Jump to topic:

Eminem is not the best rapper

Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 2:05:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I will be the first to admit that Eminem is overrated. There are other rappers out there who deserve that title. Although he has excellent flow, he lacks alot of lyricism."Lose yourself" is an exception where he gives a clever rhyme scheme, but he lacks that consistency in several songs. Rap is spoken poetry and as such, the best rapper should be able to master several literary devices such as alliteration, assonance, consonance, imagery, repetition, paradox, internal rhymes, multis, rhythm, wordplay, similes, metaphors, onomatopoeia, hyperbole, personification, allusions, etc. while having a dynamic and unique flow.
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 6:34:59 PM
At 11/25/2014 2:05:40 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
I will be the first to admit that Eminem is overrated. There are other rappers out there who deserve that title. Although he has excellent flow, he lacks alot of lyricism."Lose yourself" is an exception where he gives a clever rhyme scheme, but he lacks that consistency in several songs. Rap is spoken poetry and as such, the best rapper should be able to master several literary devices such as alliteration, assonance, consonance, imagery, repetition, paradox, internal rhymes, multis, rhythm, wordplay, similes, metaphors, onomatopoeia, hyperbole, personification, allusions, etc. while having a dynamic and unique flow.

I agree that a great rapper needs to be able to do all those things. I don't think Eminem is the greatest, but I wouldn't call him overrated either.

His recent stuff hasn't been as enjoyable to me, but he's still got talent. Rap God was a great track, in my opinion. His older stuff was where he really shined though.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 11:21:48 PM

His older stuff is more lyrically pleasing
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 10:29:58 AM
At 11/25/2014 11:21:48 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

His older stuff is more lyrically pleasing

Agreed, i love his flow and rhymes in his older stuff.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 10:32:00 AM
At 11/25/2014 6:34:59 PM, Cryo wrote:

I agree that a great rapper needs to be able to do all those things. I don't think Eminem is the greatest, but I wouldn't call him overrated either.

His recent stuff hasn't been as enjoyable to me, but he's still got talent. Rap God was a great track, in my opinion. His older stuff was where he really shined though.

I agree.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 9:19:32 PM
Smh...I don't see how anyone ranks him near the top...he isn't even in my top 10...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2014 7:08:16 PM

Some of thr best rappers in the world give Eminem props, so what you think doesn't really matter. He is a master of rap. Who is the best is completely subjective.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 12:35:54 PM
What are the parameters here? There are some things Eminem does and says that can only come from him.