Jump to topic:

Growing Up

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 8:35:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I don't know if this is necessarily "teenage angst" or "teenage apathy" or whatever, but I'm wondering if you've felt it, because I've been experiencing a lot of it lately.

It's the feeling that things that used to bring you pleasure no longer bring you any pleasure or that things that used to be REALLY pleasurable have become less so.

Like a good meal, for example. I used to really enjoy good, hearty meals. Not so anymore.

Or television, or YouTube clips. I used to love TV and YouTube so much more than I do now.

Even masturbation, for crying out loud! I used to derive so much more pleasure from wanking!!!

I dunno...is my experience unique, or have you been feeling the same thing?
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 8:40:39 PM
At 5/8/2010 8:35:51 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
I don't know if this is necessarily "teenage angst" or "teenage apathy" or whatever, but I'm wondering if you've felt it, because I've been experiencing a lot of it lately.

It's the feeling that things that used to bring you pleasure no longer bring you any pleasure or that things that used to be REALLY pleasurable have become less so.

Like a good meal, for example. I used to really enjoy good, hearty meals. Not so anymore.

Or television, or YouTube clips. I used to love TV and YouTube so much more than I do now.

Even masturbation, for crying out loud! I used to derive so much more pleasure from wanking!!!

Bro, I'm feeling the exact same way. I've been wondering for the last six months if I've been having problems with jacking off: it felt so GOOD at the beginning, and now I only do it because it's an almost daily routine.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 8:44:07 PM
Aw, PoeJoe's growing up.

Yes and no. I used to derive quite a lot of pleasure from quite a lot of things that do nothing for me now. I used to be interested in a lot of different things that I just get bored doing. Life as usual gets boring and tiresome and there's nothing left to do but mope. Hell, I dropped out of school because of it.

But, I wouldn't call it "teenage angst." It's life. If you're committed to something for years, and yet something just keeps disappointing you or continues the same as ever, with no new exciting events or changes, you get bored. Life absolutely gets that way, an awful lot too. It'll happen several times in life, guaranteed.

You'll eventually find something new to do that you'll derive pleasure from. It's only a matter of time.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 8:44:58 PM
At 5/8/2010 8:44:07 PM, Volkov wrote:
Aw, PoeJoe's growing up.

Yes and no. I used to derive quite a lot of pleasure from quite a lot of things that do nothing for me now. I used to be interested in a lot of different things that I just get bored doing. Life as usual gets boring and tiresome and there's nothing left to do but mope. Hell, I dropped out of school because of it.

But, I wouldn't call it "teenage angst." It's life. If you're committed to something for years, and yet something just keeps disappointing you or continues the same as ever, with no new exciting events or changes, you get bored. Life absolutely gets that way, an awful lot too. It'll happen several times in life, guaranteed.

You'll eventually find something new to do that you'll derive pleasure from. It's only a matter of time.

I've been feeling INCREDIBLY BORED for the last seven months.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 8:46:55 PM
At 5/8/2010 8:44:58 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

I was bored for about a year and a half. Most of it was my own doing, since I constantly reinforced habits and things I was bored of.

It could last a while yet, at least until you find something new. For me, it was my entrance into politics that jumpstarted me again. Seek opportunities and ye shall find... eventually.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 8:49:31 PM
At 5/8/2010 8:46:55 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 5/8/2010 8:44:58 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

I was bored for about a year and a half. Most of it was my own doing, since I constantly reinforced habits and things I was bored of.

Same.

It could last a while yet, at least until you find something new. For me, it was my entrance into politics that jumpstarted me again. Seek opportunities and ye shall find... eventually.

I want to possibly do political science, but apparently there is not future for that. I kind of had a bad experience when I was younger, so I tend to isolate myself from others before they can isolate me. However, I act just normally at school, and have a decent amount of buddies at school. I'm simply the Type A introvert.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 8:57:08 PM
At 5/8/2010 8:49:31 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I want to possibly do political science, but apparently there is not future for that. I kind of had a bad experience when I was younger, so I tend to isolate myself from others before they can isolate me. However, I act just normally at school, and have a decent amount of buddies at school. I'm simply the Type A introvert.

True. I'm not quite sure which Myers-Briggs I am, but I'm generally the same way.

For myself, instead of simply finding ways of trying to break my "rut," as my mum calls it, I simply fell into it. I've always wondered whether actively searching for something ends up failing because of the sort of mindset you get into while in a rut; where you look for something, yet it's reinforced negatively in your mind whether you like it or not.

That's why I'm saying, don't expect something to be it - just seek the opportunity to try, and you'll find what you want eventually. Might not make sense, but eh.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 9:02:20 PM
Kleptin had this huge thread on how he was losing touch with himself on the Debate.org forum. Go there and be OH SO RONERY together.

This isn't an entertainment thread.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 9:03:22 PM
At 5/8/2010 8:57:08 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 5/8/2010 8:49:31 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

True. I'm not quite sure which Myers-Briggs I am, but I'm generally the same way.

For myself, instead of simply finding ways of trying to break my "rut," as my mum calls it, I simply fell into it. I've always wondered whether actively searching for something ends up failing because of the sort of mindset you get into while in a rut; where you look for something, yet it's reinforced negatively in your mind whether you like it or not.

That's why I'm saying, don't expect something to be it - just seek the opportunity to try, and you'll find what you want eventually. Might not make sense, but eh.

I am quite pessimistic and have low self-esteem personally. These really hinder me from forming actual "relationships" with others.

In your personal opinion, have I at least somewhat become more open-minded and less judgmental over the past years?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 9:05:22 PM
At 5/8/2010 9:03:22 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I am quite pessimistic and have low self-esteem personally. These really hinder me from forming actual "relationships" with others.

