Jump to topic:

Once Upon a DDO Episode 14

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 3:20:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Episode 13 can be found here: http://www.debate.org...

2 Weeks Earlier

"I know why you have come," the Spellmaster told Airmax.

"Oh," Airmax said cleverly. He couldn't even tell if the Spellmaster was male or female. Despite his own powers of Moderation, he felt a sense of hopeless despair wash over him. He wanted desperately to turn and flee, to run back through the Pollust and reach the safety of the Kingdom. But he couldn't.

"As it happens," the Spellmaster said, circling Airmax, "your interests align with ours. We shall grant you the power to change the Kingdom."

"Oh," Airmax repeated his intelligent quip again. This conversation was not occurring at all as he'd expected. He thought he'd have to debate and convince the Spellmaster. Instead he was simply being offered the means to save the Kingdom. It was...good. Too good.

"What do you want in return?" Airmax asked warily. A deep-throated gurgle emanated from the Spellmaster, and it took Airmax a few seconds to recognize it as a laugh.

"Nothing you can grant," the Spellmaster replied. "However, to cast the spell you seek, you must pay a heavy price."

Airmax forced himself not to sigh. He'd known it wouldn't be that easy. "What's the price?"

The Spellmaster made the sound again. "The heart of the one you care for most." Airmax froze, stunned, and before he could react, there was a blinding flash of light, and the Spellmaster was gone.

The scene returned to normal. The stars overhead resumed twinkling. The leaves continued rustling on the trees. The chill dissipated as quickly as it had come, restoring warmth to the land around Airmax. The entire world breathed again, and it was as though the Spellmaster had never appeared.

Laughter sliced through Airmax's frenzied thoughts.

Airmax whirled around and spotted a familiar figure leaning against a tree. The figure walked forward.

"Oh, Airmax!" Imabench said, still laughing. "I would HATE to be your best pal right now."

Airmax blinked. The sight of Imabench temporarily drove his conversation with the Spellmaster from his mind. "Imabench! What are you doing here? You're supposed to be under house arrest."

Imabench shrugged. "Ah, well. I won't tell if you won't. Besides, you know me. Drama and I are in a relationship. Wherever she goes, I must follow."

Airmax turned away. He had bigger issues to deal with than the Duke of Trolls. The Spellmaster's visit had inverted the world. But he had no one else to talk to at the moment.

"What should I do?" He asked.

Imabench chuckled. "You're asking me? Wow, Maxie, you must really be desperate."

Airmax groaned. "You're right. Never mind. I already know what you're going to say. Airmax, it's fvcking stupid! You're fvcking stupid! Insults are the only weapons against the stupid." He shook his head. "Juggle, what I am doing?"

Imabench strode forward and placed an arm around Airmax's shoulders. "Well, as the Duke of Trolls, my advice on this highly delicate matter is - do it."

"What?"

"Do it." Imabench leaned in. "It's a wonderful idea. Change the Kingdom. You have my full support." Airmax opened and closed his mouth, lost for words. This might have been the biggest surprise today, and that was saying something. Imabench whispered, "the question, Maxie, is whose heart will you break?"

Present Day

Bookworm retrieved the small brass key from its hiding place beneath the loose cobblestone and unlocked the door to her workplace, Pop News in a Jif.

Subtlety had never been Jifpop's strongest point.

Jifpop sat at a maple desk across the room. He was doing his best to look as professional as possible. He'd even visited the Practitioners of the Silver Arts to acquire what he called a monocle. Bookworm was glad he'd gone without her. The Practitioners unnerved her. She wasn't offended by them, like the Cult of Juggle was. The Practitioners had done much for the Kingdom of DDO - they developed the electrical network, for instance, and the ranged weapons called guns. All the same, their sorcery set her on edge. It wasn't like Moderator magic. The further away she stayed from them, the happier she was.

"Bookworm!" Jifpop rose from the desk, maintaining his neutral expression. The monocle looked ridiculous hanging from his eye. "It's quite late - or, rather early, depending on your perspective. What are you doing here?"

"Hey," Bookworm smiled. "I was just coming to do my job."

Jifpop's expression warmed. "Oh, wonderful! I'm buried under paperwork! We have to get out all these wanted ads for Daytona. He's gone missing, you know. I knew he was flaky. Wanting to run for President and all. I always said he was untrustworthy, didn't I?"

