Jump to topic:

Censorship

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 10:33:42 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
A snuff movie website was recently shut down following a probe by the Mail on Sunday newspaper.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk...

This is an absolute disgrace and represents a gross infringement of our civil liberties.

If these interfereing busybodies and their ultra-conservative readers don't want to watch snuff movies, they don't have to.

I appreciate they do not appeal most people, but as you can see from the snuff movie embedded here, they don't do anybody any harm and provided they don't feature children taking snuff, which would be illegal, I don't believe they should be banned.

Seriously though, what is it with people who want to ban programmes and films all the time? If they don't like something they don't have to watch it, right?

I mean I don't like Big Brother but I don't wan't to see it banned - there are hundreds of channels on my TV and Big Brother is only on about half of them!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 12:03:06 PM
Hmm, questions.

Did the snuff filmmakers get consent form from their actors?

Was the site owned by the filmmakers or a third party?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 12:05:03 PM
Huh, should've read before I asked. This isn't even real snuff. Fail. What's next, banning GTA? Omigod killing cops and hookers-- leaving out that it's not real.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 5:03:36 PM
At 6/11/2010 12:05:03 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Huh, should've read before I asked. This isn't even real snuff. Fail. What's next, banning GTA? Omigod killing cops and hookers-- leaving out that it's not real.

Not that I'm for banning GTA as I play it myself sometimes, but it can be problematic when there's 10 and 11 year olds playing it. I have seen that.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 5:08:09 PM
At 6/11/2010 5:03:36 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Not that I'm for banning GTA as I play it myself sometimes, but it can be problematic when there's 10 and 11 year olds playing it. I have seen that.
There should be age restrictions. Children grow up being what they experience, as much as a white paper turns out being in the color you painted it with.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 5:12:24 PM
At 6/11/2010 5:08:09 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/11/2010 5:03:36 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
There should be age restrictions. Children grow up being what they experience, as much as a white paper turns out being in the color you painted it with.

Yes, but the problem is that many parents don't enforce them.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 5:16:51 PM
At 6/11/2010 5:12:24 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Yes, but the problem is that many parents don't enforce them.
Yes. Parents need to know. We need more campaigns. But, in the future it might be different. Now we have parents who know little about video games and how they affect people, especially children.

Also, horror movies and such violent things should simply be outlawed for children. They weaken their hearts and minds totally.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 5:20:46 PM
At 6/11/2010 5:16:51 PM, Mirza wrote:
Also, horror movies and such violent things should simply be outlawed for children. They weaken their hearts and minds totally.

Lol, you're such a sheltered person.

Anyways, f*ck censorship.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 5:21:51 PM
At 6/11/2010 5:20:46 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 6/11/2010 5:16:51 PM, Mirza wrote:

Anyways, f*ck censorship.

I've lived a pretty sheltered life too.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 5:23:04 PM
At 6/11/2010 5:21:51 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I know, Insert. :P

Anyways, I meant to add this link but I forgot: http://www.debate.org...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 5:26:09 PM
At 6/11/2010 5:23:04 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 6/11/2010 5:21:51 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I know, Insert. :P

Yea, like not knowing what "laid" meant in grade 9. >.<

Anyways, I meant to add this link but I forgot: http://www.debate.org...

Yea, there has been several threads on censorship. There's a few more around somewhere.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 5:29:17 PM
At 6/11/2010 5:20:46 PM, Volkov wrote:
I am a caring person. I deal carefully with things. Horror movies are not for children. It is a fact.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 5:32:43 PM
Only things that should be censored are hate speech or anything else that can potentially cause harm to a particular group of people. However, there should still be tighter restrictions to prevent violent video games and such ending up with young children.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 5:32:49 PM
At 6/11/2010 5:29:17 PM, Mirza wrote:
I am a caring person. I deal carefully with things. Horror movies are not for children. It is a fact.

That's hardly a "fact," except in the eyes of those who rate movies. Some children can handle it, some can't. I certainly could, I watched horror movies all the time when I was 8-10. It was fun.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 5:32:58 PM
At 6/11/2010 5:32:43 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Only things that should be censored are hate speech or anything else that can potentially cause harm to a particular group of people. However, there should still be tighter restrictions to prevent violent video games and such ending up with young children.

