Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

"Noble Nightly Dialogues" Episode II

Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2014 10:33:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
This is the second episode of Noble Nightly Dialogues. My second guest is larztheloser and we discuss:

Edeb8
Liberalism
New Zealand Politics
Parliament

Shoot me a PM if you are interested in being on the show we are looking for more guests.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2014 10:46:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/9/2014 10:39:52 PM, larztheloser wrote:
I seem to remember speaking for slightly longer than 1 minute...

Oops. I didn't notice this. I will call my co-producer immediatly to fix this and re-upload it. It should actually be 31 mins and 58 seconds. I don't know what happened when he uploaded it.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2014 6:18:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/10/2014 5:08:25 AM, larztheloser wrote:
Hey, what's this thing I found?



You beat me to it lol. I went to sleep when he told me he was going to try to re-upload the video. He should be deleting the other one sometime today if he hasn't already.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Haroush
Posts: 1,329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2014 8:04:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
To add onto Larz's point about the government shut down here and America's fall back on our constitution, I must say first off, the entire reason that is able to happen here in the U.S. is because of political funding programs and the freedom of speech. Also, our leaders here are supposed to fall back on our constitution but the problem is if you get a political leader in presidency who has a spider web of connections to all the different government agencies here, then you have a problem. Even if you have a constitution in this case it can be changed drastically without any resistance there if someone or a group of politicians don't stand up against it.

Also, I would like to ask Larz if he feels it was liberals who created the 13 colonies here in the U.S.?
larztheloser
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2014 8:42:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/10/2014 8:04:37 AM, Haroush wrote:
Also, I would like to ask Larz if he feels it was liberals who created the 13 colonies here in the U.S.?

Not all of them, but I think the goals of the leaders of the 13 colonies were broadly liberal, more specifically anti-colonial. Economic rights and civil liberties were clearly pretty high among their concerns.
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2014 9:47:35 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
The sound quality is definitely better in this one.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2014 10:42:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/10/2014 8:04:37 AM, Haroush wrote:
Also, our leaders here are supposed to fall back on our constitution but the problem is if you get a political leader in presidency who has a spider web of connections to all the different government agencies here, then you have a problem. Even if you have a constitution in this case it can be changed drastically without any resistance there if someone or a group of politicians don't stand up against it.
I disagree, the Constitution is a difficult document to amend. To add an amendment requires a super majority. Three/Fourths of the states need to ratify an amendment if it is to be added. The President nor the Congress have the authority to change the Constitution. Don't forget states have their own constitutions as well which is very important.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Haroush
Posts: 1,329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2014 3:36:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/10/2014 10:42:55 AM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 3/10/2014 8:04:37 AM, Haroush wrote:
Also, our leaders here are supposed to fall back on our constitution but the problem is if you get a political leader in presidency who has a spider web of connections to all the different government agencies here, then you have a problem. Even if you have a constitution in this case it can be changed drastically without any resistance there if someone or a group of politicians don't stand up against it.
I disagree, the Constitution is a difficult document to amend. To add an amendment requires a super majority. Three/Fourths of the states need to ratify an amendment if it is to be added. The President nor the Congress have the authority to change the Constitution. Don't forget states have their own constitutions as well which is very important.

Well yeah, but a new law put in place can be misinterpreted as being constitutional if you have favorable supreme court judges who allow their beliefs to interpret the constitution. Basically, it's a loophole in our system.
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2014 5:50:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/10/2014 3:36:54 PM, Haroush wrote:
At 3/10/2014 10:42:55 AM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 3/10/2014 8:04:37 AM, Haroush wrote:
Also, our leaders here are supposed to fall back on our constitution but the problem is if you get a political leader in presidency who has a spider web of connections to all the different government agencies here, then you have a problem. Even if you have a constitution in this case it can be changed drastically without any resistance there if someone or a group of politicians don't stand up against it.
I disagree, the Constitution is a difficult document to amend. To add an amendment requires a super majority. Three/Fourths of the states need to ratify an amendment if it is to be added. The President nor the Congress have the authority to change the Constitution. Don't forget states have their own constitutions as well which is very important.

Well yeah, but a new law put in place can be misinterpreted as being constitutional if you have favorable supreme court judges who allow their beliefs to interpret the constitution. Basically, it's a loophole in our system.

Well I think you are being a bit too generous. I don't think it is misinterpretation because I think the Supreme Court Justices rule as they wish based off their personal interpretations. For example, the ruling on Obamacare(Affordable Care Act) which claimed it was a tax when it requires people to purchase a service. Or how Supreme Court Justice Scalia came up with a revisionist story about the Second Amendment being for personal use of firearms.

Keep in mind though because something is Constitutional does not mean it can't be repealed. The Affordable Care Act for example would be repealed if the Republicans controlled one of the houses and the executive branch.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2014 7:08:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I watched the first 3 minutes I'll have to watch the rest later. It is interesting so far.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Josh_b
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 10:42:13 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Fantastic episode. edebate you say?
I'll check it because of the nice plug you gave it.

I've changed my mind, 30 minutes is a decent amount of time.
Scrutiny Welcome

AMAA http://www.debate.org...
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 12:03:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/13/2014 10:42:13 AM, Josh_b wrote:
Fantastic episode. edebate you say?
I'll check it because of the nice plug you gave it.

I've changed my mind, 30 minutes is a decent amount of time.

That is good to here.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 12:13:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I should of explained this before. I wanted thirty minutes in order to give a decent amount of time for the guest to explain things clearly and ask multiple questions. I don't want them rushed and feel the pressure of time.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 1:51:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/14/2014 6:39:37 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
It sounds like you are saying this from a script. I once had a stutter as well :)

Who me or him? I don't have a stutter lol. The only thing that was scripted was the introduction of larz.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc