Jump to topic:

Lucid Dreaming

debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 6:29:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am wondering: how many of you guys lucid dream? I've been lucid dreaming for about 2 or 3 years now and I was wondering if any other ddo members have tried it.

If so,
What induction method did you use?
How many lucid dreams have you had?
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 7:26:15 PM
At 1/7/2015 6:29:55 PM, debatability wrote:
I am wondering: how many of you guys lucid dream? I've been lucid dreaming for about 2 or 3 years now and I was wondering if any other ddo members have tried it.

If so,

The concept seems fascinating, but I could never get it to happen at will. What's the method you found best for lucid dreaming?
Senpai has noticed you.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 7:39:04 PM
At 1/7/2015 7:26:15 PM, Beginner wrote:

If so,

The concept seems fascinating, but I could never get it to happen at will. What's the method you found best for lucid dreaming?

It's definitely hard to get it to happen at will. The most popular two methods are the mild (mnemonic induced lucid dreaming) and the wild (wake induced lucid dreaming) methods.
The mild method involves learning how to do reality checks... once these reality checks become a habit, you'll start doing them in your dreams and realize you're dreaming.
The wild method involves inducing lucid dreaming by going directly from a waking state to rem sleep without losing consciousness. This can be done directly (by going performing the wild method directly as one goes to sleep) or indirectly (by waking up 6 hours after going to sleep initially). The latter is easier.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 7:40:32 PM
At 1/7/2015 7:39:04 PM, debatability wrote:

If so,

It's definitely hard to get it to happen at will. The most popular two methods are the mild (mnemonic induced lucid dreaming) and the wild (wake induced lucid dreaming) methods.
The mild method involves learning how to do reality checks... once these reality checks become a habit, you'll start doing them in your dreams and realize you're dreaming.
The wild method involves inducing lucid dreaming by going directly from a waking state to rem sleep without losing consciousness. This can be done directly (by going performing the wild method directly as one goes to sleep) or indirectly (by waking up 6 hours after going to sleep initially). The latter is easier.

So basically, wild is falling asleep without losing consciousness?
Making reality checks a habit is going to take time. *-*
Senpai has noticed you.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 7:44:29 PM
At 1/7/2015 7:40:32 PM, Beginner wrote:
At 1/7/2015 7:39:04 PM, debatability wrote:

If so,

So basically, wild is falling asleep without losing consciousness?

yes.

Making reality checks a habit is going to take time. *-*

not necessarily. i have an app that tells me to do reality checks like every 3 hours or so and it became a habit pretty quickly. there are some really easy reality checks you can try; like, in a dream you'll be able to breath with your nose pinched shut and your mouth closed... so that's usually the reality check I use.

There are a lot of methods that stem off of the mild and the wild that you can try once you master one of teh two.

I will note, dream recall is incredibly important. You are just as likely to forget a lucid dream as you are to forget a normal one so working on remembering your dreams is necessary for lucid dreaming to have any value.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 7:48:52 PM

If so,

Does sleep paralysis count?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 7:52:44 PM
At 1/7/2015 7:48:52 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

If so,

well; sleep paralysis is a combination of rem and consciousness of the waking world. I've read books that group sleep paralysis into the same phenomenon as lucid dreaming.

Essentially, with sleep paralysis, you're "half way there" because it's super easy to slip into a lucid dream directly from sleep paralysis.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 7:53:31 PM
At 1/7/2015 7:52:44 PM, debatability wrote:

If so,

well; sleep paralysis is a combination of rem and consciousness of the waking world. I've read books that group sleep paralysis into the same phenomenon as lucid dreaming.

Essentially, with sleep paralysis, you're "half way there" because it's super easy to slip into a lucid dream directly from sleep paralysis.

Because it's definitely not as enjoyable as lucidly dreaming.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 7:57:45 PM
At 1/7/2015 7:53:31 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

If so,

Sleep paralysis isn't enjoyable at all for most people; it's generally found unpleasant, and some people can have hallucinations that are quite scary while paralysed. I like it when i get sleep paralysis and actually try to induce it because it helps with becoming lucid in a dream... but I wouldn't exactly call it pleasant.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 7:58:40 PM
At 1/7/2015 7:57:45 PM, debatability wrote:

If so,

Sleep paralysis isn't enjoyable at all for most people; it's generally found unpleasant, and some people can have hallucinations that are quite scary while paralysed. I like it when i get sleep paralysis and actually try to induce it because it helps with becoming lucid in a dream... but I wouldn't exactly call it pleasant.

