Jump to topic:

I'm going to be on Tedx!

Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2014 3:05:01 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I've been given the opportunity to speak at Tedx (if I pass the audition), but I don't know what to talk about.

Auditions are in a few weeks.

What should I talk about?
The_Scapegoat_bleats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2014 4:23:27 AM
At 5/30/2014 3:05:01 AM, Defro wrote:
I've been given the opportunity to speak at Tedx (if I pass the audition), but I don't know what to talk about.

Possible topics that spontaneoulsy jumped to my mind:
- Does a high intelligence makes us tragic heroes?
- Space exploration and a shift to "green" technology and research: Can we have both and still be honest with ourselves?
- Virtual and augmented reality: an easy way around bettering the REAL world?
- Digital technology, E-waste and global warming: should we tone down on the level of technology we depend upon?

Anything you'd like?
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2014 4:53:50 AM
At 5/30/2014 4:23:27 AM, The_Scapegoat_bleats wrote:
At 5/30/2014 3:05:01 AM, Defro wrote:

Possible topics that spontaneoulsy jumped to my mind:
- Does a high intelligence makes us tragic heroes?
- Space exploration and a shift to "green" technology and research: Can we have both and still be honest with ourselves?
- Virtual and augmented reality: an easy way around bettering the REAL world?
- Digital technology, E-waste and global warming: should we tone down on the level of technology we depend upon?

Anything you'd like?

Whoa....I don't think I'd have the credibility for the last three. I'm just a high school kid. I would certainly be interested in doing the first one. Can you elaborate on it? By the way, it's good to see you back!
The_Scapegoat_bleats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2014 6:47:29 AM
At 5/30/2014 4:53:50 AM, Defro wrote:
Whoa....I don't think I'd have the credibility for the last three. I'm just a high school kid. I would certainly be interested in doing the first one. Can you elaborate on it? By the way, it's good to see you back!

I'm sorry, I'm not "back". Two days left on my clock, but I keep an eye open for my friends. Always.

The idea of the topic of your choice would be this:
"With great power comes great responsibility."
There is no greater power than that of the human mind on our planet right now.
Highly intelligent people are thus extremely gifted, but also bear a greater burden of responsibility.
A developed mind will also set you apart from most of humanity. Some will admire you, others will envy you, most will just not understand you.
Then there's the problem of boredom. Being highly intelligent puts a lot of strain on human relationships, as most of the time, intelligent people are ahead of others and are easily bored by the comparative slowness of others' thoughts and words.

So, there's a conflict here: as highly intelligent people have the potential to save the world (be heroes) at the same time they often have a weak connection to the very people they would serve (tragic).
Add to that that radical ideas on how to turn the fate of the world around will most certainly be unpopular, and you have the makings of a tragic hero indeed.

I hope that's some kind of inspiration. :-)
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2014 8:05:33 AM
At 5/30/2014 6:47:29 AM, The_Scapegoat_bleats wrote:
At 5/30/2014 4:53:50 AM, Defro wrote:

I'm sorry, I'm not "back". Two days left on my clock, but I keep an eye open for my friends. Always.

The idea of the topic of your choice would be this:
"With great power comes great responsibility."
There is no greater power than that of the human mind on our planet right now.
Highly intelligent people are thus extremely gifted, but also bear a greater burden of responsibility.
A developed mind will also set you apart from most of humanity. Some will admire you, others will envy you, most will just not understand you.
Then there's the problem of boredom. Being highly intelligent puts a lot of strain on human relationships, as most of the time, intelligent people are ahead of others and are easily bored by the comparative slowness of others' thoughts and words.

So, there's a conflict here: as highly intelligent people have the potential to save the world (be heroes) at the same time they often have a weak connection to the very people they would serve (tragic).
Add to that that radical ideas on how to turn the fate of the world around will most certainly be unpopular, and you have the makings of a tragic hero indeed.

I hope that's some kind of inspiration. :-)

I love it! Can you help me with my speech later? If you have free time?
The_Scapegoat_bleats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 1:55:44 AM
At 5/30/2014 8:05:33 AM, Defro wrote:

I love it! Can you help me with my speech later? If you have free time?

Sure thing!
Send me an e-mail!