Fan Fic: Ch. 1

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 8:57:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
INTRO

This is my effort at a fan fiction. I found that it was rather constraining to attempt to model if after an existing book or premise, so in the strictest sense it is more of a short story than a fan fiction, but whatever. It actually took me quite a bit of thought to come up with an idea for the story, so I hope it's at least unique t DDO, if not interesting.

This will be the first Chapter of a 10 part story, and I hope it isn't awful. My writing style is certainly different, more plodding, more introspective, serious, and description-based than other styles...I'm not exactly a fan, but I've grown used to how I tend to write when I do so creatively.

Please do not comment until all posts for this Chapter are finished. I will make a post saying "Conclusion of Ch. 1" to signify that I'm done posting. Again, I hope it's not too bad a contribution to the already amazing works we've seen on the site.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 9:08:42 PM
CHAPTER 1, PART 1

This was the best type of morning.

I woke up with my head on YYW"s chest. I could tell, even with my eyelids closed that sunlight was trickling in through the shades, painting the room with the hues of early morning. I didn"t move for some time, content with listening as the sound of his soft, steady breathing fill the room with its gentle murmur. It was with reluctance that I finally arose, unwilling to let this moment slip past, but realizing the futility of my attempts to freeze time.

That was the agonizing part of these far-too-infrequent meetings. I would get high on his touch, his smile, his voice. I would drink in every ounce of sensation, from the musky, spicy scent that would cascade over me when we kissed to his teasing grin that never failed to send shivers down my spine. And then, when morning came, I would be forced to unwrap his arms from around me as he slept, walk downstairs and prepare for work, knowing it might be weeks before we met again. To say they were the best and worst of times might be cliched, but the bittersweet tang of these moments was never lost on me.

This morning was no different, no less bittersweet. On my way out the door, I left a note on the counter: "Brewed coffee. Missing you already." Hardly Romeo and Juliet material, but what I wanted to say could not be expressed in the confined space of a post-it-note, let alone with all the words available to me. As was the case with such ineffable sentiments, it had to be shared, not imparted.

Stepping outside into the serenity of early morning did me no good either. Nature"s beauty, the flaming clouds that ringed the rising sun, the softness of the dew-covered landscape, the peacefulness of a world still half in slumber all seemed to mock me as I walked to my car. In fact, I felt a certain sadistic pleasure turning on my gas-guzzling, noxious fume-spewing vehicle and driving it into work. Nature would have its comeuppance in the end.

The roads were abandoned--only a select few could break curfew in a post-war society that was still very much reeling from its recent calamity. The harshest penalties could befall anyone fool enough to be off their property before 9:00 in the morning, or after 11:00 at night. It was nice in a way; the hustle and bustle of the world in which I grew up was lost, giving greater opportunity for everyone to reflect, to avoid the distractions of a life over-packed with stuff, of a life consumed by outside obligations from work, to school, to social events.

My mind mused over and sifted through these and other stray digressions as I made my way to work. I was always on time; it was just who I was expected to be. I passed through layers upon layers of security before I finally was able to park, and make it too my office. The few people who were about gave perfunctory nods, still shrugging off the oppression of sleep.

My office was nondescript, though not by choice. A highly functional space, it was filled with the industrial grays and dull blues a robot might select, should a robot ever be asked to furnish a room. Sometimes, one was forced to sympathize with nature--however sardonically mocking it might be. At least it was festooned with color, much unlike this space. A glass desk, steel shelves, and blue chairs--the place was functional. No knick-knacks, no clutter. To cite one of the President"s favorite aphorisms, "cleanliness and orderliness do productiveness beget." Or perhaps this one might be better: "The Individual engages in covetry, the Neighbor, in hard work." And that was the President"s appeal. After 13 grueling years of warfare, the idea of a society of neighbors, pulling together for the good of the whole, especially a whole so damaged and riven apart by death and chaos, was intrinsically appealing.

It is interesting how the simplicity of my office space belies my influence in the "Order of Neighbors," that had been instituted. As Deputy Minister for the Ministry for Population and Census affairs, I am one of the few people with any real influence in government, innocuous though my title seems.