Oh, and slander too.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 5:34:59 PM
At 6/11/2010 5:32:49 PM, Volkov wrote:
That's hardly a "fact," except in the eyes of those who rate movies. Some children can handle it, some can't. I certainly could, I watched horror movies all the time when I was 8-10. It was fun.
Naming a group generally refers to the majority. Also, I do not know how aggressive you are, but you do swear etc., and maybe that is from what you used to watch being young, and still do?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 5:38:57 PM
At 6/11/2010 5:34:59 PM, Mirza wrote:
Naming a group generally refers to the majority. Also, I do not know how aggressive you are, but you do swear etc., and maybe that is from what you used to watch being young, and still do?

Of course I swear - every kid swears. The point is to know how to use it in proper contexts and situations, and learn what is acceptable and where. I know this, and I'm pretty f*cking polite, despite my tendency to watch oh-so-scary movies.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 5:41:03 PM
I watched Titanic for the first time when I was like 7 or 8 and they show bare breasts in that movie. I must be permanently corrupted. O.O
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 5:44:41 PM
At 6/11/2010 5:38:57 PM, Volkov wrote:
Of course I swear - every kid swears.
Not every.

The point is to know how to use it in proper contexts and situations, and learn what is acceptable and where.
When is telling some "go away" using the f-word polite?

I know this, and I'm pretty f*cking polite, despite my tendency to watch oh-so-scary movies.
Polite all the time? And scary movies do not necessarily make you impolite. Other kind of improper content besides violence can make you swear and whatnot.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 5:51:45 PM
Also, horror movies and such violent things should simply be outlawed for children.
By what right?

They weaken their hearts and minds totally.

Weakening totally means abolishing them. The fact that I am able to type this after having seen such a thing occasionally disproves this notion
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 5:53:29 PM
At 6/11/2010 5:44:41 PM, Mirza wrote:
Not every.

Pretty damn close.

When is telling some "go away" using the f-word polite?

I dunno,it depends - do you want to be polite at that moment? If yes, then clearly you don't.

Polite all the time? And scary movies do not necessarily make you impolite. Other kind of improper content besides violence can make you swear and whatnot.

I'm a canvasser, I have to be polite all the time.

And so what? These are human things to do - why not do them? People just need to learn how to control such things, in order to avoid it getting out of hand.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 5:58:12 PM
At 6/11/2010 5:53:29 PM, Volkov wrote:
Pretty damn close.
Still not every, thank God.

I dunno,it depends - do you want to be polite at that moment? If yes, then clearly you don't.
Can you explain what you mean by this? Which moment? And why can you not be polite if you want to?

I'm a canvasser, I have to be polite all the time.
During your job. Are you always polite?

And so what? These are human things to do - why not do them? People just need to learn how to control such things, in order to avoid it getting out of hand.
We behave mostly with accordance to what we experienced as young people. Children need to behave positively. We need a good future for every individual and a society as a whole. We can only be successful in all this by making sure that we allow what is good and disallow what is bad. Violent content is too much for children.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 6:00:10 PM
At 6/11/2010 5:51:45 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
By what right?
Protective law issuing the right. We need to avoid having a society filled with people that are affected badly by these horror movies. In America, there is a lot of things going on due to all these things that kid watch over there. They experience too much negativity.

Weakening totally means abolishing them. The fact that I am able to type this after having seen such a thing occasionally disproves this notion
I will correct myself and say not "totally," but in some senses, hearts simply become weakened. Some people are enormously afraid; just hit a little bit hard on a table and they will be frightened. Others are not like this. It can be rooted in childhood experience.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 6:03:21 PM
At 6/11/2010 6:00:10 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/11/2010 5:51:45 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
By what right?
Protective law issuing the right.
Sigh, I said RIGHT, not power.

We need to avoid having a society filled with people that are affected badly by these horror movies.
I don't know about you, I have no such needs.

In America, there is a lot of things going on due to all these things that kid watch over there. They experience too much negativity.
A lot of things like what? A bad dream?

I will correct myself and say not "totally," but in some senses, hearts simply become weakened.
Science pl0x.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 6:03:55 PM
Incidentally, it's their heart, not yours. Quit stealing it from the uses they intend for it.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 6:05:35 PM
At 6/11/2010 5:58:12 PM, Mirza wrote:
Still not every, thank God.

Lol, get a grip.

Can you explain what you mean by this? Which moment? And why can you not be polite if you want to?

Mirza, do you not know basic social conventions? There's nothing technically stopping you, except for the fact that you will not gain any of the benefits you would have if you were more polite, and would probably burden yourself with more serious consequences.

During your job. Are you always polite?

100% of the time, literally.

We behave mostly with accordance to what we experienced as young people. Children need to behave positively. We need a good future for every individual and a society as a whole. We can only be successful in all this by making sure that we allow what is good and disallow what is bad. Violent content is too much for children.