I fail on that latter part and don't try to induce it.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 8:00:32 PM
At 1/7/2015 7:58:40 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

If so,

There are a multitude of other ways to achieve lucidity, so I wouldn't worry. Also, sleep paralysis occurs naturally for many people.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 8:01:34 PM
At 1/7/2015 8:00:32 PM, debatability wrote:

If so,

There are a multitude of other ways to achieve lucidity, so I wouldn't worry. Also, sleep paralysis occurs naturally for many people.

I am one of those "many people", and not one time have I found it enjoyable.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 8:02:34 PM
At 1/7/2015 8:01:34 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 1/7/2015 8:00:32 PM, debatability wrote:

If so,

I am one of those "many people", and not one time have I found it enjoyable.

I don't think it's enjoyable for anyone XD
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 8:16:15 PM
I just had about 5 hours of lucid dreams, waking up numerous times between them (the different scenarios). :3

It's to tap into a different sort of being, a sort of self-hypnosis. Like, if I were to say "only smart people will hear music in their dreams," some of your subconciousnesses might facilitate that, or perhaps take up arms against it, and you would hear music. Or if I were in some arena I might say "the spiritual might feel a slight lift in their chest/lightness in their arms now" (which is a good one, because of breathing), and those who would want to be spiritual, to have that mean something, would simply allow themselves to be spiritual, allow it to have meaning, only at the cost of this deft manipulator hypnotising them.......Really, it's one part of the mind hoodwinking another; because, for the most part, you are purely operational (we often destroy memories on ourselves too - some part of you says 'no, this part needn't know about that', or 'this part needn't know about that for the time being'...). It's fascinating, really.

I don't know how I did it, to be honest .....Well, I do. It was one part that recent thread, one part something else which I don't really want to mention lol. I stand by my claim that it's not conducive to actual sleep though.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 8:18:15 PM
At 1/7/2015 8:16:15 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I just had about 5 hours of lucid dreams, waking up numerous times between them (the different scenarios). :3

It's to tap into a different sort of being, a sort of self-hypnosis. Like, if I were to say "only smart people will hear music in their dreams," some of your subconciousnesses might facilitate that, or perhaps take up arms against it, and you would hear music. Or if I were in some arena I might say "the spiritual might feel a slight lift in their chest/lightness in their arms now" (which is a good one, because of breathing), and those who would want to be spiritual, to have that mean something, would simply allow themselves to be spiritual, allow it to have meaning, only at the cost of this deft manipulator hypnotising them.......Really, it's one part of the mind hoodwinking another; because, for the most part, you are purely operational (we often destroy memories on ourselves too - some part of you says 'no, this part needn't know about that', or 'this part needn't know about that for the time being'...). It's fascinating, really.

I don't know how I did it, to be honest .....Well, I do. It was one part that recent thread, one part something else which I don't really want to mention lol. I stand by my claim that it's not conducive to actual sleep though.

F*ck it, I'll say it...... I performed a mental exorcism on myself, lol.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 8:22:41 PM
The wild method sounds exactly like putting yourself into a hypnagogic state. I'm not sure those are real sleep. :P
BLAHthedebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 8:36:24 PM

If so,

I have started training just yesterday. I'm using MILD technique. I've had about ten in my LIFE, at the most.

Even with MILD it's so hard to do... Apparently you're supposed to be good at remembering your dreams, and then you're supposed to meditate daily, and on top of that, your last thought HAS to be about lucid dreaming just to keep your mind awake as your body falls asleep.

How do people do it...?
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas...
Is...
Youuuuuu
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 8:44:25 PM
You know what's actual the most interesting part of unconscious action? Its anticipatory genius - like, how you'll often wake up just before your alarm clock goes off, for example; only it can get so much more fun than that. It shows itself when re-watching movies/TV shows or re-reading books too.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 9:36:52 PM

Usually perception of time is warped in dreams; 15 minutes could seem like an hour... If you somehow did manage to stay lucid for five hours and remember it all though, I applaud you because that's definitely not something I can do.

Yeah hild (hypnosis induced lucid dreaming) is super interesting. I've never tried it because I never felt the need, but I have looked into it. Some people will continually write something down like "When I fall asleep tonight I will remember I am dreaming" and it happens because you're training your subconcious to remember to become lucid.

Have you ever tried sleep hypnosis? There are some hypnosis tapes that induce lucid dreaming; I have tried that form of hild before and been successful.

Eh, I'm not really sure about that. I feel well rested after a night of lucid dreaming, but obviously more parts of the brain are active when someone becomes lucid.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 9:38:26 PM
At 1/7/2015 8:36:24 PM, BLAHthedebator wrote:

If so,

I have started training just yesterday. I'm using MILD technique. I've had about ten in my LIFE, at the most.

Even with MILD it's so hard to do... Apparently you're supposed to be good at remembering your dreams, and then you're supposed to meditate daily, and on top of that, your last thought HAS to be about lucid dreaming just to keep your mind awake as your body falls asleep.

How do people do it...?

I think you're misunderstanding the mild method. You don't have to meditate daily? and keeping your mind awake as the body falls asleep is the wild method.

There's an ebook called the phase which I would highly recommend if you're looking for fast results. I can give you the link if you wish :)
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 9:42:08 PM
At 1/7/2015 9:36:52 PM, debatability wrote:

Usually perception of time is warped in dreams; 15 minutes could seem like an hour... If you somehow did manage to stay lucid for five hours and remember it all though, I applaud you because that's definitely not something I can do.

No, it was warped, but it was a solid 5 hours, placing me in about 5 different scenarios, each separated by, like, a few minutes of wakefulness to acknowledge the dreams.

Yeah hild (hypnosis induced lucid dreaming) is super interesting. I've never tried it because I never felt the need, but I have looked into it. Some people will continually write something down like "When I fall asleep tonight I will remember I am dreaming" and it happens because you're training your subconcious to remember to become lucid.

That's what I did tonight, only with less effort, lol.

Have you ever tried sleep hypnosis? There are some hypnosis tapes that induce lucid dreaming; I have tried that form of hild before and been successful.

Eh, I'm not really sure about that. I feel well rested after a night of lucid dreaming, but obviously more parts of the brain are active when someone becomes lucid.

Nor am I sure about it, to be honest. It does seem half-reasonable to me that it's primarily the consciousness that sleeps, though.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 9:44:42 PM
I do a lot of cool things with my dreams, to be honest. They are super interesting. My dreams have punchlines sometimes too, lol.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 9:44:53 PM
At 1/7/2015 9:42:08 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

No, it was warped, but it was a solid 5 hours, placing me in about 5 different scenarios, each separated by, like, a few minutes of wakefulness to acknowledge the dreams.

Yeah; that will generally happen with a lot of methods; dreams being seperated by quick moments of wakefullness. Though, you may have been experiencing false awakenings.

That's what I did tonight, only with less effort, lol.

Nor am I sure about it, to be honest. It does seem half-reasonable to me that it's primarily the consciousness that sleeps, though.

I'd like to research that; i know that they've done brain mapping for lucid dreams vs regular dreams and found a difference but i'm not sure if that affects the quality of the sleep.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 9:46:33 PM
At 1/7/2015 9:44:53 PM, debatability wrote:
At 1/7/2015 9:42:08 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Yeah; that will generally happen with a lot of methods; dreams being seperated by quick moments of wakefullness. Though, you may have been experiencing false awakenings.

lol, maybe. Dreams are fun, aren't they? :)
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 9:56:18 PM
At 1/7/2015 9:48:32 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Well, maybe it wasn't a solid 5 hours, but you know... I had 5 really crazy dreams.

probably the latter. the likelihood that you stayed lucid for 5 hours is quite low
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 9:57:19 PM
At 1/7/2015 9:56:18 PM, debatability wrote:
Well, maybe it wasn't a solid 5 hours, but you know... I had 5 really crazy dreams.

probably the latter. the likelihood that you stayed lucid for 5 hours is quite low

Why do you have to belittle my dreams? :(
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 10:00:11 PM
At 1/7/2015 9:57:19 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

don't see it as belittling
i'm just a realist
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 10:01:56 PM
At 1/7/2015 10:00:11 PM, debatability wrote:
At 1/7/2015 9:57:19 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

don't see it as belittling
i'm just a realist

I was only joking. :3