Jump to topic:

What Happened To The TV Dinner?

RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 10:19:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Of course the usual frozen foods in the refrigerated section of the grocery store can be considered TV dinners. But the TV dinners of old don't seem to exist where the emphasis was combining eating with TV viewing.

A problem I think is that TV is not compatible with eating anymore. There's a very good reason why it's considered bad manners to say/talk about certain things at the dinner table. Some certain subjects cause people to lose their appetite. And your typical TV show (usually comedies) include all of these non-dinner table topics in their programming. I'm not talking about sex and violence....or even gore. I'm talking about (the major one) the all too typical references to someone getting sick. Every once in awhile....ok. But it seems to be extremely common. Why? Why do they have to do it?

Who wants to eat a TV dinner in the traditional fashion anymore?
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 5:04:30 AM
At 4/12/2014 12:47:50 PM, Adam2 wrote:
TV dinners died out because they're crap
It's true that your typical TV dinner was not the standard for healthy food. Today's equivalent may be a bit healthier (at least advertised that way), but they've removed the TV theme.

The idea of a TV dinner was to market the pleasure of enjoying a meal while being entertained at the same time. Since a big part of modern entertainment involves the gross out element, the theme of enjoying a meal is no longer compatible.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 4:22:19 AM
At 4/12/2014 12:47:50 PM, Adam2 wrote:
TV dinners died out because they're crap
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.