You're bad - can we disallow you?

See, your worldview is one of, bad things = always bad things. This is, ironically, a bad view. Children need to experience both positives and negatives of their actions and the actions of others if they're ever to grow. Sheltering children from everything bad means you end up with a kid that doesn't understand how to act in the face of bad things that they will come to eventually in their adult lives.

How do you expect a child who doesn't understand what a cuss even is to get a grasp of the concept when they're older? You can't control everyone, and they will encounter the situation eventually. What do you expect to happen?
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 6:12:05 PM
At 6/11/2010 6:03:21 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Sigh, I said RIGHT, not power.
And what is right to you? Something you define subjectively?

I don't know about you, I have no such needs.
Neither have I, and re-read my argument. I said that we need to avoid having such a society.

A lot of things like what? A bad dream?
Violence, other horror, etc. Easy to figure out when we speak about these things already.

Science pl0x.
http://actagainstviolence.apa.org...

There have been tons of studies.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 6:24:42 PM
At 6/11/2010 6:05:35 PM, Volkov wrote:
Mirza, do you not know basic social conventions? There's nothing technically stopping you, except for the fact that you will not gain any of the benefits you would have if you were more polite, and would probably burden yourself with more serious consequences.
Why would that happen?

100% of the time, literally.
Yes, during your job. After that, same thing?

You're bad - can we disallow you?
No, I have my own views, and so far they have not harmed a fly. Tons of studies link media violence to aggressiveness, violence, etc.

See, your worldview is one of, bad things = always bad things. This is, ironically, a bad view.
Bad things can give good results. I base this view we are talking about on actual studies.

Children need to experience both positives and negatives of their actions and the actions of others if they're ever to grow.
Which actions? All the acts of watching horror movies bring positive thoughts to them and teach them something? Do you have a minor study to support your view in any way?

Sheltering children from everything bad means you end up with a kid that doesn't understand how to act in the face of bad things that they will come to eventually in their adult lives.
What do horror movies teach them? What does the game Grand Theft Auto teach them? If they are older, and with some limits, it is more accepted. Being eight, it is not. I agree that they should learn something from tough things, but why not documentaries showing lives of drug dealers or something similar to actually make them afraid of what is bad, not being so affected by something bad that they eventually act upon it?

How do you expect a child who doesn't understand what a cuss even is to get a grasp of the concept when they're older? You can't control everyone, and they will encounter the situation eventually. What do you expect to happen?
Early education on things. You can learn a lot from child-friendly content on TV, books, etc. instead of showing them ultra-violent content or ultra-scary content. They need none of it.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 6:26:08 PM
At 6/11/2010 6:03:55 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Incidentally, it's their heart, not yours. Quit stealing it from the uses they intend for it.
If you could speak after (God forbid) anyone murdering you due to bad experiences, such as media violence, I can assure you that you would agree with me on this if I asked you about it.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 6:39:12 PM
At 6/11/2010 6:24:42 PM, Mirza wrote:
Why would that happen?

Seriously?

Yes, during your job. After that, same thing?

Yep. I might swear around my friends but so f*cking what?

Bad things can give good results. I base this view we are talking about on actual studies.

Appeal to.. what, authority? Studyism? Not-knowing-what-you-are-talking-about?

Which actions? All the acts of watching horror movies bring positive thoughts to them and teach them something?

You totally missed what I was saying, as per usual. Not a surprise.

Do you have a minor study to support your view in any way?

http://www.earlychildhoodnews.com...
http://www.cyh.com...

I've got tonnes more.

What do horror movies teach them? What does the game Grand Theft Auto teach them?

You've clearly never played GTA 4. It's a game with an amazing story behind it that factors in quite a few hefty moral decisions that children use towards their own experiences and ideas. Not to mention the odd subway massacre.

If they are older, and with some limits, it is more accepted. Being eight, it is not. I agree that they should learn something from tough things, but why not documentaries showing lives of drug dealers or something similar to actually make them afraid of what is bad, not being so affected by something bad that they eventually act upon it?

How can fictional stories and ideas not teach these same ideas to children?

Early education on things. You can learn a lot from child-friendly content on TV, books, etc. instead of showing them ultra-violent content or ultra-scary content. They need none of it.

Well, you know what Mirza, you go ahead and over-shelter your kids. I'll be the guiding hand and make sure my kids understand whats wrong and whats right and how to deal with the ideas, emotions and situations that come from this stuff. Stay out of my life, I'll certainly stay out of yours.