Jump to topic:

Turning The Tides - - - Chapter One

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 9:02:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The sun cracked its lazy head over the horizon of Camp Half-Blood, slowly, but surely, bathing the camp grounds in the morning light, darkness slowly lifting in place of the dawn. And even as the teenage campers expressed their raving interest in watching the magnificent, artistic, light theatrics of the morning sky by sleeping in, the world around them began to awaken. Birds, awaking from their nightly slumber, began the morning calls to the rest of the world. The crickets added their chirping to the morning chorus, and the wildlife around the camp started to shake off the drowsiness. A ladybug arose from its slumber, spreading open it"s red-and-black wings in a proud greeting to the day"

"before promptly being squished by a boot from a jogging camper, who"s warm-up routine was already well-underway.

EndarkenedRationalist followed the forest trail out of the woods and back onto the main campground, finishing up his morning warm-up routine before arms training. He kept jogging, not breaking stride until the Arena was in sight, only then breaking out into a full sprint until the doors were within reach.

The Arena itself was a smaller version of a typical Greek amphitheater, a circular stadium with rows of seats surrounding a large, open field for people to use as they wish. The campers had used the arena to host everything from one-on-one sparring tournaments to pick-up baseball games, but in the times where it wasn"t scheduled for anything specific, campers could use it for general training. Rows of equipment rested against the edge of the clearing, from swords and lances to various sizes and types of armor and equipment, and coolers of water and liquid ambrosia to help keep the training campers healthy, hydrated, and not dead. Rows of training dummies were lined up, none currently in use due to how early in the day it was, as well as areas spaced out away from any equipment or training dummies for campers to spar in.

Endarkened walked over to the equipment, his hand brushing over the various pommels and shafts. His mind and memory raced, imagining the different fighting styles and techniques used in each individual blade, in each individual lance. He could recall all the monsters he"d hunted with a blade, all the fights he"d won with the superior reach of a lance. The blood of the God of Battle, the blood of Ares, meant he was capable of some spectacular fights, and he certainly had the scars to prove them. But it wasn"t his job to collect scars, rather to give other people scars, and to do that he needed to constantly train.

Endarkened lifted a longsword from the weapon rack, giving it a few experimental swings to test the weight and balance of the blade. He had his own sword that he had custom-forged for his own fighting style and preference, but he usually never brought it with him to train: his baby should reap nothing but the blood of his enemies. Satisfied with the balance of the training sword, he walked over to one of the training dummies before drawing the sword again, setting himself into a balanced fighting stance before beginning the training routine.

To anyone watching, it would appear to just be him repeating the same three strokes over and over and over again. And, if pressed about it, Endark would have to agree with them. But muscle memory is everything in the middle of a fight. Being a demigod naturally gives one some pretty sweet combat reflexes, and Endark could only guess at how many times they had saved his skin. But when those fail, all you have left is the amount of time you"ve put into just reflexively going through combination after combination of attacks and defenses. The more often you repeat it in practice, the less likely you are to mess it up when it comes down to life or death. So there Endark sat, with the same series of overhand swing, followed up by a roundabout swing, followed by a chest-high thrust, for a solid ten minutes, memorizing how his muscles felt in each swing, each rotation, each reset.

"Your left elbow is too low. Someone could easily slip a spear or a sword above your guard and hit your off shoulder or go for a neck-blow, presuming you have a shield on your off-hand."

The sudden criticisms made Endarkened pause mid-rotation before he laughed a little and relaxing his stance. "I didn"t even hear you come up. How long have you been watching me, Airmax?" Endarkened asked, sheathing the blade into the scabbard that rested on his hip.

"I"m surprised by that, actually. Usually the clopping of hooves gives away my presence rather quickly." Airmax joked. Airmax was unique in that he was one of the few non-human beings that resided in the camp. Not only was he the camp"s only centaur, a half-human half-horse mixture, but he was one of the only rational, non-aggressive centaurs in existence. Most centaurs were extremely territorial, blindly aggressive to outsiders, and resided in the open plains of Kansas and Nebraska, where they disguised themselves as rednecks and hillbillies.

Endarkened just shrugged off the joke, seemingly not too interested in Airmax"s attempt at humor. "Let"s be honest, wouldn"t your time be better spent tutoring other students on their fighting stances? I"m arguably the best fighter in the camp."

Airmax laughed a hearty laugh, much as a grandfather would laugh at the antics of a grandson. "Don"t let pride cloud your judgment. You will eventually come across a foe who matches you in capabilities, perhaps even surpasses your own. You need to be able to recognize a superior opponent and re-evaluate the situation, rather than blindly charge head-on into defeat. As for tutoring someone else"" Airmax started to explain, letting the second part draw on as he gestured around in the very, very, very empty amphitheater. "Who else is there to mentor at the moment?"