"Yes, sir," Bookworm nodded, knowing perfectly well Jifpop had never said anything of the sort.

"Mikal wants them out," Jifpop continued, speaking rapidly. "I always liked Mikal, you know. I'm on his side. He knows that. He knows that. He just needs reassurance, that's all. It's understandable. I'll help him find these enemies of the Kingdom. And I'm even planning to write an article about Rina." He nodded to himself. "Yeah." He walked over to stand before Bookworm. "Well, don't just stand there, Bookworm! Help me out!"

"Yes, sir," Bookworm nodded. "I'm here to do my job."

And, having said that, she pulled a knife out from her sleeve and thrust it into Jifpop's chest.

His eyes widened. His mouth dropped wide. Incoherent sounds began gushing forth from it as a large stain gradually spilled along his coal-black jacket. He touched the handle of the knife protruding from his chest. His eyes fell back on Bookworm. He worked his mouth, as though he wished to say something, but no words emerged. Slowly, his eyes rolled back in his head, and he toppled over backwards, falling to the ground with a thump.

Bookworm bent down and pulled the knife free. It squelched as it came out, and her face contorted in disgust. She held the blade away from her as she used the cover of the Jifpop Chronicles to wipe away the blood.

She would inform Mikal in the morning, exactly as Zaradi had advised. For now, though, the Jifpop Chronicles would need a new name. Perhaps something involving tea....

kbub's body reacted before her mind. She had the dagger out and aimed in YYW's general direction before YYW could even stand. He appraised her as he rose from the seat.

"And what do you plan to do with that?"

"You won't stop me, YYW," kbub said, circling to the right. If she could just slip past him, she could escape. Flee the house and run - somewhere. The safehouse changed every week as a measure of security, but perhaps she could stay at one of the older ones.

Or perhaps she should just kill YYW here. He didn't appear to be armed, and his death would be a powerful blow against the forces of imperial tyranny.

Her knuckles whitened as she clenched the dagger harder.

"Are you going to kill me?" YYW sounded vaguely amused. "Don't make things worse for yourself, kbub. Come in quietly."

"Just leave," kbub growled. "Go back to bsh1."

"Business before pleasure," YYW said calmly.

kbub raised the dagger. "Then you've chosen wrong."

And she lunged forward, slicing with the blade. It halved the distance to YYW in less than a second, and halved that new distance in the remainder. YYW swayed gently backward, as though pushed by a breeze, and the blade met with only empty air.

kbub corrected herself immediately, swiping horizontally across YYW's chest. YYW stepped backward again, and then shifted two inches to the right as kbub brought the blade down again. This time, he grabbed her wrist and twisted, forcing her to drop the dagger.

"That," YYW breathed into kbub's ear without releasing her, "was a terrible mistake."
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 3:20:42 PM
"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh," the sound dragged on as it caught in bsh1's throat. He forced his eyelids open. It didn't make an iota of difference. He still couldn't see anything. "Whereami?" His tongue felt as heavy as the Palace, and his words slurred as though he were drunk. How much time had passed? What was going on?

"Hello?" He called to the darkness. "Is anyone there?"

"bsh1?" The response was immediate.

"OncomingStorm? Isssss zat you?"

"Yeah. What happened?"

"I..." bsh1 thought for a moment. "I don't know. We were in my home, and then, then we were attacked." He was pleased to note that his tongue was slowly coming under his control. "By Thett and someone."

Somewhere off to his right, OncomingStorm sighed. "I wonder where they took us."

bsh1 touched the wall behind him and used the cool stone to stand. His legs wobbled and quivered, but they didn't give out. bsh1 nodded to himself in the darkness. That was something, at least.

Before he could do anything else, there was a clicking sound, and suddenly a rectangular patch of light cut through the room. bsh1 glimpsed the dull gray stone masquerading as a floor before three people entered the cell. As they stood in the light, bsh1 instantly recognized them.

It was Zaradi, Daytona, and Thett.

"Thett," bsh1 croaked, staring sadly at his friend. "Why?" Thett looked down and didn't answer.

"bsh1, OncomingStorm," Zaradi began, "both of you have been arrested for crimes against the Republic of DDO."

"Republic?" OncomingStorm spat. "DDO is a Kingdom. President Mikal is in charge. You are the traitors."

"Funny," Zaradi said, "that Mikal calls himself President. I didn't vote for him. Did you, Daytona?"

"Never," Daytona affirmed.

