Jump to topic:

Game of Thrones is a big deal

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2014 2:30:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
So, Obama had recently had a photoshopped White House picture of himself sitting on the Iron Throne. Funny, whimsical, disturbing,whatever you want to describe, but not exactly lending to gravitas.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com...

Now, the Queen of England has recently visited the set of the Game of Thrones in a regal capacity. IMHO this essentially gives the royal seal of approval to the cultural primacy, significance, and importance to this show.

https://www.youtube.com...

Discuss.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2014 7:37:03 AM
Two questions. What is up with your fangasm for Game of Thrones? Second, why the fvck did the queen go to the studios, if shes not going to sit in the damn throne?
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2014 9:18:47 AM
At 7/4/2014 7:37:03 AM, ChosenWolff wrote:
Two questions. What is up with your fangasm for Game of Thrones?

Perhaps you can be more specific on what you find problematic.

Second, why the fvck did the queen go to the studios, if shes not going to sit in the damn throne?

Why would the Queen of England care about sitting on a fictional throne?
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2014 9:38:35 AM
At 7/4/2014 9:18:47 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

IDK, you seem to make a lot of GOT related topics and debates

Second, why the fvck did the queen go to the studios, if shes not going to sit in the damn throne?

It makes one hell of a meme
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2014 9:39:44 AM
At 7/4/2014 9:38:35 AM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 7/4/2014 9:18:47 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

IDK, you seem to make a lot of GOT related topics and debates

Why is this problematic?

It makes one hell of a meme

Why would the Queen of England want to create an internet meme? Does that add dignity to her office?
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2014 10:05:20 AM
At 7/4/2014 2:30:47 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
So, Obama had recently had a photoshopped White House picture of himself sitting on the Iron Throne. Funny, whimsical, disturbing,whatever you want to describe, but not exactly lending to gravitas.

Now, the Queen of England has recently visited the set of the Game of Thrones in a regal capacity. IMHO this essentially gives the royal seal of approval to the cultural primacy, significance, and importance to this show.

Discuss.

They are just selling into their baseman. Its all entertainment and memes now days that get people elected or keep people popular as most people can't read. Or have the attention span of a 2 year old.

Game of thrones is hip, and Obama cooking Meth (Breaking Bad reference) gives the wrong impression.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2014 10:07:42 AM
At 7/4/2014 10:05:20 AM, iamanatheistandthisiswhy wrote:

Discuss.

They are just selling into their baseman. Its all entertainment and memes now days that get people elected or keep people popular as most people can't read. Or have the attention span of a 2 year old.

Game of thrones is hip, and Obama cooking Meth (Breaking Bad reference) gives the wrong impression.

While I agree with your analysis on what was probably the PR calculus on Obama's tweet, I do not see your arguments as being valid for Queen Elizabeth's visit.

Do you have any comments pertaining to her visit?
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2014 10:23:56 AM
At 7/4/2014 10:07:42 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

Discuss.

While I agree with your analysis on what was probably the PR calculus on Obama's tweet, I do not see your arguments as being valid for Queen Elizabeth's visit.

The Queen is all about Britain, so probably just doing her bit for the entertainment industry (as well as appealing to the citizens that keep paying her to be around). I think its for the Producers more publicity than they will ever get any other way in Britain. So they must be well happy.
IFLYHIGH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2014 5:40:54 PM
At 7/4/2014 5:26:35 PM, Intrepidity wrote:
*Potential and vague spoiler alert*

What's the Mountain's favorite exercise?

Skull crushers.

Hah, good one!
Intrepidity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2014 5:42:32 PM
At 7/4/2014 5:40:54 PM, IFLYHIGH wrote:

Skull crushers.

Hah, good one!

That was a shocking episode. I'm not easily struck by television, but I spent a good five minutes just thinking about what the hell happened.
IFLYHIGH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2014 5:51:53 PM
At 7/4/2014 5:42:32 PM, Intrepidity wrote:

Skull crushers.

Hah, good one!

That was a shocking episode. I'm not easily struck by television, but I spent a good five minutes just thinking about what the hell happened.

Really? Game of thrones has a long history of being unpredictable, so I wasn't too surprised.
Intrepidity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2014 8:21:35 PM
At 7/4/2014 5:51:53 PM, IFLYHIGH wrote:

Skull crushers.

Hah, good one!

Really? Game of thrones has a long history of being unpredictable, so I wasn't too surprised.

It probably helped that I had marathoned the entire series up to that episode.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2014 11:54:09 PM
At 7/4/2014 8:21:35 PM, Intrepidity wrote:
At 7/4/2014 5:51:53 PM, IFLYHIGH wrote:

Skull crushers.

Hah, good one!

It probably helped that I had marathoned the entire series up to that episode.

I've caught up with the analysis on the books, and I wasn't surprised by it...just appalled that they actually showed it.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2014 11:54:37 PM
At 7/4/2014 10:23:56 AM, iamanatheistandthisiswhy wrote:
At 7/4/2014 10:07:42 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

Discuss.

The Queen is all about Britain, so probably just doing her bit for the entertainment industry (as well as appealing to the citizens that keep paying her to be around). I think its for the Producers more publicity than they will ever get any other way in Britain. So they must be well happy.

Agree.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 8:58:11 AM

Skull crushers.

Hah, good one!

That's GRRM's art: he builds you up before tearing you right the f*ck down. That episode was the second Red Wedding, where you had Robb Stark going through victory after victory and spouting the same old righteous spiel, and right at the high point, a wedding, pretty much the universally recognised high point of control, BOOM. And then he gave us Oberyn's supreme awesomeness to cling to again, and again, and again.....dude was just so badass: BOOM. GRRM is tearing down all the delusions. Check out the Shire: https://www.youtube.com...
Dennybug
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 12:54:28 AM

Discuss.

here in thailand if you wore one of the "**** the king T-shirts" you would be immediately arrested and possibly sentenced to several years in prison, regardless if it was relevant to Thailand or not.

The whitehouse post does seem very inappropriate given the circumstance of Westeros politics and the nature of rulers in Westeros.