Jump to topic:

Beatles vs. Rolling Stones

J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2010 7:58:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Classic debate topic, which do you prefer?

I love both, but I'm definitely a Stones guy. Favorite song from either group is "Satisfaction."

If you don't have any taste in music (ie. if you don't like either) please refrain from posting in this topic and/or go jump off the nearest cliff.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2010 8:10:13 PM
rolling stones is good car music and singing along to.

Beatles is good living room music.

But both are (for the most part) lackluster for listening as an activity in itself.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2010 8:21:49 PM
you're not pretentious at all!

i hardly listen to either. the beatles tend to bore me (although they do have some cleverness) and the rolling stones, while they are livelier..... also tend to bore me. they are good for the occasional rocking out though
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2010 8:22:43 PM
At 3/28/2010 8:10:13 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

But both are (for the most part) lackluster for listening as an activity in itself.

Right on the money.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2010 8:27:12 PM
At 3/28/2010 8:22:43 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Right on the money.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2010 9:00:04 PM
At 3/28/2010 8:49:28 PM, Koopin wrote:
Beatles are twice as better than the rolling stones.

i agree. But is that saying too much?
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2010 9:11:00 PM
At 3/28/2010 9:00:04 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

And just what do you have on your iPod that makes you so goddamn superior to everyone?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2010 9:18:48 PM
At 3/28/2010 9:11:00 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 3/28/2010 9:00:04 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

And just what do you have on your iPod that makes you so goddamn superior to everyone?

lol,

Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Black Sabbath, Cream, Metallica, Pink Floyd, Doors, Mars Volta, Allman Brothers, Sigur Ros, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Simon & Garfunkel, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Derek & The Dominoes, Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan, The Band, Eric Clapton, Bluesbreakers, Blind Faith, The Who, Yardbirds, Beatles, Deep Purple, Joe Satriani, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Wilco, Iron & Wine, Belle & Sebastian, Black Keys, White Stripes, Raconteurs, Flaming Lips, QOTSA, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, My Morning Jacket, Mastodon, Opeth, MGMT, Mogwai, BRMC, Massive Attack, Portishead, The Dead Weather, Beastie Boys, Mountain, Ten Years After, Sun Kil Moon, Black Mountain, Explosions In The Sky, The Roots, Alison Krauss, Wolfmother, Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Rachmaninoff, Dvorak, Stravinsky, Miles Davis, Wynton Marsalis, Johnny Winter, Velvet Underground, Velvet Revolver, Guns & Roses, King Crimson, Traffic, Steve Winwood, Buddy Guy, Humble Pie, Santana, Janis Joplin, Los Lonely Boys, Boston, Elvis Presley, Chicago, Zakk Wylde, Ozzy Osbourne, Tool, Yes, The Rolling Stones, Audioslave, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Temple Of The Dog, Alice In Chains, Them Crooked Vultures, Calexico, Annuals, Grizzly Bear, At The Drive In, Muse, Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Gov't Mule, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, CCR, David Bowie, ELP, Bad Company, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel, Grand Funk Railroad, Steve Miller Band, Jethro Tull, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Queen, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2010 9:22:27 PM
my brother manages the iPOD... I get all the benefit without the trouble :)

my favorite band right now is The Mars Volta.

Metaphysics:
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2010 9:30:50 PM
That's a hella long list, but what I meant was for you to break it down to your favorites...

10 of my favorites, in no particular order (except for the top two)

Rolling Stones
Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Bob Dylan
Stevie Ray Vaughan
The Who
Jimi Hendrix
Coldplay
Ted Nugent
Van Morrison
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2010 9:49:31 PM
At 3/28/2010 9:30:50 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
That's a hella long list, but what I meant was for you to break it down to your favorites...

Zeppelin
Mars Volta
Sabbath
Black keys
Gov't mule
Alice in Chains
CCR
them crooked vultures

pretty much in that order

Metaphysics:
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 4:28:59 PM

Exactly. Neither are at the top of the rock genre, which I assume is the underlying point of this thread--I hardly considered the Beatles rock in the first place.