"Thett?" Zaradi turned. "Thett?"

"No," Thett said softly. "I'm going to...excuse me." He hurried from the cell. Zaradi watched him go before turning back to bsh1 and OncomingStorm.

"You'll have to forgive him. He's upset after your beloved Kingdom assassinated Crypto."

"Liar!" OncomingStorm shouted. "Mikal would never do such a thing!"

"And Airmax?" Zaradi raised an eyebrow. "Ore_Ele?"

"Neither would they," OncomingStorm countered. "They're our leaders. They're as loyal to us as we are to them."

Zaradi clucked softly. "They've really done a number on you, haven't they?"

"I'll say," Daytona agreed. "Blind loyalty. Nothing more dangerous."

"I couldn't agree more," Zaradi nodded. "Let's discuss your Presidency, Daytona." A wide grin split Daytona's face, and he exited the cell. Zaradi turned back to bsh1 and OncomingStorm. "You will be tried for your treason. You will be found guilty. And liberty will reign again."

And with that, he left, locking the door behind him and plunging bsh1 and OncomingStorm back into the darkness.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 3:32:24 PM
At 6/22/2014 3:29:10 PM, YYW wrote:
Excellent! Although I didn't realize that kbub was a she...

Thanks!
On the cite, he's not, but he's always been a she in the story, mostly because I needed more female characters.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 3:33:13 PM
At 6/22/2014 3:32:24 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 6/22/2014 3:29:10 PM, YYW wrote:
Excellent! Although I didn't realize that kbub was a she...

Thanks!
On the cite, he's not, but he's always been a she in the story, mostly because I needed more female characters.

haha ok ;)
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 3:45:03 PM
That was excellent. Very sexy portrayal of YYW--I approve.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 3:49:40 PM
This is the same one from where I signed up to be in the story, right? If not I guess I'm confused. But interesting story.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 3:52:49 PM
At 6/22/2014 3:49:40 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
This is the same one from where I signed up to be in the story, right? If not I guess I'm confused. But interesting story.

It is. You're signed up, along with everyone else, to be in season 2. We're still on season 1.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 4:10:08 PM
At 6/22/2014 3:52:49 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 6/22/2014 3:49:40 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

It is. You're signed up, along with everyone else, to be in season 2. We're still on season 1.

Ohhhhhhh okay, yeah, lol idk how these go so I just wanted to ask to be sure haha but thanks for the clarity :)
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 4:24:35 PM
It was perfect. :)

HELL YEAH!!! Endark, I could marry you right now to tell you how much I loved this episode!!! (Although bsh... ;( ...)

I killed someone!!! Woohoo!!!

Also, >.> Kbub... oh dear...

Daytona is gonna run!!! :D
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 6:34:02 PM
At 6/22/2014 4:24:35 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

<3

HELL YEAH!!! Endark, I could marry you right now to tell you how much I loved this episode!!! (Although bsh... ;( ...)

You liked killing Jif? Interesting...

What will happen?

Run, run, as fast as he can.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 6:36:39 PM
At 6/22/2014 6:34:02 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

<3

<3 you too!

XD I like Jif but... geez... smh...

What will happen?

No idea.

Possibilities:
- One of them dies
- Kbub gets taken hostage and "mindcontrolled"
- You better not make this an affair or I will make you screw RM.

Oh my God!!! YOU GOT THE PUN?! :D I wondered if anyone would notice!!!
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 6:41:47 PM
At 6/22/2014 6:36:39 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

<3

<3 you too!

Well, it made you want to marry me out of love for the episode...I think I'll sig that.

What will happen?

No idea.

Possibilities:
- One of them dies

Lol, the ultimate threat. But Ramblings has to continue first!

Indeed :D
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 6:44:06 PM
At 6/22/2014 6:41:47 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 6/22/2014 6:36:39 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

<3

<3 you too!

Well, it made you want to marry me out of love for the episode...I think I'll sig that.

If you are going to, I think I'd choose you to marry out of all the DDO members. XD
We have similar ideas. :P

What will happen?

No idea.

Possibilities:
- One of them dies

Lol, the ultimate threat. But Ramblings has to continue first!

I know. I know... I have my plans but I'm being held back.. I have to write something for thett and I have four interviews I was supposed to edit TWO WEEKS AGO...
XD

Indeed :D

*: . . . ;)
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2014 10:14:49 PM
Done catching up, looking forward to next episode :)
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...