Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Political Entertainment

Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2010 1:52:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
What's your opinion on political artists (entertainers)? I feel like far too often I hear "So and so needs to shut up because they don't know what they're talking about. They're just actors." Now I don't really think that's a fair thing to say. Realistically, we're just students so what right do WE have to express an opinion if they don't? And we use DDO as a place to platform and showcase our ideals, so why can't they use THEIR stage, so to speak, to do the same?

Granted nobody probably cares about Paris Hilton's opinion, but that's their prerogative (and perhaps responsibility) to ignore it. Yeah, Oprah campaigned for Barack and so what? Is she not entitled? Is she somehow wrong for doing so? That's an opinion I've come across a lot regarding vocal political entertainers. Some notable actors are Leonardo DiCaprio (big environmentalist), Ben Affleck and Matt Damon (huge Democrats) and Sean Penn, Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins as joked about in Team America.

Also, let's consider entire movements that defined musical generations (notably the 60s) with groups like The Beatles who had a huge influence on politics and vice versa. In today's age we have guys like Bono, and I'll admit that I can't stand U2 but I admire Bono for being an activist of sorts and using his fame to extend his values. They're not terrible ones. We also have the punk genre (real punk - not that Simple Plan crap) which is very political. So, ladies and gents, what is some of your favorite POLITICAL music? I really like System of a Down.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2010 2:03:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Megadeth has some really political songs, especially in regards to the cold war.

Symphony of Destruction deals with dictatorships and the like.

Endgame deals with the FEMA camp abduction conspiracies

Peace sells deals with the ineffectiveness of the U.N., as well as Metal lover stereotypes
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2010 2:06:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have nothing against them, but what I hate is when an artist sings a dumb song about peace jut to get famous.
kfc
youhavejustlostthegame
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2010 2:12:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/17/2010 1:52:57 PM, theLwerd wrote:
why can't they use THEIR stage, so to speak, to do the same?

Mainly because most of them (not all) are politically stupid and think that their fame is due to how much people love and admire their political opinion rather than their acting ability.

That's why people take Warren's Buffet's Opinion on the Economy more seriously than Leonardo. Buffet is famous for economics. Actors are famous for actors.

I want to listen to an Economists opinion on economics not an actors opinion on it.

Besides most actors are out of touch with reality and don't clearly think through most of their opinions.

In simplest terms: Actors are not actors because they're geniuses and philosophers.

I'm not saying all actors aren't smart, I'm just saying that most are out of touch with reality and don't pay attention to politics on a daily basis.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2010 2:56:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/17/2010 2:12:42 PM, youhavejustlostthegame wrote:
At 2/17/2010 1:52:57 PM, theLwerd wrote:
why can't they use THEIR stage, so to speak, to do the same?

Mainly because most of them (not all) are politically stupid and think that their fame is due to how much people love and admire their political opinion rather than their acting ability.

That's why people take Warren's Buffet's Opinion on the Economy more seriously than Leonardo. Buffet is famous for economics. Actors are famous for actors.

I want to listen to an Economists opinion on economics not an actors opinion on it.

Besides most actors are out of touch with reality and don't clearly think through most of their opinions.

In simplest terms: Actors are not actors because they're geniuses and philosophers.

I'm not saying all actors aren't smart, I'm just saying that most are out of touch with reality and don't pay attention to politics on a daily basis.

Okay, so why should anyone care about YOUR opinions? If you say, "Nobody has to" then the same can be said and applied to actors.
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2010 3:04:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Okay, so why should anyone care about YOUR opinions? If you say, "Nobody has to" then the same can be said and applied to actors.

The average actor has a life, not an account on a debate site. :P
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
youhavejustlostthegame
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2010 4:00:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/17/2010 2:56:36 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Okay, so why should anyone care about YOUR opinions? If you say, "Nobody has to" then the same can be said and applied to actors.

My participation on this site indicates that I pay attention to politics on a daily basis. And I'm poor as crap thus "in touch" with mainstream society.

Plus nobody has to care about my opinions because they aren't getting them shoved down their throat via TV. I don't act like I'm a political guru and announce my opinion on TV. If I did I'd be fine with people saying "he's a poor college student what does he know".

Something that I would think I'm generally qualified to talk about on TV and not get booed about is Computers and Retirement investing because I pay a lot of attention to it and am rather knowledgeable in those fields.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2010 4:23:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/17/2010 2:56:36 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 2/17/2010 2:12:42 PM, youhavejustlostthegame wrote:
At 2/17/2010 1:52:57 PM, theLwerd wrote:
why can't they use THEIR stage, so to speak, to do the same?

Mainly because most of them (not all) are politically stupid and think that their fame is due to how much people love and admire their political opinion rather than their acting ability.

That's why people take Warren's Buffet's Opinion on the Economy more seriously than Leonardo. Buffet is famous for economics. Actors are famous for actors.

I want to listen to an Economists opinion on economics not an actors opinion on it.

Besides most actors are out of touch with reality and don't clearly think through most of their opinions.

In simplest terms: Actors are not actors because they're geniuses and philosophers.

I'm not saying all actors aren't smart, I'm just saying that most are out of touch with reality and don't pay attention to politics on a daily basis.

Okay, so why should anyone care about YOUR opinions? If you say, "Nobody has to" then the same can be said and applied to actors.

You shouldn't care about our opinions, only about what makes sense. If an actor actually presented an argument supported by facts, experiments, and logic, then I would listen to the facts, experiments, and logic, not necessarily the actor (or at least not "because" of the actor). And I would hope that is what everyone does. People shouldn't listen to Panda because he has so many posts. People shouldn't listen to you because you have so many wins. People shouldn't listen to Ragnar because he is DDO president. People shouldn't listen to actors because they are famous. People shouldn't listen to anyone for anything other then the strength of the argument.

And the only time someone should even care what someone's title is (like economist, or doctor, or PhD, or Noble Prize winner) is when that person admits that they don't know enough about the issue to make an informed decision on it and so they must trust in someone else and they are deciding on who to trust in.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
youhavejustlostthegame
Posts: 44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2010 4:31:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/17/2010 4:23:29 PM, OreEle wrote:
People shouldn't listen to Ragnar because he is DDO president.

*A black bag is stuffed and tied over OreEle's head and all goes black. Then a sinister voice says "hello I am Mr. Kreedy but my friends call me Cody Franklin. Do you know why you're here today? OreEle looks around and realizes that she is in the place that she will die in*
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2010 4:34:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/17/2010 4:31:11 PM, youhavejustlostthegame wrote:
At 2/17/2010 4:23:29 PM, OreEle wrote:
People shouldn't listen to Ragnar because he is DDO president.

*A black bag is stuffed and tied over OreEle's head and all goes black. Then a sinister voice says "hello I am Mr. Kreedy but my friends call me Cody Franklin. Do you know why you're here today? OreEle looks around and realizes that he is in the place that he will die in*

fix'd

unless they did something to me in transit, but I think I might have noticed losing a 4 1/2 pound appendage.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2010 10:41:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
My President is Black. Young Jeezy.

My favorite lyric: "Just cause you got opinions, does that make you a politician?"
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2010 11:05:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Jay-Z's remix of My President is Black is pretty good too.

The Obligatory. Crush on Obama by Obama Girl.

Yes We Can by will.i.am.

The last one vid is a spoof of TI's Whatever You Like entitled: OBAMA- Whatever I Like. It has over 16 million views.

Of course, anything by JibJab.

---

These songs were specifically for the 2008 Election, I'll put some more general ones in my next post.