Jump to topic:

Alice In Wonderland

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 10:28:20 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I've been waiting for this movie for months: what a disappointment... to say the least! I love the book, I love Johnny Depp and I love Tim Burton so I thought it would be fantastic. I saw it in IMAX 3D and it definitely wasn't worth it. While the story stayed more on par with the book than the Disney cartoon version, the dialog absolutely sucked. Aside from the, "Why is a raven like a writing desk" question, the script included none of the witticisms from the book which is exactly what makes it so great! It wasn't funny or amusing without the typical Alice absurdities (example: If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?). Not to mention that it wasn't Johnny Depp's best work. He did better as Capt. Jack Sparrow and his version of the Mad Hatter was interesting yet I think someone else could have done just as good of a job which is usually not the vibe you get from one of his eccentric characters. I've also seen some of the most boring direction I've ever witnessed from Tim Burton. The French chick who played Alice was pleasant enough but she wasn't pretty so there wasn't even THAT lol. Verdict - Don't waste your money! Wait til it comes out on HBO or something.
President of DDO
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 9:13:16 PM
At 3/8/2010 10:28:20 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I've been waiting for this movie for months: what a disappointment... to say the least! I love the book, I love Johnny Depp and I love Tim Burton so I thought it would be fantastic. I saw it in IMAX 3D and it definitely wasn't worth it. While the story stayed more on par with the book than the Disney cartoon version, the dialog absolutely sucked. Aside from the, "Why is a raven like a writing desk" question, the script included none of the witticisms from the book which is exactly what makes it so great! It wasn't funny or amusing without the typical Alice absurdities (example: If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?). Not to mention that it wasn't Johnny Depp's best work. He did better as Capt. Jack Sparrow and his version of the Mad Hatter was interesting yet I think someone else could have done just as good of a job which is usually not the vibe you get from one of his eccentric characters. I've also seen some of the most boring direction I've ever witnessed from Tim Burton. The French chick who played Alice was pleasant enough but she wasn't pretty so there wasn't even THAT lol. Verdict - Don't waste your money! Wait til it comes out on HBO or something.

I think it was because the book would be too complicated for kids to understand and this was intended for children. Even though I found this movie not for children at all. During the end of the movie i thought the French girl who played alice was pretty cute after you take out the make up that made her so pale in the beginning.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 10:18:29 PM
At 3/8/2010 9:13:16 PM, Loserboi wrote:

I think it was because the book would be too complicated for kids to understand and this was intended for children. Even though I found this movie not for children at all. During the end of the movie i thought the French girl who played alice was pretty cute after you take out the make up that made her so pale in the beginning.

Yes, but long chains of longs word make kids laugh sometimes. + The witty parts of Kids Movies are what makes "Older" people stand them, without them It's like watching Pokemon the movie.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Sylux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2010 8:52:14 AM
I say go see it. It's a good movie for a family night out.
"Can you see? Do you know?
The string behind you, it's shiny and pretty.
Where is my string.
Give me because I don't know.
Give me your string.
Give me everything."
-grasshoppa
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2010 10:18:12 PM

Yes, but long chains of longs word make kids laugh sometimes. + The witty parts of Kids Movies are what makes "Older" people stand them, without them It's like watching Pokemon the movie.

And Pokemon the movie was a very popular kids movie that children of that time loved to watch. It's to appeal to the children not the adults. It makes them laugh sometimes but most of the time probably confuses them. Kids would be happy with just the animals talking, even if adults can't stand it they will buy tickets just for their children regardless.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2010 11:22:19 PM
At 3/10/2010 11:21:54 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Wow, how weird. I just saw it in IMAX today. I liked it.

But I'm very easily entertained.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 11:44:18 AM
Yea... it was okay, not great. I am not familiar with the book and previous versions of it are a bit vague to me... but it did not do much for me.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 11:58:47 AM
At 3/10/2010 11:21:54 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Wow, how weird. I just saw it in IMAX today. I liked it.

What did you like about it?

Again, what makes Alice in Wonderland so cool (funny, entertaining and clever) is the witty dialog and banter between characters. The movie lacked that big time. None of the best lines and phrases were included in the script! Now, some of you have said that it was supposed to be a KIDS MOVIE and that's why this happened. However, the content of this movie (the love aspects) and the gore with at least 3 characters having their eyes gouged out prove that it wasn't supposed to be a KIDS movie. Many of Tim Burton's movies appeal to kids because of the fantasy aspect, but the content is mature. Alice is likened to tripping on mushrooms for goodness sakes and the content is supposed to be paradoxical and in that sense somewhat philosophical. The Disney version, admittedly, was more for children and didn't include any aspects of romance or violence. Instead it focused on the fantasy and character interaction of it... but even that included the funny dialog (that I found funny as a kid). I still think this movie was a huge disappointment and in no way is worth the money unless you're easily entertained like Freedo or like bad kids movies that few adults can appreciate (unlike Shrek which everyone finds hilarious, for instance).
President of DDO
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 1:54:48 PM
The movie is supposed to be a sequel to Alice in Wonderland. That might be why none of your favorite quotes, &ct. were included.

I haven't seen it yet. I probably will at some point in the near future, though.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 3:36:24 PM

Dang. So it's not a good date movie?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 7:49:36 AM

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland is actually one of my favorite movies (granted I am an all around Tim Burton fan). I think part of the reason why you were disappointed with it was due to the fact that you wanted the movie to be alike the book. Thing is the movie was never made to be similar to the book, that was what the original Alice in Wonderland was for. This was a sequel to the first movie. I personally loved it.