Fan Fic Ch. 2

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 9:36:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
CHAPTER 2

I ran my fingers over the polished table. Dark wood, inlaid with gold filigree, it was massive, sturdy, and commanded attention. I wandered into this room once every other day for the briefings, and spent most of that time with my eyes turned down, tracing the patterns of deep chocolate knots that wended their way across the table"s surface. It was soothing in a mesmeric sort of way"it made you forget about whatever you were thinking, and all you could ever seem to remember was the wood and the solid strength it seemed to represent.

With my eyes seemingly affixed to the table, I rarely noticed the rest of the room. I recall that it had pale salmon walls, with white molding and gold objects scattered throughout. It was the archetype of a stately house. It did not scream wealth as it might have done had the walls been covered in gold themselves, but it subtly projected a feeling of affluence and power that was inescapable, even to those of us who took little time to notice it.

I heard people filling the room--their voices melding to form a white noise which amplified the hypnotic effect of the wood. So absorbed was I in my own thoughts that I barely noticed when the room fell quiet, as files were handed to each of us sitting at the table. The files weren't so much briefs as dossiers, and not so much dossiers as hit lists.

Blade had finally given the order to mobilize the army, and Minister of War Lannan reported that the initial mobilization could be kept a secret, and that army would be ready to strike key targets within the month. By the time Jakarta was aware of the pending danger, they would have less than 5 days to prepare. An optimistic estimate perhaps, but it was undoubtable that by the time the ON had mobilized its entire force, its numbers would overwhelm whatever defenses the FL could erect.

From our basis in Rangoon, Hanoi, and Kuala Lumpur, attacks would be launched, and Singapore, Taipei, Ho Chi Minh City, and Manilla would quickly be obliterated. They would be the first victims of the war, and would provide the ON unquestionable dominance in the South China Sea. Indonesia would fall in the second phase of the assault, and in the third phase, Australia and New Zealand would finally be taken.

It was a grim prospect. The Australia"s nuclear arsenal would not go unused as the FL, in its death throes, gasped for life. Even more likely was that Lannan simply ordered a nuclear bombardment of key facilities in FL controlled areas simply to avoid having to actually fight for them himself.

2 billion people"that was all that was left to the world. Of the 300 million living in FL territory, I could not reasonably imagine more than a third of them surviving this with their lives intact. Virtually none would escape with their property or livelihoods. All the more reason to produce maximally, in both quality and quantity. All the more important that I ensure my Ministry runs with robotic efficiency, all the more scrutiny that will befall me as my job grows in importance, all the more dangerous my liaisons will become.

Inside each of the dossiers we received were profiles of the major rebel leaders: Daytona, Bench, and Zarroette. It was well known that Chosen had been assassinated at an encampment somewhere in the Laotian jungle"one less dissident leader to concern ourselves with. But these three remaining leaders were hardly cohesive. Daytona and Bench lead the largest group within the FL coalition"a union of those committed to the genocide of those who they deemed unworthy to populate the Earth. To them, a Nietzschean Ubermensch should be pursued as the end of any rational society, and that meant the obliteration of those too weak or unintelligent to fit into their world order. As for Zarroette, her smaller but not insignificant supporters believed that the end of the human race was desirable, if not morally obligatory, and that the ON"s focus on reproduction and repopulation must be halted at any cost. Their uneasy alliance was something we hoped to exploit. No one went into details in front of me, but I could imagine that it wouldn"t be to do so.

When the cabinet meeting concluded, I was able to go out into the city as I had hoped in order to tour the FC Field Office. It was a quiet building. Not unlike a hospital. Clean walls, linoleum floors, a few hushed staff in medical scrubs walking purposefully throughout the corridors. The only sound besides the quite whirring of medical equipment was a gentle sobbing coming from a waiting room down the hall. I turned inquisitively to the Superintendent, who guessed my query before it had even left my lips.

He explained to me that an expectant mother had come in for the testing process, and that the facilities" geneticists had determined that her child--a boy (she had already pick out the name Raleigh)--would be under the 5"5" height limit requirement. She had been told her first child would never be allowed to be born. As Blade always said, "It is not enough to enlarge the human race, we must make it stronger." Not too much difference between that and the idea of a society of Ubermensch, though at least the ON did not butcher the already living.

I cut the tour short. I couldn"t stand it.

I returned home, midday. My house was white, plain, mechanic. I walked in the door, dropping my briefcase on the couch. YYW had already departed; he left a note on the table. Business had called him away early. We would not be getting that last evening after all.

I woke up the next day, and was called in for an emergency cabinet meeting. I looked into the table as I always did, and this time, its entrancing patterns did not ease my mind, erase my thoughts. The hum of the voices did not wash over me as it usually did, and I wanted nothing more than to leave the salmon-colored room for the mocking embrace of nature.

The ON held little comfort for me anymore.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1: http://www.debate.org...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 10:15:20 PM
More setup, I see. And the pieces are all moving into position. It's interesting how the rebel leader's beliefs match up so well. :-)

Another excellent buildup chapter. Exposition matters.
Krieg01
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 8:28:38 PM
This story is amazing I can't wait to read the rest!
How come when I hit review it sometimes adds my post without me clicking add post?
Does this happen to other people?

#LEARN TO SPEAK UP
#Cause I can
Learn to use emoticons DDO.
moneyspills
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 2:54:47 PM
More setup, I see. And the pieces are all moving into position. It's interesting how the rebel leader's beliefs match up so well. :-)

Another excellent buildup chapter. Exposition matters.

https://www.youtube.com...