Jump to topic:

The Flash

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have seen the new Flash show. Maybe it's because the comics of late have managed to lower my expectations, or maybe it's because they showed enough class to invite John Wesley Shipp on as a recurring role, but I did not hate it. And that surprises me.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 10:11:06 PM
At 8/28/2014 10:05:29 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
I have seen the new Flash show. Maybe it's because the comics of late have managed to lower my expectations, or maybe it's because they showed enough class to invite John Wesley Shipp on as a recurring role, but I did not hate it. And that surprises me.

Do you usually hate comic book movies?
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 10:17:44 PM
At 8/28/2014 10:11:06 PM, YYW wrote:

I don't know about "usually", but certainly "often". I can go on hour long rants about X-men, and I'm not even a big X-men fan--I just get upset when there's a lack of respect for the source. And the Flash is my absolute favorite super hero, which means I'm going to be particularly picky. There's a TV show from the 90s that was shockingly good, given the SFX of the time and given that it was before what I think we can all probably agree is a new golden age of TV (reality shows notwithstanding).

I did not like a lot of aspects of it that were presented in press info; I've been putting off watching the pilot for like...a month? Maybe more? Specifically because I assumed it would make me angry. I knew I'd watch it anyway, because I will watch all of the Flash things. But I dragged my feet.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 10:21:22 PM
At 8/28/2014 10:17:44 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I don't know about "usually", but certainly "often". I can go on hour long rants about X-men, and I'm not even a big X-men fan--I just get upset when there's a lack of respect for the source. And the Flash is my absolute favorite super hero, which means I'm going to be particularly picky. There's a TV show from the 90s that was shockingly good, given the SFX of the time and given that it was before what I think we can all probably agree is a new golden age of TV (reality shows notwithstanding).

I totally understand being picky, and the reasons for it. Sound effects are nice, but it's plot that drives any good show or film -with one exception. I'll just say that I don't like X-Men. I'd rather watch The Incredibles than X-Men. That said, I love the latest Batman movies, Watchmen is one of my all time favorites (if not my all time favorite ever) and the latest Captain America was pretty good, as well. Spider Man is too much of a whiny little bitch to get any respect from me, though... and the last Super Man movie was more like Super Manchild.

I did not like a lot of aspects of it that were presented in press info; I've been putting off watching the pilot for like...a month? Maybe more? Specifically because I assumed it would make me angry. I knew I'd watch it anyway, because I will watch all of the Flash things. But I dragged my feet.

Well, are you glad it's over with?
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 10:33:15 PM
At 8/28/2014 10:21:22 PM, YYW wrote:

I totally understand being picky, and the reasons for it. Sound effects are nice, but it's plot that drives any good show or film -with one exception.

What's the exception?

I'll just say that I don't like X-Men. I'd rather watch The Incredibles than X-Men. That said, I love the latest Batman movies, Watchmen is one of my all time favorites (if not my all time favorite ever) and the latest Captain America was pretty good, as well. Spider Man is too much of a whiny little bitch to get any respect from me, though... and the last Super Man movie was more like Super Manchild.

I agree with everything except the Batman thing--and, though it angered me, I have to respect the practical effects and aesthetic of the films. (Incidentally, Mrs. Bladerunner hates Spider-Man. I'm apathetic, but she basically says that exact same thing you said, except with more f-bombs)

I actually liked it at least a little. I can find nitpicky faults all day, but they didn't anger me once. Part of it is how they've changed the comics in the New 52--I've been saying for awhile that, despite the Flash being the first thing ever on my subscription list at the comic shop, and despite me being a huge Flash fan, I'm at least talking about unsubbing from it, it's so bad. So they had a lot of room to f*#$ it up plotwise, if they chose, since my peeve is when they don't respect the source material and at this point the source material isn't respecting the source material. But Geoff Johns was involved, which is legit, and there's a bunch of touches (like how I mentioned John Wesley Shipp playing a character--he plays the Flash's dad. He was the Flash in the TV show from the 90's, so that's a nice touch) that I liked.

The bar for me is "Am I angry coming out of watching it"--because getting pissed off overshadows whatever enjoyment I get from watching explosions and super heroes doin' stuff. In this case: I wasn't angry, even though I thought I would be. I'm pleasantly surprised. As long as they don't Smallville it, I'll be a relatively happy camper.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 10:36:19 PM
At 8/28/2014 10:33:15 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 8/28/2014 10:21:22 PM, YYW wrote:

I totally understand being picky, and the reasons for it. Sound effects are nice, but it's plot that drives any good show or film -with one exception.

What's the exception?

Seinfeld, thought it's not a comic book.

I'll just say that I don't like X-Men. I'd rather watch The Incredibles than X-Men. That said, I love the latest Batman movies, Watchmen is one of my all time favorites (if not my all time favorite ever) and the latest Captain America was pretty good, as well. Spider Man is too much of a whiny little bitch to get any respect from me, though... and the last Super Man movie was more like Super Manchild.

I agree with everything except the Batman thing--and, though it angered me, I have to respect the practical effects and aesthetic of the films. (Incidentally, Mrs. Bladerunner hates Spider-Man. I'm apathetic, but she basically says that exact same thing you said, except with more f-bombs)

haha, I knew you had good taste in women!

I actually liked it at least a little. I can find nitpicky faults all day, but they didn't anger me once.

Good...

Part of it is how they've changed the comics in the New 52--I've been saying for awhile that, despite the Flash being the first thing ever on my subscription list at the comic shop, and despite me being a huge Flash fan, I'm at least talking about unsubbing from it, it's so bad. So they had a lot of room to f*#$ it up plotwise, if they chose, since my peeve is when they don't respect the source material and at this point the source material isn't respecting the source material. But Geoff Johns was involved, which is legit, and there's a bunch of touches (like how I mentioned John Wesley Shipp playing a character--he plays the Flash's dad. He was the Flash in the TV show from the 90's, so that's a nice touch) that I liked.

The bar for me is "Am I angry coming out of watching it"--because getting pissed off overshadows whatever enjoyment I get from watching explosions and super heroes doin' stuff. In this case: I wasn't angry, even though I thought I would be. I'm pleasantly surprised. As long as they don't Smallville it, I'll be a relatively happy camper.

That's a very good standard, actually... and there are a lot of TV shows that I don't watch for that reason, like Suits or Revenge. Incidentally, I do not own a TV... but I avoid them on Netflix, and the like.