Jump to topic:

Do syllables matter in rap?

Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 12:15:17 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm hearing from both sides that syllables do matter and you should make a rap, you should have 12-16 syllables, but on the other hand, syllables don't matter because the best rappers focus on flow. Thoughts?
Siege
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 4:30:59 PM
At 8/4/2014 12:15:17 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:
I'm hearing from both sides that syllables do matter and you should make a rap, you should have 12-16 syllables, but on the other hand, syllables don't matter because the best rappers focus on flow. Thoughts?

Yes and no.

Most rappers like you said focus on flow. However, if you were to pick a random rap song and starting counting the syllables, you'd likely find that most line have the same number of syllables. In my experience, it's usually between 10-12 syllables per line.

So I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. If you focus on flow, you will naturally also be keeping to a certain syllable count, though likely unconsciously. And of course the count can change depending on the tempo of the beat.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 4:46:25 PM
At 8/6/2014 4:30:59 PM, Siege wrote:

Yes and no.

Most rappers like you said focus on flow. However, if you were to pick a random rap song and starting counting the syllables, you'd likely find that most line have the same number of syllables. In my experience, it's usually between 10-12 syllables per line.

So I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. If you focus on flow, you will naturally also be keeping to a certain syllable count, though likely unconsciously. And of course the count can change depending on the tempo of the beat.

Yea, i studied several rapper flows and i noticed there was a consistent number of syllables. In actual songs, i count mine.
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 9:33:18 PM
syllables are important, but I usually just read it for the sake of getting the rhythm right. If it sounds good then it's good.

A lot of syllables as a test to see what happens when you put too many syllables here
It'll get you leered
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 9:56:28 PM
I'm more strict about syllables when it's just text.

I can take more liberties with the length of lines when there is audio because I can say the words precisely how I want them to sound and not depend on other people to get it just by reading it.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
moneyspills
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2014 1:34:38 PM
syllables are important, but I usually just read it for the sake of getting the rhythm right. If it sounds good then it's good.

https://www.youtube.com...
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 7:24:01 PM
At 8/9/2014 9:33:18 PM, 9spaceking wrote:

A lot of syllables as a test to see what happens when you put too many syllables here
It'll get you leered

I do too
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 10:03:31 AM

I'd say they matter in the sense that if you have an awkward number of syllables in a line, it's harder to integrate the lyrics into the beat. But I mean, there have been songs that like Wayne will rap slow (like 6-8 syllables) that plenty of people like, and then there's like busta rhymes who will spit like 20 syllables in one line and sound awesome. Just depends on the beat and lyrics really.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

dragonscxt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 9:07:22 AM

It all depends on what type of raper you are. Different rapers do it differently.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 9:39:02 AM
At 9/12/2014 1:34:38 PM, moneyspills wrote:

https://www.youtube.com...

Yea, but if you plan on vocalizing it, you might get tired soon if your syllables aren't at the right length.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2014 9:40:59 AM
At 10/13/2014 10:03:31 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:

I'd say they matter in the sense that if you have an awkward number of syllables in a line, it's harder to integrate the lyrics into the beat. But I mean, there have been songs that like Wayne will rap slow (like 6-8 syllables) that plenty of people like, and then there's like busta rhymes who will spit like 20 syllables in one line and sound awesome. Just depends on the beat and lyrics really.

Very true and great post. I feel people on DDO need to structure their bars well. Lines should be the same length, you shouldn't have one bar longer than the other. You can't have them too long or too short.