Jump to topic:

Online Gaming Slurs

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 10:09:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm high as a kite and everyone knows that your thoughts ramble and all you wanna do is talk and write things down when that happens sooo here goes... Ps. I'm only mentioning my condition to explain the long-windedness and tangents. Read at your own risk. If you don't wanna, just don't - don't bother b-tching about it :p

- - - - - - - - -

I've noticed a few things about playing Modern Warfare 2 online these past few months. First, it's no secret that people are more prone to be a-holes behind a screen be it a computer screen or a television screen. However the people who play MW2 (and maybe other games - I don't really play a lot) take it to a whole new level. The 2 words I hear most often are n-gger and fagg-t. Granted, I use the F word too lol.

Which brings me to my next point... It's okay to say the F word because I'm gay, right? Like black people can say the N word? Random tangent: Most gays I know are not upright at all and have totally embraced the F word. I know gay men who love being called a fagg-t and wear that badge with pride lol even if it's said in a nasty tone by a straight man. Mayhaps if black people stopped trying to put racial dibs on a word, it would eliminate its hateful power. Just a thought.

Anyway I use the F word while playing MW2 all the time lol in a joking way, I guess. Anyone who plays the game knows it's hard not to yell at the TV. But recently the use of the N word and all out verbal brawls I hear every night are becoming frequent and obnoxious. I feel like every single night I hear black and white people screaming at each other and calling people the N word regardless of race. I played with black and white teammates tonight and even on the same team they spent the whole time arguing and calling each other n-gger fagg-ts, etc.

So... Is this a guy thing? Are men REALLY that immature (once and for all proving that women are superior :p)? Is it the people who play? Is it one particular group of people instigating another? On one hand it can seem like pure racism coming to the surface. I noticed that a good majority of the time, the racist f-cks are from the south (and even have TEXAS in their username a lot of the time) but a part of me thinks that guys just like the drama.

Yes, guys think they're so "manly" and that girls are the drama queens. Meanwhile, I think guys purposefully create hostility and drama for themselves to make things more interesting. For instance, I noticed that playing when you're arguing with people (even your teammates lol) it actually makes the game more exciting. Last night when some guy was like "GREAT, we have the GIRL on our team" I enjoyed playing more because I was hyped up to get more kills than him.

When I did, I turned on my mic and said, "Yeah and the girl kicked your a-ss" even though he was on my team... especially because he kept saying things like, "You should be in the kitchen making me a sandwich" etc. My personal favorite is when they say, "Suck my d-ck" when we're on opposite sides, I pwn them, and then say, "No suck MY d-ck." The point was that him insulting me made me want something more and therefore made the game more "meaningful" maybe?

One night I'm not proud of lol I was home alone a little tipsy (my gf was away at her parent's house) and as soon as I started playing, this black man was like "You f-cking b-tch dyke!" at me for no reason... Wtf? Literally no reason. He assumed I was gay because I was playing a video game lol good call but still the hostility in his voice pissed me off. I turned on my mic and was like, "Wtf is your problem, b-tch? What are you excited cuz you got your welfare check in the mail and got a new PS3? Are you happy you got 2 more kills than me? I guess that's because you're used to shooting guns, hood rat." Then we just started screaming and cursing at each other - I cursed louder - finally I left the lobby and laughed and passed out. Yes, that was immature of me (I wanna say "He started it!" cuz he did).

But anyway the point here is that bickering with him made the game more interesting. I like playing either on a team where people work together strategically and actually try (to keep it competitive) or where people are fighting lol to keep it competitive. I see this trend especially in males, especially online (flexing e-peens, online gaming peens, etc.) and I think this obvious display of immature and ignorant hostility needs to be recognized as typical male drama. I guess we can even see this n DDO. So fellas, recognize the drama queen within before pointing fingers and casting stones.

That's it for now!

- Drama Queen 09 Nominee
President of DDO
killimination
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2010 1:21:59 AM
I myself play texas hold em poker, and enjoy chatting to my opponents in the text window, although i never use the N word, i practically accuse all the males as being "gay faags", lol. im not homophobic. Its just a guy thing i suppose. and i have found that when im either just typing jibberish or arguing with people i tend to play a better game.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2010 12:00:06 PM
tl;dr

And the closest thing you have to a slur is when you moan about the lack of pot tp get high.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2010 1:11:10 PM
At 2/9/2010 10:09:05 PM, theLwerd wrote:

Which brings me to my next point... It's okay to say the F word because I'm gay, right? Like black people can say the N word?

No. In both cases it's still stupid and unnecessary whether you're gay or black.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2010 9:22:39 AM
At 2/10/2010 1:11:10 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Which brings me to my next point... It's okay to say the F word because I'm gay, right? Like black people can say the N word?

No. In both cases it's still stupid and unnecessary whether you're gay or black.

It was a rhetorical question, and obviously opinion-based.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2010 9:23:36 AM
At 2/10/2010 12:00:06 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
tl;dr

The internet doesn't dominate my life to the point of taking over my vocabulary... what does this mean?

