Jump to topic:

Suggested reading list?

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 12:00:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
What do y'all like to read? Im trying to formulate a summer reading list. Suggestions? I like Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and mystery best. But i'll enjoy just about anything.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mr.Fredin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 9:56:19 AM
I suppose it really depends on your preferences in relation to publication dates and similar factors.

Sci-Fi
The Barsoom Series by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
The Crusades Trilogy by Jan Guillou
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Are a few among many you could be reading.
Owlz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2014 11:35:53 AM
For SciFi I recommend the works of Isaac Asimov. In particular the Foundation books. If you're up for a "Young Adult" category series then I would recommend MacHale's Pendragon series. The Pendragon series is a great combination between Fantasy and SciFi. Also, pretty much the entire series revolves around mysteries as the protagonist is "left in dark" about pretty much everything. Seems like the kinda thing you'd be looking for. Please see my profile for a more books I've read, enjoyed, and would recommend.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2014 1:51:10 PM
Hey, at some point you will have to read sci-fi classics, just to be able to converse with other sci-fi fans. And, of course, the reason they are classics is because they are good!

"Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert Heinlein
"Dune" by Frank Herbert
"Foundation" by Isaac Asimov (series)
"Ringworld" by Larry Niven (series)
"The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams (series)
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2014 11:04:49 AM
If you're up for nonfiction, I suggest "The Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell. Brilliant book. It made me view the world differently.

For Sci-Fi, I suggest "A Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. Be warned though, this book is very explicit. There is a lot of drug usage and sex.