Jump to topic:

Ancient Aliens - WTF!?

BigMac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2010 11:39:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm not a religious nut-job, but I have a serious problem with a few of the arguments this show makes.

It would take VOLUMES to mention all of the fallacies/idiotic statements made, so I will only name the most absurd that jumped out at me.

First, they show a painting of a swirly cloud with a ray shining on a depiction of the Annunciation.

source pic: http://en.wikipedia.org...

An imbecile conspiracy theorist by the name of Giorgio Tsoukalos (who is also the show's apparent "star and consulting producer" who also is "publisher of Legendary Times Magazine, the only Ancient Astronaut publication in the world. Giorgio is the real-life Indiana Jones and he is changing the way the world thinks about the Ancient Astronaut Theory." <-- according to Legendary Times' website, a.k.a. HIS WEBSITE. i think its safe to say this man is clinically insane.) comes on and says, "MAYBE THE ARTIST SAW THIS ALIEN SPACESHIP OVER MARY! AND HE RECORDED HIS ENCOUNTER IN THIS PAINTING!" And that the ship made her pregnant, and thus explaining the "virgin mother" story.

Few problems:
The painting is from the Renaissance. In EUROPE. The artist was born in 1435. 1436 YEARS AFTER THE ANNUNCIATION. And Mary is depicted as a Italian Noblewoman. /facepalm.

This man, is undoubtedly a complete moron who has no idea of what he's talking about.

Another instance of complete idiocy is their use of Cotton Mather as a source. Not just a small source, but a MAJOR SOURCE. Showing they also did no basic research on their sources. For those who don't know, Mather was a religious minister in Salem, Massachusetts who was one of the MAIN SUPPORTERS of the infamous Salem Witch Trials and also a friend of MANY of the judges on the stand. Just using this insane man as a source for anything is preposterous.

He stated that "spectral evidence" was a completely viable source of testimony in the trials of these "witches". Spectral evidence, for those who don't know, is a form of evidence based upon dreams and visions.

Basically: "testimony that the accused witch's spirit (i.e. spectre) appeared to the witness in a dream or vision (maybe a black cat or wolf for example). The dream or vision was admitted as evidence. Thus, witnesses (who were often the accusers) would testify that "Goody Proctor bit, pinched, and almost choked me," and it would be taken as evidence that the accused were responsible for the biting, pinching and choking even though they were elsewhere at the time."
http://en.wikipedia.org...

They repeated his name throughout the program thereafter stating things like "Mather and his colleagues discovered" and "Men like Mather believe."

Personally, this has HUGELY discredited the History Channel to me. What about other shows I saw as credible? Maybe I just didn't see the fallacies and absurdities like a saw in this one?

I recommend it. ONLY to see what the intelligent members of DDO catch what i didn't, seeing as i was fading in and out since i was distracted by the interwebz.
I'm back.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 8:50:15 AM
Lol, sounds like fun to watch. But the History Channel, for some reason, seems to be going down the path of sensational stories which have barely any supporting facts or ideas behind it. I'm all for giving people their 15 minutes, no matter how crazy they are, but not their own shows.

The same thing happens with the HC show, "The Nostradamus Effect." It's a show about the ramblings of Nostradamus and other prophetic, apocalyptic visions, including Revelations, Fatima, etc. All this with just a bare nod to the fact that science and researchers don't believe a word of it. They take the rest of it pretty much as serious, and bring on so-called "experts" who do nothing but mouth platitudes and, "oh the world is more violent now so we're coming to the end times." It's not more violent you dimbulb, we just have much better lines of communication and stupid sensationalizers like yourselves to blow stories out of proportion!! And don't get me started on all these new disaster shows.

Bah. Only HC show worth watching now is Ancients Behaving Badly and Cities of the Underworld. Screw the rest.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 9:00:54 AM
At 5/23/2010 8:50:15 AM, Volkov wrote:
Lol, sounds like fun to watch. But the History Channel, for some reason, seems to be going down the path of sensational stories which have barely any supporting facts or ideas behind it. I'm all for giving people their 15 minutes, no matter how crazy they are, but not their own shows.

yep.

I no longer watch the history channel...

that is, except for monday nights when Pawn Stars is on.

that's pAwn stars with an A mind you
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 9:28:45 AM
Bah. Only HC show worth watching now is Ancients Behaving Badly and Cities of the Underworld. Screw the rest.

I like Gangland! :)
President of DDO
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 9:31:26 AM
At 5/23/2010 9:28:45 AM, theLwerd wrote:

I like Gangland! :)

I liked it like the first time I saw it...

but it's always the same story...

and you always have to watch interviews of stupid pricks who should still be rotting in jail.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
BigMac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 4:09:13 PM

Agreed. these people should have their own show, called "Nutjobs of the World".
-tagline: you think you know stupid people? wait to you see what these people believe!

The same thing happens with the HC show, "The Nostradamus Effect." It's a show about the ramblings of Nostradamus and other prophetic, apocalyptic visions, including Revelations, Fatima, etc. All this with just a bare nod to the fact that science and researchers don't believe a word of it. They take the rest of it pretty much as serious, and bring on so-called "experts" who do nothing but mouth platitudes and, "oh the world is more violent now so we're coming to the end times." It's not more violent you dimbulb, we just have much better lines of communication and stupid sensationalizers like yourselves to blow stories out of proportion!! And don't get me started on all these new disaster shows.

ive seen that. almost as hard to watch. but this by far out does it.

hm. havent seen Cities of the Underworld. guess ill check it out. Modern Marvels is interesting because most of the shizz they talk about is common everyday things that are actually great feats of technology, like bridges and stuff.

I also enjoy to watch pawn stars, but they try to add plot to the show and the actors.... are terrible at acting. since, well, they aren't professional actors. Some of the jokes they crack are pretty dry and corny and it adds unnecessary BS to the whole point of the show: seeing the cool/insane sh!t ppl are willing to sell.

like the dude who made a glass sword. that was just BA.

Gangland can also get anoying w/ the repetion of how eacch gang ends the same. all biker gangs end this way all "gangsta" gangs end that way. etc.

still entertaining when you see an intelligent former-member and watch them describe the inner workings in normal english. very interesting...
I'm back.
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2010 7:06:27 PM
For the most part I agree with you. Most of the claims are absurd to say the least, but there are some things I found interesting-mainly the architecture segments.
When Reach fell, I came.
lastrequest691
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2010 7:40:13 PM
He needs to go to the doctor.

Aliens are not real- There is no proof.
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2010 7:47:41 PM
At 5/27/2010 7:40:13 PM, lastrequest691 wrote:

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence.
BigMac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 7:00:40 AM
At 5/27/2010 7:47:41 PM, Volkov wrote:

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence.

*brain essplode*
I'm back.
LukasJackson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 11:08:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/27/2010 7:47:41 PM, Volkov wrote:

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence
What about a fair amount of evidence that there is no evidence to be found, making the absent evidence even more evident that there is no evidence. Or something.....
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2012 11:48:24 PM
South park recently released an episode making fun of the history channel and it's aliens. It was pretty funny.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2012 12:28:46 AM
I cannot remember where I watched it, but one utterly ridiculous theory that was mentioned in a documentary was that the reason why the Chinese are so different and populous is because some thousands of years before Chris (probably 12,000), aliens who were in China bred with the Chinese people, which resulted in the them being different and populous now.
cynicalskeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2012 2:45:40 AM
I used to love watching Ancient Aliens for the thought experiments but now they really try to sensationalize everything especially with Tsoukalos. He states his opinions as facts all too often with little to none or severely incorrect supporting arguments. Its a shame too, I'm sure he is a very intelligent individual but his opinions trample all over the scientific method. Unfortunately the masses will probably believe all too well whatever nonsense comes out of his mouth or any of the other sensationalist theory comes from the Ancient Aliens show.
cynicalskeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2012 2:46:40 AM
At 3/17/2012 11:48:24 PM, TUF wrote:
South park recently released an episode making fun of the history channel and it's aliens. It was pretty funny.

I gotta look that up and watch it!
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2012 2:47:12 AM
Good God, Geo never showed!?!?!?!?!?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-