And the closest thing you have to a slur is when you moan about the lack of pot tp get high.

Haha you wish you heard me "moaning." I mentioned it once or twice - no biggie.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2010 12:18:23 PM
At 2/11/2010 9:23:36 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 2/10/2010 12:00:06 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
tl;dr

The internet doesn't dominate my life to the point of taking over my vocabulary... what does this mean?

Too Long; Didn't Read

Haha you wish you heard me "moaning." I mentioned it once or twice - no biggie.

It seemed like a biggie
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
bkelley211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2010 11:55:48 PM
You can actually talk to each other over a mic? Wow, that adds a level of communication that shouldn't be allowed.

What is your screen name? Maybe that's why he thought you were gay. How did you know he was black? A profile?

Your example was a pretty good reason why this happens. People get high and/or drunk and play these games...words flow a lot more freely. I stay away from using the F or N word. I might call a friend a homo, but not the F word. How do people use language like this online and keep it out of their actual lives? Do they hold back that much?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2010 8:22:46 AM
At 2/11/2010 11:55:48 PM, bkelley211 wrote:
You can actually talk to each other over a mic? Wow, that adds a level of communication that shouldn't be allowed.

Why shouldn't it be allowed? If you don't like what another person has to say, you can mute them and not hear them. However it adds a strategic element to the game. You can talk to your teammates and say stuff like "There's a guy hiding behind the bridge" or just talk to people (yes - including talking smack) in general. And yes, this "technology" has been available for quite some time - at least 5 years.

What is your screen name? Maybe that's why he thought you were gay. How did you know he was black? A profile?

My PS3 username is Ubermenschen so it doesn't scream "gay" at all. It essentially means super-human. My clan tag (the little title I can put before my name) said GIRL; he assumed I was gay just because I was a girl and playing Modern Warfare 2 - a war game. Also, I could tell he was black by his voice. Please don't go all PC on me -- I think we can all agree that sometimes you can just tell these things. Plus, he was talking to his other friends who were playing in his group and they kept calling each other "nigga" and all.

Your example was a pretty good reason why this happens. People get high and/or drunk and play these games...words flow a lot more freely. I stay away from using the F or N word. I might call a friend a homo, but not the F word. How do people use language like this online and keep it out of their actual lives? Do they hold back that much?

I don't think this happens because people play high or drunk. The majority of the time I play sober and I think most do too. However even when I play high or whatever I can still manage to not call people names. I think people just use these words (a) because they're hiding behind the screen -- these kids would never call a black man the N word to his face and (b) female, black and gay slurs or references are always negative. If you want to insult someone, you call them a "pu-ssy" or a "fa-ggot" or apparently a "ni-gger." It's a sad cultural thing I guess. Ugh.
President of DDO
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2010 8:35:11 AM
Most of the people you play with are also neglecting their children :p I don't know how many times I've heard, "Daddddyyy, I'm hunnngrrry!" "Be quiet!"

I would also expect this type of "adult" to use the words n*gger and f*g when talking "smack." ;) Talking smack over a video game is also pretty damn immature :p I could understand if you are getting into a real fist fight, but you all are playing a game together... for fun... I don't get it :p
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2010 8:39:13 AM
At 2/12/2010 8:35:11 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Most of the people you play with are also neglecting their children :p I don't know how many times I've heard, "Daddddyyy, I'm hunnngrrry!" "Be quiet!"

Yes, I've pointed that out to you a bunch of times. And no, they usually say "I'm bored!" and the dad says, "You wanna play?" and they say "Yes!" and the sad says, "Ok bud - 1 more round... After this round..." lol kinda turns the tables on the parent/child relationship :)

Talking smack over a video game is also pretty damn immature :p I could understand if you are getting into a real fist fight, but you all are playing a game together... for fun... I don't get it :p

It keeps things competitive. A natural instinct is to yell out in frustration when you screw up or keep screwing up. Calling the other person a slur somehow makes it more exciting lol or aggressive. I think people just like the competition. I don't think it's healthy though to be using those words in particular. Not only does it reflect bad on society (and remember you're playing with people from all over the world) but also perpetuates the acceptance or "norm" of that type of behavior in society.
President of DDO
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2010 8:51:41 AM
At 2/12/2010 8:39:13 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 2/12/2010 8:35:11 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:

Yes, I've pointed that out to you a bunch of times. And no, they usually say "I'm bored!" and the dad says, "You wanna play?" and they say "Yes!" and the sad says, "Ok bud - 1 more round... After this round..." lol kinda turns the tables on the parent/child relationship :)

Lol, I've heard "I'm hungry!" and "Quiet!" quite a few times, and also the one you just mentioned.

Talking smack over a video game is also pretty damn immature :p I could understand if you are getting into a real fist fight, but you all are playing a game together... for fun... I don't get it :p

It keeps things competitive. A natural instinct is to yell out in frustration when you screw up or keep screwing up. Calling the other person a slur somehow makes it more exciting lol or aggressive. I think people just like the competition. I don't think it's healthy though to be using those words in particular. Not only does it reflect bad on society (and remember you're playing with people from all over the world) but also perpetuates the acceptance or "norm" of that type of behavior in society.

