Jump to topic:

M.I.A. - Born Free

Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 4:44:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Apparently this video is extremely controversial. Political activism through entertainment at its finest. The video basically places gingers in the place of Muslims/Arabs. Essentially, the video is a War on Gingers, rather than a War on Terror. This is serious too, it's not meant to be funny, although a War on Gingers does indeed sound funny. You'll be able to tell it's serious and political activism when you watch the video.

Full story here: http://www.cnn.com...

YouTube keeps pulling the video, so this is the website that the video is being hosted on: http://miauk.com...
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 5:09:20 PM
I read the topic title and I was like "A movie called "Missing In Action - Born Free""? That's gotta be the best line ever.

Wasn't it, but the video didn't disappoint.

It is win.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 5:25:31 PM
lol what does it have to do with the war on terror? looks more like a scene out of nazi germany....
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 5:27:49 PM
I think it went overboard (the kid getting shot in the face and the blown up guy made me cringe a little), but I think that was the point.

I dunno. Is this supposed to be anti-war? We're getting out of Iraq and Afghanistan, so that can't be it. I just really think some of the stuff in the video was unnecessary. Making a scene to make a scene? I just don't understand.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 5:34:28 PM
Yeah, and what makes me suspect this is a publicity stunt more than a genuine expression of artistic merit is that the lyrics don't have anything remotely to do with the video. I mean, the closest thing I can find is the chorus, "I was born free."

Wow. Whoop-dee-do.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 5:37:27 PM
At 4/27/2010 5:25:31 PM, belle wrote:
lol what does it have to do with the war on terror? looks more like a scene out of nazi germany....

Seriously? The US Military is going into homes, taking people out, and imprisoning them without just cause all across the Middle East.

At 4/27/2010 5:27:49 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
I dunno. Is this supposed to be anti-war? We're getting out of Iraq and Afghanistan, so that can't be it.

We might be getting out of Iraq. But Obama just put another 30,000 troops into Afghanistan. The US is still extremely militaristic.

I just really think some of the stuff in the video was unnecessary. Making a scene to make a scene? I just don't understand.

I don't think the producer or artist wanted to make a scene just to make a scene. They clearly wanted to get across a message. Read the article.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 5:41:46 PM
At 4/27/2010 5:37:27 PM, Nags wrote:
At 4/27/2010 5:25:31 PM, belle wrote:

Seriously? The US Military is going into homes, taking people out, and imprisoning them without just cause all across the Middle East.

i am pretty sure the US military is not acting like the gestapo. at best its an extreme exaggeration of their actions.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 5:45:32 PM
At 4/27/2010 5:41:46 PM, belle wrote:
i am pretty sure the US military is not acting like the gestapo. at best its an extreme exaggeration of their actions.

Hmm. You didn't see the wikileaks video of the US Helicopter mowing down innocent Iraqi civilians?
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 5:48:12 PM
At 4/27/2010 5:45:32 PM, Nags wrote:
At 4/27/2010 5:41:46 PM, belle wrote:

Hmm. You didn't see the wikileaks video of the US Helicopter mowing down innocent Iraqi civilians?

i never defended the actual actions taken by the US, nor did i deny that they killed civilians. but i think its completely fruitless and unncessary to make blatant comparisons to nazis. what they *are* doing is bad enough :P
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 5:50:31 PM
At 4/27/2010 5:48:12 PM, belle wrote:
i never defended the actual actions taken by the US, nor did i deny that they killed civilians. but i think its completely fruitless and unncessary to make blatant comparisons to nazis. what they *are* doing is bad enough :P

The US is rounding up people with different skin colors and cultures and killing them. That's what the video is showing.

Ps. The producer was probably going for the whole completely-over-the-top thing. Which is basically what you're criticizing.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 5:56:17 PM
At 4/27/2010 5:50:31 PM, Nags wrote:
The US is rounding up people with different skin colors and cultures and killing them. That's what the video is showing.

somewhat of an equivocation since if all this is happening in the middle east the population they are drawing from is pretty much homogeneously arab. its not their race that sets them up to be f*cked with. iow, its not like they are going around and pulling people of a minority group from a larger population of which they are the majority. i think its really disingenuous to make the "war on terror" out to be something *racist*. we're perfectly capable of cooperating with arabs if they do what we want :P

Ps. The producer was probably going for the whole completely-over-the-top thing. Which is basically what you're criticizing.

i agree, it was almost certainly purposeful. i actually enjoyed the video itself, i just don't see the point of drawing a parallel to the war on terror as i think its a poor one.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 5:56:48 PM
I dunno. Is this supposed to be anti-war? We're getting out of Iraq and Afghanistan, so that can't be it.

We might be getting out of Iraq. But Obama just put another 30,000 troops into Afghanistan. The US is still extremely militaristic.

Agreed that the US is militaristic. But President Obama, unlike Bush, is trying to reduce that. Also, he has a strict time table for withdrawal if Afghanistan. His ultimate goal is to get out of there.

I just really think some of the stuff in the video was unnecessary. Making a scene to make a scene? I just don't understand.

I don't think the producer or artist wanted to make a scene just to make a scene. They clearly wanted to get across a message. Read the article.

