The Real L Word

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 11:32:09 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
http://www.sho.com...

So The L Word was a fiction show about a group of [hot] lesbians and I miss it a lot. But now there's a new show called The Real L Word - also on Showtime, my favorite network - which is about a group of [real] lesbians. I'm skeptical about this. I feel like people are going to make judgments about a 'lifestyle' based on these people, but I also feel like it could be really great getting a glimpse into how this group of 'others' is really just kinda normal thanks to this reality show. There are the players, the hotties, the uglies, the singles, the couples, the clubbers, etc. just like in real life and all social groups.

Do any of you think you'll actually watch this or that it's a show you'd be interested in? I'm not sure if I'll watch it -- for one thing I was planning on getting rid of cable (in favor of Hulu and Netflix) and for another I'm not sure it actually looks interesting. I do like SOME reality shows, such as the ones on Bravo i.e. The Real Housewives of New York City, etc. But I dunno. Haha who am I kidding -- I'll watch it. But even if you won't, do you guys think this will have a positive or negative impact on society? The gay community? The religious community? In other words, what do you think the repercussions of this series might be? At the very least it will open up a dialog which I think is the first step in making progress toward acceptance if not just tolerance.
President of DDO
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 11:47:22 AM
At 6/4/2010 11:32:09 AM, theLwerd wrote:
http://www.sho.com...

So The L Word was a fiction show about a group of [hot] lesbians and I miss it a lot. But now there's a new show called The Real L Word - also on Showtime, my favorite network - which is about a group of [real] lesbians. I'm skeptical about this. I feel like people are going to make judgments about a 'lifestyle' based on these people, but I also feel like it could be really great getting a glimpse into how this group of 'others' is really just kinda normal thanks to this reality show. There are the players, the hotties, the uglies, the singles, the couples, the clubbers, etc. just like in real life and all social groups.

Do any of you think you'll actually watch this or that it's a show you'd be interested in? I'm not sure if I'll watch it -- for one thing I was planning on getting rid of cable (in favor of Hulu and Netflix) and for another I'm not sure it actually looks interesting. I do like SOME reality shows, such as the ones on Bravo i.e. The Real Housewives of New York City, etc. But I dunno. Haha who am I kidding -- I'll watch it. But even if you won't, do you guys think this will have a positive or negative impact on society? The gay community? The religious community? In other words, what do you think the repercussions of this series might be? At the very least it will open up a dialog which I think is the first step in making progress toward acceptance if not just tolerance.

i wouldn't look to Reality TV to contribute anything positive to anything.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 11:48:49 AM
It'll probably end up like that TV show, the Real Housewives of something. Riding the coattails of successful fictional shows always ends up in sad, depressing reality TV.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 11:53:01 AM
At 6/4/2010 11:47:22 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
i wouldn't look to Reality TV to contribute anything positive to anything.

You're thinking of shows like Big Brother which are obviously BS. However you're being too broadly negative. A successful marriage (and baby) came from The Bachelorette -- though I am against those shows -- and what about that show that put CEOs in touch with the every day low employees of their company? The show had a lot of benefits to both the individuals involved (many got promotions) and society (some CEOs changed/improved aspects of their company including treatment of employees, etc).
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 11:57:27 AM
At 6/4/2010 11:48:49 AM, Volkov wrote:
It'll probably end up like that TV show, the Real Housewives of something. Riding the coattails of successful fictional shows always ends up in sad, depressing reality TV.

While the expected negativity is evident, I disagree - especially with matt. First, The Real Housewives on Bravo covers Orange County, New York City and New Jersey. All 3 shows are successful -- some people like to watch that stuff, and some people don't. Admittedly it's not reality TV with a purpose and doesn't accomplish anything.

However, as I said in the original post, this could be beneficial in starting a dialog about what it really means to be gay. Many people are not exposed to gays and have all of these ridiculous misconceptions (hey a bunch of them are even on this website!) -- this show can depict lesbians or lesbian couples the same as any other people or couple. Maybe if they see a functional couple actually in love, successful, etc. then people will rethink their stance on gay marriage. Maybe if they see lesbians with kids (which a couple on this show has) they will rethink their stance on gay adoption. Those are 2 benefits right there. Additionally, ever hear the phrase any exposure is good exposure? Again, if this show becomes popular, it can bring gay rights and activism to the forefront of political and social dialog thus inspiring more change... at least that's a hope.

Moreover the people on the show have already said that being on the show has influenced them better in their own personal lives (such as helping their family cope with the reality of their sexuality). So again, while the negativity is all but expected from people here, the reality is that this probably WILL have some positive effects.
President of DDO
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 12:08:31 PM
The question you have to ask yourself is what do you think people, the majority of whom are your typical, generally naive heterosexuals with preconditioned ideas about homosexuals, both positive and negative, will want to see on this show? Because if they don't see things that either further their ideas or astound them in profound ways, this show won't go anywhere. How do you think this will drive the show? To what heights do you think producers will go to show certain things in certain contexts which you know is simply incorrect?

