Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Is Dudley really spoiled ("Harry Potter")?

Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 4:14:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I disagree. I think the Dudleys were an upstanding family. Surely Dudley had his likes and requests, but to say he was spoiled. No. What I will say is Vernon showed favoritism, because Dudley was not magic, and Harry was a wizard from birth
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 9:14:41 AM
At 4/4/2014 4:14:32 PM, Adam2 wrote:
I disagree. I think the Dudleys were an upstanding family. Surely Dudley had his likes and requests, but to say he was spoiled. No. What I will say is Vernon showed favoritism, because Dudley was not magic, and Harry was a wizard from birth

Absolutely, Dudley was spoiled. I'll just quote from the movie since it's easier to remember:

Dudley: How many [presents] are there?
Vernon: 36. Counted them myself.
Dudley: 36? But last year, last year I had 37!
Vernon: Well some of them are quite a bit bigger than last year's--
Dudley: I don't care how big they are!

Favouritism is an act of Vernon, sure--but showing favouritism doesn't preclude spoiling a child. Being spoiled is how Dudley reacts to the favouritism, in demanding much more.

To say the Dursleys were upstanding though is just trollin'.
yang.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 9:19:58 AM
At 4/5/2014 9:14:41 AM, tulle wrote:

Absolutely, Dudley was spoiled. I'll just quote from the movie since it's easier to remember:

Favouritism is an act of Vernon, sure--but showing favouritism doesn't preclude spoiling a child. Being spoiled is how Dudley reacts to the favouritism, in demanding much more.

I don't admire what they did, I just am saying that Dudley wasn't someone who would hurt his parents. Sometimes frustrated, but not like most kids today.

Anyways, types like him are why I would never live in northern England (Durlsey is a northern name).
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 9:22:00 AM

Perhaps spoiled isn't the operative word here. Maybe it's a brat. OK, so Dudley got what we wanted, but I don't think he was downright a brat. He was a good kid to his parents (just not to Harry).
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 9:22:56 AM

Besides, it was Dudley's birthday anyways, how you expect someone to feel happy like that anyways?
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 9:49:27 AM
He was a brat. If we are to take Harry's word for it, Dudley beat up on kids all the time. Harry was his favourite punching bag. Acting a certain way toward adults doesn't make you less of a brat. To his parents he was downright demanding---not just on his birthday. In the first book, he wanted to read Harry's letters and he would hit his father with his Smeltings stick. That's pretty bratty.

To other children he was abusive, which his parents encouraged.
yang.
Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 9:53:56 AM
At 4/5/2014 9:49:27 AM, tulle wrote:
He was a brat. If we are to take Harry's word for it, Dudley beat up on kids all the time. Harry was his favourite punching bag. Acting a certain way toward adults doesn't make you less of a brat. To his parents he was downright demanding---not just on his birthday. In the first book, he wanted to read Harry's letters and he would hit his father with his Smeltings stick. That's pretty bratty.

To other children he was abusive, which his parents encouraged.

Well obviously he acted that way. But then again his parents had an orthodox view on things, and as we all know orthodox cultures say that it's ok to treat others like garbage.