I read the article. I still think it's at least partially a publicity stunt, which of course they might be aware of.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 6:00:41 PM
At 4/27/2010 5:56:17 PM, belle wrote:
somewhat of an equivocation since if all this is happening in the middle east the population they are drawing from is pretty much homogeneously arab. its not their race that sets them up to be f*cked with. iow, its not like they are going around and pulling people of a minority group from a larger population of which they are the majority. i think its really disingenuous to make the "war on terror" out to be something *racist*. we're perfectly capable of cooperating with arabs if they do what we want :P

Bolded. And who started this cycle of violence first? The Americans or the Arabs?

i agree, it was almost certainly purposeful. i actually enjoyed the video itself, i just don't see the point of drawing a parallel to the war on terror as i think its a poor one.

- Guantanamo Bay - obvious parallel.
- Middle East occupation - The US Military is killing innocent civilians left and right. There is no denying this.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 6:03:54 PM
At 4/27/2010 5:56:48 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Agreed that the US is militaristic. But President Obama, unlike Bush, is trying to reduce that. Also, he has a strict time table for withdrawal if Afghanistan. His ultimate goal is to get out of there.

Iraq timetable is August/September. I won't hold my breath. There has been no timetable set for Afghanistan, at least that I'm aware of.

I read the article. I still think it's at least partially a publicity stunt, which of course they might be aware of.

Of course.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 6:11:13 PM
At 4/27/2010 6:00:41 PM, Nags wrote:
Bolded. And who started this cycle of violence first? The Americans or the Arabs?

both sides are partially to blame. certainly i don't think the US should be playing world police and meddling in other countries, but on the other hand, prominent leaders in those regions promote violence as desirable and necessary. blaming it entirely on one side or the other is incredibly naive.

sure i've heard the argument that if the US hadn't tried to intervene then they wouldn't have a problem with us. but i find that questionable as they have a history of violence against their own people when it suits them...

and to be very clear (because i have a feeling i am going to get misunderstood lol) i am not saying that as a race or a people arabs are inherently violent or inferior. i *am* saying that the current culture in the region has a nasty violent streak and that it can be very destructive.

- Guantanamo Bay - obvious parallel.

yes because the people in guantanamo were imprisoned without trial because of their race! oh wait....

- Middle East occupation - The US Military is killing innocent civilians left and right. There is no denying this.

do i have to say again that i never denied this? lol...

killing civilians =/= secret police.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 6:14:32 PM

B U L L S H I T
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 6:16:00 PM
At 4/27/2010 6:11:13 PM, belle wrote:
[Way too off-topic for the title of this thread]

Ya.

yes because the people in guantanamo were imprisoned without trial because of their race! oh wait....

You don't think so? You don't think that some prisoners there are locked up because of their race? There have been a few cases where completely innocent Muslim/Arab men have been locked up for years in G-Bay, and then let free.

I don't think the video was portraying secret police. They were pretty visible and public to me.
lastrequest691
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 6:16:24 PM
Gingers.
Doesn't that mean the redheads ?
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 6:16:33 PM
At 4/27/2010 6:14:32 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:

B U L L S H I T

Lolz. Exactly. Bush and Obama both suck.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 6:17:07 PM
At 4/27/2010 6:16:24 PM, lastrequest691 wrote:
Gingers.
Doesn't that mean the redheads ?

Basically. You catch on quickly.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 6:20:45 PM
At 4/27/2010 6:16:00 PM, Nags wrote:
At 4/27/2010 6:11:13 PM, belle wrote:
[Way too off-topic for the title of this thread]

Ya.

dude lol. you're the one who asked who started the cycle of violence. don't ask questions if you don't want the answers :P

You don't think so? You don't think that some prisoners there are locked up because of their race? There have been a few cases where completely innocent Muslim/Arab men have been locked up for years in G-Bay, and then let free.

yes but the purpose wasn't to kill all arabs or to eradicate them or generally because all arabs are evil. a "war on gingers" is basically genocide. the "war on terror" is simply poorly planned imperialism.

I don't think the video was portraying secret police. They were pretty visible and public to me.

"Instead of transparently enforcing the rule of law and being subject to public scrutiny as ordinary police agencies do, secret police organizations are specifically intended to operate beyond and above the law in order to suppress political dissent through clandestine acts of terror and intimidation (such as kidnapping, coercive interrogation, torture, internal exile, forced disappearance, and assassination) targeted against political enemies of the ruling authority."
http://en.wikipedia.org...

thats the idea i was getting at with the use of "secret police"
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2010 11:38:56 AM
Video was funny, the message behind it sucked, kudos to the bass and drums, the vocals sucked
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2010 12:17:56 PM
I think it went overboard (the kid getting shot in the face and the blown up guy made me cringe a little), but I think that was the point.

I dunno. Is this supposed to be anti-war? We're getting out of Iraq and Afghanistan, so that can't be it. I just really think some of the stuff in the video was unnecessary. Making a scene to make a scene? I just don't understand.

We're getting out of Iraq and Afghan? Really? I don't think so.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2010 12:20:19 PM
At 4/28/2010 12:17:56 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:

Iraq, yes. Afghanistan, no.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2010 8:19:29 AM
At 4/28/2010 12:20:19 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 4/28/2010 12:17:56 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:

Iraq, yes.

What? Really? Didn't choo hear about dose permanent bases?

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2010 10:35:46 AM
At 4/30/2010 8:19:29 AM, Rezzealaux wrote:
What? Really? Didn't choo hear about dose permanent bases?

I'm not concerned about permanent bases, since they're both legal and accepted, and won't be servicing active combat troops. "Withdrawing" in this case means pulling out active combat troops, which is what will be happening.