno back.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2010 8:02:13 PM
At 1/21/2010 7:56:42 PM, Nags wrote:
I like Leno, hate Conan -- comically anyway, I don't know about his personality or anything like that. All I gotta say is that the CEO of NBC (Zuckerman?) is a dumbass.

Comically,
Leno=Conan; they both completely rely on really crappy one liners, though Conan admittedly has a sh***er Persona.

Letterman's a prick, but he actually interviews people, and asks good questions.
Ferguson is the best funny man.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2010 8:59:04 PM
Conan gains major points for tonights show though.

A newly purchase "tonight show" racehorse, in a mink snuggie, watching restricted NFL footage on National TV.

Cost to NBC: $4.8 million : )
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2010 9:04:55 PM
At 1/21/2010 8:02:13 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Comically,
Leno=Conan; they both completely rely on really crappy one liners, though Conan admittedly has a sh***er Persona.

No way man. Conan's comedy is hilarious and intelligent. Leno's comedy smells bad.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2010 9:36:49 PM
Some of you are behind on the gossip. Conan is getting booted off of NBC, and may or may not be returning on a different channel, such as FOX or Comedy Central. After paying him and his staff $45 million, NBC doesn't want him back: http://en.wikinews.org...

That said, I think Conan is far superior. He has a certain sardonic wit and quality to him, and his knack for self-deprecation is fun to watch. Furthermore, his stuff is more raw and less polished...I like that. He doesn't take himself as seriously as Leno.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2010 1:59:09 PM
At 1/21/2010 9:04:55 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 1/21/2010 8:02:13 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Comically,

No way man. Conan's comedy is hilarious and intelligent. Leno's comedy smells bad.

I just noticed your profile picture! It's nice to know he has allies.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...