The conflict had been a conflagration of militant groups warring with one another. Over the years, many factions coalesced into two, and those two set about burning what was left of civil society into the dust: the Order of Neighbors, led by now-President Blade, and the Freedom League, led by Imabench. The latter had truly been horrific in its crimes, guilty of a genocide against all those it deemed inferior, against all those who disagreed with the edicts laid forth by its founder, against all who befriended or abetted dissenters. Hundreds of thousands perished. The "cleansing" of the areas controlled by the FL was unparalled in recent history, and the ironic lack of freedom the FL created was the condition under which millions were forced to live.

I myself fled the violence of the FL, where I joined the ON and soon became one of their elite members. What was a righteous wartime post soon transformed into a monotonous bureaucratic one after the rout of FL forces in Southeast Asia, leading to a final retreat by their remaining loyalists to their stronghold in Australia, where they still reside. Preferring to consolidate ON power in the conquered regions rather that press on, it had been nearly 4 years since the last battle; yet, restive elements within the cabinet were uniting and attempting to bestir the President to order the final assault that would end the FL for good.

My influence in the regime stemmed from a confluence of factors, primarily that Earth"s population had suffered major losses in the war, a reduction from 8 billion or so people, to 2 billion or so by the year of ON"s near total victory. Other factors were my popularity with an important constituent group of the new administration, as well as my quiet willingness to do whatever was asked of me, sans complaint, sans protest. Certainly, I should be thrilled over the chance of renewed war--the more death, the more my Ministry"s and, by extension, my own prestige would aggrandize. Yet, I felt ambivalent, as empty as the robots who might as well have selected my office"s decor.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 9:11:32 PM
CHAPTER 1, PART 2

The goal of my Ministry was simple: repopulate the Earth. But, everything simple has a caveat. Ensure maximum reproductive capacity, and ensure that the reproduction was of "high quality" offspring. Edict 1717, Office of the President, Blade, Office of the Party Chair, Airmax:

"(1) All citizens are required to marry before the age of 35, and to procreate within 5 years thereafter.
(2) A minimum of three offspring per family is required, and all children must be registered with the Family Commission within 6 months prior to birth.
(3) Any union incapable of procreative activity, as a danger to the common good and replenishment of society, is hereby banned. Anyone who engages in such activity is a criminal of the highest order.
(4) The Family Commission, as an agency of the Ministry for Population and Census Affair, is empowered and required to test the genetic makeup of all registered unborn offspring within 1 month of their registration. Should the Commission find undesirable or diseased traits to be present, or determines that there is a likelihood such traits may present themselves after birth, the Commission is empowered and required to abort the unborn offspring. Anyone attempting to evade registration, testing, or abortive procedures has broken the law.
(5) Noncompliance with or violation of any passage herein constitutes a criminal act. All criminals are subject to a sentence in a penitentiary facility not to exceed 2 years. All high criminals are subject to the penalty of death, without the possibility of appeal."

It was strenuously argued and propagandized that 1717 was the best chance for humanity--that the survival and strength of the species rested on this decree. A population frightened by the possibility of another devastating war was not affronted by these arguments. In fact, they were embraced. The world could not sustain to lose another 3/4ths of its inhabitants, as it had barely survived the first. This was one of the three plinths on which this new regime was grounded: Revision, Regrowth, and Reunification. To revise human culture into one that emphasized the common good, to regrow and replace what was lost (from infrastructure to population), and to reunify the world under one, supreme governing authority.

The irony of the situation--as well as its peril--were not lost on me as I sat at my office, contemplating stacks of manila folders. Every meeting with YYW had been clandestine; every time we met at work, we had to check our behavior. Nothing could be given away. It had been 38 days since we had last been together, and to spend one glorious and romantic, albeit furtive, weekend together was wholly insufficient comfort for the weeks spent in angst over our forced distance. Making matters worse was the pressure placed on all cabinet and party officials to marry soon, to be exemplars of the new procreative lifestyle model.

My office door read as follows: "Bsh1 " Deputy Minister: MPCA." It might as well have read "Bsh1 " Prisoner, Robot, Hypocrite."

My morose internal tangents aside, today was one of the few days I would have the chance to escape the confines of my humdrum office, and to venture into the world of the common man, whose interests I was purportedly caretaking. After the morning cabinet meeting, which the Secretary himself never bothered to attend, I would be transported out into the city, surrounded, no doubt, by something resembling a swarm of tanks, to the Family Commission"s D.C. Field Office.

In part, this rather straightforward and hopefully short day at work was brilliantly orchestrated by me. I had carefully restructured my schedule over the last 10 days to fix it such that it would enable me to get back home a few hours early this afternoon. YYW didn"t have to leave the capital until evening, and I was cautiously optimistic about making it back in time to say goodbye in the fullest manner possible.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 9:14:01 PM
CONCLUSION OF CH. 1

Also, a few disclaimers and notices: (1) my portrayal of any character in this or future installments does not necessarily reflect my real views about said chacacter/person/user, and (2) if anyone would like to be included, they can PM me with the full knowledge that they may not be portrayed as they request.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 10:08:25 PM
That was magnificent. The post-apoc. setting was an interesting choice, too. I can't wait to see how we develop within the story! :)

<3
Tsar of DDO
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 10:35:15 PM
At 7/15/2014 9:14:01 PM, bsh1 wrote:
CONCLUSION OF CH. 1

Also, a few disclaimers and notices: (1) my portrayal of any character in this or future installments does not necessarily reflect my real views about said chacacter/person/user, and (2) if anyone would like to be included, they can PM me with the full knowledge that they may not be portrayed as they request.

Oh... So that's how you view Max/Blade...

JK. Lol.

---

Excellent job BSH. I predict a future Fanfic competition winner.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 10:41:19 PM
At 7/15/2014 10:35:15 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Like that is happening again...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2014 1:37:20 AM
At 7/15/2014 10:08:25 PM, YYW wrote:
That was magnificent.

Thanks <3

The post-apoc. setting was an interesting choice, too.

It felt essential to the premise.

I can't wait to see how we develop within the story! :)

<3

I'll be close-lipped on that for now.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2014 11:17:33 AM
At 7/15/2014 10:41:19 PM, bsh1 wrote:

B-B-But... 0.0 what d'ya mean?! :<
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2014 4:45:28 PM
At 7/16/2014 11:17:33 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

(1) No one's writing Fan Fics anymore
(2) After that last one, I'm disinclined to host another
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2014 5:14:54 PM
At 7/16/2014 4:45:28 PM, bsh1 wrote:

-Endark
-Zaradi
-Linkish
-Seventh
-Me (although I have a case of writers' block right now...)

Understood. XD
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2014 7:15:08 PM
At 7/16/2014 5:14:54 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

-Endark
-Zaradi
-Linkish
-Seventh

When was the last time anyone posted an episode?

Understood. XD
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2014 8:27:28 PM
At 7/16/2014 7:15:08 PM, bsh1 wrote:

-Endark
-Zaradi
-Linkish
-Seventh

In about 2 days, hopefully.
Also, wonderful story! Mostly set-up and exposition here, but I can't wait to see where it goes!

Understood. XD
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2014 8:33:31 PM
At 7/16/2014 8:27:28 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

-Endark
-Zaradi
-Linkish
-Seventh

Yay!

Also, wonderful story! Mostly set-up and exposition here, but I can't wait to see where it goes!

Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2014 8:51:16 PM

-Endark
Last week?
-Zaradi
The other day
-Linkish
Discontinued... my bad...
-Seventh
Working on it rn.
Point made. I have like half of an episode typed out but I'm not sure if I want it to go down that way...

Understood. XD
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 6:38:05 PM
At 7/17/2014 4:58:06 PM, 9spaceking wrote:
Good job bush. Keep on making these stories.

bush?
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 9:38:08 PM
At 7/16/2014 8:33:31 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 7/16/2014 8:27:28 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

-Endark
-Zaradi
-Linkish
-Seventh

Yay!

And it's out now. Your turn.