In your personal opinion, have I at least somewhat become more open-minded and less judgmental over the past years?

I haven't known you that long, and this is over the internet, but you seem to have become more open and fair in my opinion, from what I've seen.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 9:07:47 PM
At 5/8/2010 9:05:22 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 5/8/2010 9:03:22 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

I haven't known you that long, and this is over the internet, but you seem to have become more open and fair in my opinion, from what I've seen.

Bro, I used to be the classical Christian conservative holier-than-thou type. This website and its opportunities for logical discussions have allowed me to see the errors of my ways. My goal is to become virtually completely open minded, which is obviously almost impossible. However, I really have no "moments" anymore that make me want to go back to my old ways - it's kind of like letting go of a prior addiction.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 9:12:26 PM
At 5/8/2010 9:07:47 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
Bro, I used to be the classical Christian conservative holier-than-thou type. This website and its opportunities for logical discussions have allowed me to see the errors of my ways. My goal is to become virtually completely open minded, which is obviously almost impossible. However, I really have no "moments" anymore that make me want to go back to my old ways - it's kind of like letting go of a prior addiction.

Definitely sounds like you've changed, which is a good sign. Not reinforcing reactionary thoughts is also very good. xD
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 9:13:38 PM
At 5/8/2010 9:12:26 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 5/8/2010 9:07:47 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Definitely sounds like you've changed, which is a good sign. Not reinforcing reactionary thoughts is also very good. xD

Yeah. My supreme goal is to be globally recognized for something - feel like I really contributed something to this earth.
CrysisPillar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 9:15:16 PM

Oh heck yes. Besides the mastering...I don't do that....never did... but everything seems to be so dull nowadays and one little thing ruins my day.
But I did find out (Trying to take up some line space here before my mom scrolls up and sees the master part) that trying new things can make you feel more free.

Yeah, oh, skipping lines works. well, anyways... like, try a new food. Try a new ice cream flavor instead of your usual favorite. getting out in the sun more makes you happier. Trying new things makes you realize how many more things are out there in the world for you. At least, it helped me. I'm still sort of in there (I'm 14,) but yeah. Just try it.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 9:15:21 PM
You may wish to see a doctor if you no longer derive pleasure from wanking.

Or try a new technique.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 9:18:34 PM
At 5/8/2010 9:13:38 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
Yeah. My supreme goal is to be globally recognized for something - feel like I really contributed something to this earth.

Agreed. :D
CrysisPillar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 9:18:56 PM
At 5/8/2010 9:15:21 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Or try a new technique.

Uhm....well then. I don't suggest the new technique, but I do suggest that seeing a doctor or maybe a therapist will help. you never need to tell anyone that you're seeing one. A lot of people that yo uknow probably do for Adhd or other things, but you just don't know it. I'm with a therapist and it's working out great for me. Then again, I'm also on meds, so I don't know if that really does anything significant? Besides that I might not be alive today if I didn't take my 2 pills yesterday >.>
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 9:20:02 PM
At 5/8/2010 9:18:56 PM, CrysisPillar wrote:
At 5/8/2010 9:15:21 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Or try a new technique.

Uhm....well then. I don't suggest the new technique
Judging from your post above me, you have no standing to suggest or not suggest such a thing.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 9:20:34 PM
I like the doctor suggestion.

"Hey there doc."
"Hi Joe, what are you here for?"
"I can't wank properly."

And if its a hot female doctor, then the music comes on and PoeJoe has no more problems.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 9:21:47 PM
At 5/8/2010 9:20:34 PM, Volkov wrote:
I like the doctor suggestion.

"Hey there doc."
"Hi Joe, what are you here for?"
"I can't wank properly."

And if its a hot female doctor, then the music comes on and PoeJoe has no more problems.

If it's a hot female doctor, tell her you think you have testicular cancer. The scene won't be quite as fun but it's also roughly 100,000 times more likely to happen.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 9:21:57 PM
Oh, I forgot.

This is the troll line.

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 9:22:36 PM
At 5/8/2010 9:21:57 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
Oh, I forgot.

This is the troll line.

You trollin dawg.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 9:24:21 PM
At 5/8/2010 9:22:36 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Oh, I forgot.

This is the troll line.

You trollin dawg.

No, I just think there's way too many god d*mn OH SO RONERY threads.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 9:29:38 PM
At 5/8/2010 9:24:21 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
At 5/8/2010 9:22:36 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Oh, I forgot.

This is the troll line.

You trollin dawg.

No, I just think there's way too many god d*mn OH SO RONERY threads.

True. Does no one find it a little strange that everyone is so apt to discuss their psychological issues lately?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 9:30:17 PM
At 5/8/2010 9:29:38 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
True. Does no one find it a little strange that everyone is so apt to discuss their psychological issues lately?

No. I welcome it. I haven't had a good psychology discussion in awhile.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 9:31:15 PM
At 5/8/2010 9:30:17 PM, Volkov wrote:

Same. Psychology may be a course I'd like to partake, so I may as well get some different perspectives now that can help me later.

Sir, you cannot think just of the present, but of the past and the furture as well.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 9:33:25 PM
At 5/8/2010 9:30:17 PM, Volkov wrote:

I mean in the sense that it's a bit out of the ordinary. It's all so very sudden.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 9:33:41 PM

Totally agree i stopped watching TV alltogether, and I surprise myself on how even wanking isnt the same anymore
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2010 9:34:28 PM
At 5/8/2010 9:33:25 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I mean in the sense that it's a bit out of the ordinary. It's all so very sudden.

Many teenagers are going through their existential crisis about this time. That's my only guess.