Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

Good books.

GhostWriter
Posts: 115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2010 9:04:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'd like to know what some of your favorite books are and why?

What about this book makes it so unique to you? I am a very avid reader, and enjoy hearing about good books to go buy.

My book suggestion:
The hunger games

I recently just finished this book and thought it was amazing. While I'm not a huge fan of first person style writings, this book specifically detailed out a picture and my mind, and is easy to read. This book offeres a different perspective at human life and shows how far some will go to survive. It also breaches at the various effects of human rebellion, and pushes the aspect that some people when driven too far will use their natural rebellion to claim their freedom. This is an amazing book that that has elements of characterization that are phenomonal, and shows variations of reality.
This book takes place in an alternate demension, the time period seemingly recent. There is an overly controlling capitol, in which has divided its people into twelve districts, where poverty is harsh and laws are strictly enforced. After a recent rebellion from an old district (13), the capitol has decided to enforce its power over its citizens in a sadistic manner. Each year an event called the hunger games happens. Two people are selected fromeach district (one boy and one girl), to battle it out for survival in a huge outdoor arena. Every person is forced to watch these games, so the capitol can help enforce the fact that rebellion will be no more. Young catniss everdeen, has volunteered into these games to save her sister. She must do whatever it takes to win these games and return happily to her family.

This is a very good read, and I highly suggest you read it.

Now open to your suggestions.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2010 9:10:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The Wheel of Time series, penned under "Robert Jordan".

Magic, monsters, lots of fighting, war, and drama. The writing is exceptional so you get the enjoyment of reading fantasy without wanting to stab your eyes out from the childish, infantile prose you usually get from Tolkien wannabes.

Also, there are no teenage vampires.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2010 9:32:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm just starting and trying to get through the book Demons, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, in between studying and campaigning, but so far it's been a great read, even if I'm only a couple chapters in! I'll come back at some later point in this thread and rave about it, I'm sure. :P

For the meantime, one of my favourite books has been Nostromo by Joseph Conrad, which is the tale of a sailor who takes on the role of essentially "treasure keeper" due to his status as "incorruptible," or at least his image. Set in a fiction but reality-based Latin American republic called Costaguana, which constantly has these revolutions and wars and government turnovers, Nostromo is entrusted with the silver of the mine in Sulaco by Senor Gould, a powerful interest in the country who hates the constant instability. This leads Nostromo to play a central role in the political and social issues which come out of these aspirations, and it really creates a very interesting and complex social fabric which ends up turning a lot of things on its head, including Nostromo.

I can't describe it well, but its a classic (not sure how well known it is, mind you) and I recommend everyone reads it if they get a chance.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2010 10:23:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Atonement, by Ian McEwan

Historical fiction. Psychological realism. Studies guilt. In many ways, like a modern version of The Scarlett Letter. Awesome prose. Very modern, I'd say. One of the very few books to have made me shed manly tears.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2010 10:34:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/24/2010 9:10:14 PM, Kleptin wrote:
The Wheel of Time series, penned under "Robert Jordan".

Magic, monsters, lots of fighting, war, and drama. The writing is exceptional so you get the enjoyment of reading fantasy without wanting to stab your eyes out from the childish, infantile prose you usually get from Tolkien wannabes.

Also, there are no teenage vampires.
I dunno, is the gholam a teenager?

I mean, I know it's not technically considering the whole "been sitting there for a few millenia" thing, but it might look like it (I doubt they age much, especially in a stasis box), and according to the rules of the internet, you just set in motion a chain of events that led to some fangirl writing up a lemony scene of a sparkly gholam getting his **** sucked by Rand (no, not the Rand I usually talk about).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
lastrequest691
Posts: 339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2010 1:16:08 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2010 12:46:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/24/2010 9:10:14 PM, Kleptin wrote:
The Wheel of Time series, penned under "Robert Jordan".

Magic, monsters, lots of fighting, war, and drama. The writing is exceptional so you get the enjoyment of reading fantasy without wanting to stab your eyes out from the childish, infantile prose you usually get from Tolkien wannabes.

Also, there are no teenage vampires.

Way to read the most dragged on fantasy series ever. I stopped the series around the 3rd book.

Have you read the latest one with Brandon Sanderson? Was it good?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
philosphical
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2010 5:12:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
These all sounds like great books and I would like to read some of them.

My suggestion is a trilogy called Bartimaues by Jonathon Stroud.

This is a very entertaining book trilogy that can be widely adapted to by all ages both old and young. This book takes place in a seemingly modern era, in london. The whole of london is ruled by magicians who (to some) seem widely controlling and discriminatory. The books main character is a young magician named Nathanial who seeks revenge at a young age to a certain simeon lovelace who has publicly humilated him. In order to seize his revenge, he must call upon a smart mouthed but very reliable demon, Bartimaues.
This book trilogy has increased interest after his second book was released "the golems eye" Which adds a different perspective to government actions and the way lesser citizens are treated when government gets too powerful.
Now while this writing sounds like its mainly aimed at youth, it has had more approved readings by 22% in adults. The reason for this I'm guessing is the large amount of description put into this book, and the maturity level that conforms to both adults and teenagers.
It's a unique writing style with highly comical footnotes and views of slavery.

I recommend all of you that haven't read this to read it asap. Its a fairly popular book however and I'm sure their are plenty of you who already have.
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
philosphical
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 7:19:49 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/25/2010 5:17:48 PM, Puck wrote:
You'd probably enjoy the book, Johnathan Strange and Mr Norrell, then, philosphical.

I'll have to look into those. Author names?
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 4:19:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/24/2010 9:04:38 PM, GhostWriter wrote:
I'd like to know what some of your favorite books are and why?

What about this book makes it so unique to you? I am a very avid reader, and enjoy hearing about good books to go buy.

My book suggestion:
The hunger games

I recently just finished this book and thought it was amazing. While I'm not a huge fan of first person style writings, this book specifically detailed out a picture and my mind, and is easy to read. This book offeres a different perspective at human life and shows how far some will go to survive. It also breaches at the various effects of human rebellion, and pushes the aspect that some people when driven too far will use their natural rebellion to claim their freedom. This is an amazing book that that has elements of characterization that are phenomonal, and shows variations of reality.
This book takes place in an alternate demension, the time period seemingly recent. There is an overly controlling capitol, in which has divided its people into twelve districts, where poverty is harsh and laws are strictly enforced. After a recent rebellion from an old district (13), the capitol has decided to enforce its power over its citizens in a sadistic manner. Each year an event called the hunger games happens. Two people are selected fromeach district (one boy and one girl), to battle it out for survival in a huge outdoor arena. Every person is forced to watch these games, so the capitol can help enforce the fact that rebellion will be no more. Young catniss everdeen, has volunteered into these games to save her sister. She must do whatever it takes to win these games and return happily to her family.


This is a very good read, and I highly suggest you read it.


Now open to your suggestions.

Read the "rain fall" series by Barry Eisler. They are some of the best spy/assassin books that I have read. John Rain could kill James Bond, Jack Bauer, and Jason Bourne in a 3 V. 1 fight with one arm tied behind his back and blindfolded.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 4:25:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/26/2010 4:19:42 PM, Freeman wrote:
John Rain could kill James Bond, Jack Bauer, and Jason Bourne in a 3 V. 1 fight with one arm tied behind his back and blindfolded.

I seriously doubt that.
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 4:48:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/26/2010 4:25:21 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 4/26/2010 4:19:42 PM, Freeman wrote:
John Rain could kill James Bond, Jack Bauer, and Jason Bourne in a 3 V. 1 fight with one arm tied behind his back and blindfolded.

I seriously doubt that.

He would break out of the ropes that bound him, tear off the blindfold, and then proceed to kill them all with Krav Maga- one of the many martial arts he knows.

Krav Maga is way more practical and deadly than the video lets on. The stuff they are doing is just for fun. In fact, it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that Krav Maga is the very best fighting system in the world.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 4:51:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/26/2010 7:19:49 AM, philosphical wrote:
At 4/25/2010 5:17:48 PM, Puck wrote:
You'd probably enjoy the book, Johnathan Strange and Mr Norrell, then, philosphical.

I'll have to look into those. Author names?

It's the one title, author, Susanna Clarke.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 4:54:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/26/2010 4:48:15 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 4/26/2010 4:25:21 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 4/26/2010 4:19:42 PM, Freeman wrote:
John Rain could kill James Bond, Jack Bauer, and Jason Bourne in a 3 V. 1 fight with one arm tied behind his back and blindfolded.

I seriously doubt that.

He would break out of the ropes that bound him, tear off the blindfold, and then proceed to kill them all with Krav Maga- one of the many martial arts he knows.



Krav Maga is way more practical and deadly than the video lets on. The stuff they are doing is just for fun. In fact, it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that Krav Maga is the very best fighting system in the world.

Actually it probably would be an exaggeration considering the fact that basically all military special forces fighting systems are very similar to it.

BTW I used to take Krav Maga.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 4:56:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/26/2010 4:48:15 PM, Freeman wrote:
In fact, it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that Krav Maga is the very best street fighting system in the world.

FTFY.
cutebunny43
Posts: 296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 4:57:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/25/2010 5:17:48 PM, Puck wrote:
You'd probably enjoy the book, Johnathan Strange

Reading this currently.

My all time favorite has been David Copperfield by Charles Dickens.
Mafia for Beginners Signup Now

http://www.debate.org...
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 5:22:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/26/2010 4:48:15 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 4/26/2010 4:25:21 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 4/26/2010 4:19:42 PM, Freeman wrote:
John Rain could kill James Bond, Jack Bauer, and Jason Bourne in a 3 V. 1 fight with one arm tied behind his back and blindfolded.

I seriously doubt that.

He would break out of the ropes that bound him, tear off the blindfold, and then proceed to kill them all with Krav Maga- one of the many martial arts he knows.

Good luck doing that under fire from three different directions by excellent marksmen.

Wait, what's the point of the blindfold if he starts with one arm not bound, therefore rendering the blindfold entirely meaningless? Usually, blindfolding oneself for a fight means leaving the blindfold on for the entire thing. No matter, really, as he'll bite the dust with bullets.