Reality TV is horrible in this aspect, and it drives the entire industry. Just wait.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 12:14:09 PM
Producers want idiots.

Idiots want to be on TV.

so... Reality TV almost always = Idiots on TV
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 12:15:48 PM
At 6/4/2010 12:14:09 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Producers want idiots.

Idiots want to be on TV.

not that I watch it... but that's what I gather from the commercials... and seeing tidbits when my sisters watch it.

Metaphysics:
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 8:29:39 AM
At 6/4/2010 12:14:09 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Producers want idiots.

Idiots want to be on TV.

Haha. Again, you're being far too narrow and only limiting this to a select few shows. Have you ever seen The Apprentice? It's a reality show for business owners to compete to work for Donald Trump. The people who win get top jobs in his company. They are all highly educated and intelligent. What about Top Chef? Those people are gourmet trained and own their own restaurants; the winner gets a huge contract. What about Work Out? It was a reality show based around [lesbian] Jackie Warner and her multi-million dollar business -- she's intelligent and basically did the show for networking opportunities (and it worked). The same could be said about the people on Project Runway (furthering their career), Nine by Design, etc. I've agreed that many people who do reality shows are RE-TAR-DED but the women on this show are doing it to portray a lifestyle. Some of them are ridiculously successful (there's a movie producer, a business owner, etc.) but even if they're dumb, again the show will still get some press and again bring important issues to the forefront of discussion.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 8:34:05 AM
At 6/4/2010 12:08:31 PM, Volkov wrote:
The question you have to ask yourself is what do you think people, the majority of whom are your typical, generally naive heterosexuals with preconditioned ideas about homosexuals, both positive and negative, will want to see on this show? Because if they don't see things that either further their ideas or astound them in profound ways, this show won't go anywhere.

Lesbians will watch it for obvious reasons. Gay men prolly won't watch it. Straight guys may watch it for the girl hook-ups. Straight women (or straight men who watch for non-sexual reasons), regardless of their reasons for tuning in initially (maybe they will just be channel surfing - who knows) will see lesbians in functioning relationships. Period. As I said, there are SO many misconceptions about lesbians -- many from people on this site -- and people who aren't exposed to them regularly may have no idea wtf goes on or whatever. You're liberal as all hell and you live in CANADA. People in bumblefvck USA are not exposed to this kind of thing, ever. As I said, if they see people in love in stable, healthy and functioning relationships they may feel more, I dunno, human? And maybe rethink some of their narrow-minded positions? It also might inspire some people who are already liberal to take a more active interest in certain things. They might not take to the streets picketing with the HRC, but next time Prop 8 is up for voting, maybe they will consider the reality of gay couples. Again the only expectation I really have is for a few people to open their hearts and minds. If it changes or positively influences even a dozen people then the show will be a success. That's how I see it.
President of DDO
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 9:17:44 AM
At 6/5/2010 8:29:39 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Donald Trump

on his show the One Big Idiot makes up for lots of normal people.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 9:20:46 AM
I agree that it could possibly help in letting people see lesbians as normal...

BUT I wouldn't expect that.

it's possible.... but I'd say it's more likely it'll mostly be about stupid people who want to be whores on TV as are most such shows.

Metaphysics:
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 9:23:17 AM
All but 2 are in relationships; I doubt being whores is their goal. All of them are successful; I doubt fame and fortune is their goal. Either way regardless of their goals or personality, the show WILL be talked about (even if negatively) which again brings up a dialog and I think that's important :)
President of DDO
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2010 7:37:37 AM
so... who's right???

was it an enlightening show about the normalcy of Lesbians???

OR was it highly condensed stupidness as are most reality shows?

Metaphysics:
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2010 7:44:48 AM
At 6/21/2010 7:37:37 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
so... who's right???

was it an enlightening show about the normalcy of Lesbians???

OR was it highly condensed stupidness as are most reality shows?

I didn't watch it... Regardless, you wouldn't know who was "right." I said that it would be beneficial in the sense that it could change at least 1 person's mind or at the very least open up a dialog between people who might be unfamiliar with the lifestyle. There's no way to prove that it will or will not do that (unless something happens on a mass scale which I highly doubt). Moreover if the show started already - which I'm not sure if it has, but it may have last night - then it's still early. My 'hope' is that some Republican sees the relationship between the couple on the show and has second thoughts about their stance on something like gay marriage. Just one switch in POV would be satisfactory enough for me :)
President of DDO