Zeppelin FTW!!!
When Reach fell, I came.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 5:18:50 PM
At 3/29/2010 4:28:59 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:

Exactly. Neither are at the top of the rock genre, which I assume is the underlying point of this thread--I hardly considered the Beatles rock in the first place.

Zeppelin FTW!!!

Yea. I would choose Led Zeppelin and Bon Jovi over them any day.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 9:44:03 PM
At 3/29/2010 5:18:50 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 3/29/2010 4:28:59 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:

Zeppelin FTW!!!

Yea. I would choose Led Zeppelin and Bon Jovi over them any day.

BON JOVI AH!!!

How could you equate LED ZEPPELIN with BON JOVI 8(

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 10:04:28 PM
At 3/29/2010 5:18:50 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Led Zeppelin

and Bon Jovi

What is it that makes you think these two bands should be mentioned in the same sentence?

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2010 6:35:27 AM
here's bit more zeppelin for you Insert... I know you had to appreciate the difference in the first example, so I think I can leave out the Bon Jovi, right?

Metaphysics:
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2010 6:47:39 AM
i like classic rock as much as the next girl but come onnnnnnnn. lol

they all start to sound the same rather quickly don't you think?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2010 7:01:11 AM
At 3/29/2010 9:44:03 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

BON JOVI AH!!!

How could you equate LED ZEPPELIN with BON JOVI 8(

This is coming from the same person who thinks the Beatles are just "alright" and that THE MARS VOLTA is better... I'd lol, but it's too sad. If you guys like Led Zeppelin better than the Beatles, then that's cool. It's a preference that you like harder rock. However, Led Zeppelin wouldn't have existed without the friggin Beatles. I'd do a Rolling Stones vs. Beatles debate ANY DAY. The Beatles are undoubtedly the most influential band in rock history. I highly doubt that most people here even know more than the 5 catchiest/popular Beatle songs anyway. And don't get me started about the Texans having an opinion... for christsake's their favorite artist is Jimmy Buffett! [vomits in my mouth a little]. Need I say more?
President of DDO
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2010 7:15:07 AM
you can't acknowledge the beatles position in history and at the same time not enjoy listening to them?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2010 7:18:33 AM
At 3/30/2010 7:15:07 AM, belle wrote:
you can't acknowledge the beatles position in history and at the same time not enjoy listening to them?

I enjoy some of their music, Sgt peppers comes to mind...

but too much of it's just poppy and really straightforward.

Metaphysics:
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2010 7:48:09 AM

Did I not say that everyone's entitled to their opinion and may like the harder stuff better?
President of DDO
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2010 7:49:54 AM
At 3/30/2010 7:01:11 AM, theLwerd wrote:
However, Led Zeppelin wouldn't have existed without the friggin Beatles.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2010 7:55:38 AM

Metaphysics:
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2010 7:57:25 AM
At 3/30/2010 7:48:09 AM, theLwerd wrote:

Did I not say that everyone's entitled to their opinion and may like the harder stuff better?

you also said that it makes no sense to like the mars volta and not the beatles :P

hard/soft rock is not the only distinction that would lead people to like one band and not the other.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2010 8:01:48 AM
Boney maronie

Metaphysics:
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2010 8:11:32 AM
At 3/30/2010 7:57:25 AM, belle wrote:
At 3/30/2010 7:48:09 AM, theLwerd wrote:

you also said that it makes no sense to like the mars volta and not the beatles :P

Nope - I said it's non-sensical to laugh at another's taste (ie. comparing Bon Jovi to Led Zeppelin) when another, like me, can completely disagree with YOUR (his) taste of thinking that The Mars Volta is anywhere near as good as The Beatles.

hard/soft rock is not the only distinction that would lead people to like one band and not the other.

Werd. I didn't say that it was, but that's what people were saying (that The Beatles were too soft, poppy, boring, etc.).
President of DDO
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2010 8:14:19 AM
At 3/30/2010 8:11:32 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Nope - I said it's non-sensical to laugh at another's taste (ie. comparing Bon Jovi to Led Zeppelin) when another, like me, can completely disagree with YOUR (his) taste of thinking that The Mars Volta is anywhere near as good as The Beatles.

There is such a thing as good and bad taste.

http://www.mnstate.edu...

Metaphysics: