Jump to topic:

Taylor Swift

tabularasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 6:10:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Is it true that she cannot sing outside of a single octave? If this is true, why the hell is she famous for singing?!
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 6:11:45 PM
At 12/21/2014 6:10:39 PM, tabularasa wrote:
Is it true that she cannot sing outside of a single octave? If this is true, why the hell is she famous for singing?!

IDGAF.
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 7:15:43 PM

I don't know anything about singing so I can't comment on her vocal range. But obviously singers are famous for more than just their singing ability. The great singers are remembered for being great singers, but Taylor Swift is an entertainer. She writes songs that people want to listen to. As long as she's a decent enough singer to perform what she writes, it's not a problem.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 10:14:13 AM
I have a friend who looks like Taylor Swift.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 4:15:57 PM

I am by no means comparing Taylor Swift to Billie Holiday, but Lady Day actually had an very limited vocal range. That isn't really a good indicator of a skilled singer. I actually consider the unnecessary runs and (basically) screaming in much modern music to be a glaring detriment, not a plus. Taylor's problem is that her lyrics are vacuous.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
spunkysmum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:53:40 AM

I think the argument could be made that she cannot sing even within an octave.