Sure, I guess. I know my brother's... vocabulary... expanded once he started playing online games. Now all he calls everyone is a "f*ggot."

And sure, I'll yell in frustration as well when something happens... but I don't think I like the idea of really directing it to them (this is why I don't use the mic). Hell, they're just playing a game. I shoot people, they shoot me lol - point of the game, no? But, once again, you're all playing together for fun. If the other "n*ggers" everyone is playing with weren't playing, then you wouldn't have much of a multiplayer game :)
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
bkelley211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2010 6:43:41 PM
At 2/12/2010 8:51:41 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Sure, I guess. I know my brother's... vocabulary... expanded once he started playing online games. Now all he calls everyone is a "f*ggot."

Great use of the ellipsis. I couldn't agree more.

And sure, I'll yell in frustration as well when something happens... but I don't think I like the idea of really directing it to them (this is why I don't use the mic).

Yeah, I would think the mic would add a lot of extra animosity, though some view it as excitement. Listening is part of the game yet so is the trash talking. I may want to mute someone cuz of some of his language yet he may also feed important info.

I agree with people holding back cuz they don't want to say these things to others' faces, but I would think the more you use this language, the more likely you are to think this way. And even if they don't say it, thinking it doesn't help society.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2010 6:45:33 PM
I generally use "statist" as it is the worst insult I can think of.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2010 7:37:43 PM
At 2/13/2010 6:45:33 PM, Reasoning wrote:

That's embarrassing.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2010 7:47:36 PM
At 2/13/2010 7:37:43 PM, Nags wrote:

That's embarrassing.

Most of the people on rs don't know what I'm talking about.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2010 7:54:31 PM
At 2/13/2010 7:47:36 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 2/13/2010 7:37:43 PM, Nags wrote:

That's embarrassing.

"rs" = runescape ?

I don't know what's more sad, playing runescape or insulting people on runescape by calling them statists.

PS- Being called a statist isn't an insult.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2010 7:56:35 PM
At 2/13/2010 7:54:31 PM, Nags wrote:
At 2/13/2010 7:47:36 PM, Reasoning wrote:
"rs" = runescape ?
I don't know what's more sad, playing runescape or insulting people on runescape by calling them statists.
PS- Being called a statist isn't an insult.

You obviously don't appreciate my humor.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2010 8:05:11 PM
At 2/13/2010 7:56:35 PM, Reasoning wrote:

Correct. I'd use "enjoy" rather than "appreciate" though, as "appreciate" implies that I should be grateful of your humor, or lack thereof.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2010 8:18:56 PM
At 2/13/2010 8:05:11 PM, Nags wrote:
At 2/13/2010 7:56:35 PM, Reasoning wrote:

Correct. I'd use "enjoy" rather than "appreciate" though, as "appreciate" implies that I should be grateful of your humor, or lack thereof.

Why the hostility?
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2010 8:24:12 PM
At 2/13/2010 8:18:56 PM, Reasoning wrote:
Why the hostility?

What hostility? Am I not allowed to critique you on the fact that you insult people on runescape by calling them statists? This is, after all, a debate site. The better question is: Why so sensitive?
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2010 8:25:57 PM
At 2/13/2010 8:24:12 PM, Nags wrote:
At 2/13/2010 8:18:56 PM, Reasoning wrote:
Why the hostility?

What hostility? Am I not allowed to critique you on the fact that you insult people on runescape by calling them statists? This is, after all, a debate site. The better question is: Why so sensitive?

You obviously didn't get the joke.
bringoutyourdead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2010 8:29:41 PM
When I did, I turned on my mic and said, "Yeah and the girl kicked your a-ss" even though he was on my team... especially because he kept saying things like, "You should be in the kitchen making me a sandwich" etc. My personal favorite is when they say, "Suck my d-ck" when we're on opposite sides, I pwn them, and then say, "No suck MY d-ck." The point was that him insulting me made me want something more and therefore made the game more "meaningful" maybe?

When did this happen? and what was the screenname?

It quite possibly could have been me.

When he said that you should be in the kitchen did he say "ham sammich"
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2010 8:55:57 PM
It's just funny. Even you seem to get a kick out of it sometimes. Plus when you're blowing stuff up and all it's more fun to go crazy.
DontBeRacist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2010 11:08:22 AM
After an argument like that just unplug your mic, get a nuke in the following game and one of two things will happen. 1. They will leave the lobby. 2. You will hear them say "Whaaaat??? Niiice. That nuke was tight!"
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2010 11:22:44 AM
At 2/13/2010 8:29:41 PM, bringoutyourdead wrote:

When did this happen? and what was the screenname?

It quite possibly could have been me.

When he said that you should be in the kitchen did he say "ham sammich"

Lol, I don't know. But I'm Ubermenschen.
President of DDO