"Me for one." Came a third voice, catching both Airmax and Endarkened off-guard as Blade-of-Truth entered the arena with them. "And Endarkened, your whole "I"m the best fighter in the camp" monologue is complete and utter bull. Pick a time, place, and weapons and I"ll kick your butt every time."

Endarkened just laughed at the boasting of his half-brother, while Airmax just shook his head, resting his forehead in the palm of his hand. The rivalry between the two most skilled fighters in the camp was a common display for the rest of the campers, and duels between the two of them had rather large, and technically illegal, betting rings around who would win. "Yeah, and the last three times I took you up on that offer, I kicked your a**." Endark bragged, making Airmax facepalm further.

"Why don"t the two of you just duel here? No crowds, no restrictions other than don"t kill each other, and pick your own weapons. Decide it right here who"s better." Airmax offered before the dick-measuring contest could go on any further. Both of them paused, seeming to consider it. They both looked at each other, seemingly communicating the terms of the duel without saying a word. Minutes passed with them just looking at each other. Finally, Blade broke the silence:

"If you pick a spear into my sword you"re a p*ssy."

"If you use your stupid two-sword bullsh*t I get to use a shield."

"That"s fine, it won"t help you at all."

"Guess you"re about to find out how wrong you are."

Airmax could only silently chuckle to himself as the two settled the terms of their duel in taunts and jeers; kids would be kids, he supposed.

-----==-----
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 9:04:33 PM
Light spattered through the windows of the Aphrodite cabin, slowly sprinkling the sleeping campers with rays of sunshine. Slowly but surely, the campers began to awaken, silently complaining in whiny, entitled voices about how Apollo would rue the day he ruined their beauty sleep, or about how they were having such a romantic dream before it got ruined by the sun, before going off to begin their morning rituals and to prepare for the day.

Cermank, on the other hand, slapped a pillow of her eyes, shielding her sight from the blinding light of the morning, before promptly rolling over and going back to sleep. She had stayed up far too late talking with Thett, playing in the cold lake water in the moonlight. Not to say that it was something that she regretted doing"she actually enjoyed spending the time with ol" Seaweed Face"but the life of a demigod mandated waking up earlier than she considered a reasonable hour to do one of her least favorite things ever: physical exercise.

Cermank groaned. She knew she had to do this, but she absolutely detested it. Slowly, but surely, she managed to pull herself out of the tangle of sheets that she called a bed. Her usual morning routine would be to take a shower before going to the various academic classes offered in camp (most of them involved how not to have an agonizingly painful death in some form or fashion), but today was her day for exercise, as much as she detested it. So the shower could wait: first she went running.

Finally, after five minutes seemed to have spanned five eternities, Cermank emerged from the Aphrodite cabin, in full jogging gear and trendy sports shoes, her sandy blonde hair hanging down in a loose ponytail.

Since most of the campers had already migrated toward the dining pavilion for breakfast, the majority of the actual campground was clear and open, which let Cermank"s mind wander without fear of actually running into anyone. Her classes were the first thing that she thought about: the homework she needed to get done, the tests that were coming up soon that she needed to study for. But, like all times her mind wandered toward Thett. Could anyone really blame her, though? He had such a handsome face, the way that his hair just fell down off and touched at the tops of his eyes. He was always so full of happiness and laughter around others, but you could tell in his eyes that there was always something else going on in his mind. She wanted to just constantly hug him, to comfort him and take away the pain that he felt. Maybe one day she"d get the confidence to--

Thud!

Before Cermank could even realize what was happening, she found herself planted on her butt after running into something. It took her a few seconds to rub the back of her head, half in pain from hitting the ground, half in embarrassment from running into something like an idiot. Then she noticed the hand in front of her face, offering her a helping hand up.

"Come on, no use of you being down there. You alright there, beauty queen?"

Cermank blushed as Mikal was standing over her, offering a hand to help her up, with Thett standing behind him, obviously trying his hardest not to burst out in hysterical laughter. All she wanted to do was hide her face in her hands and just not acknowledge the rest of the world until her raging shame and embarrassment went away. Instead, she laughed a little, a futile attempt to hide the awkwardness, before taking Mikal"s hand and using it to stand up. "Thanks. And sorry, wasn"t really paying attention to where I was walking."

Mikal just shrugged. "It"s fine, we were kind of standing in the middle of the path anyway. Anyway, apparently Endarkened and Blade are squaring off in a duel right now and there"s a lot of people watching. Right?" Mikal asked, looking over to Thett. Thett was oblivious to the conversation going on, his eyes looking off into the distance. Cermank frowned slightly, not sure as to what was going through his mind right now. She wanted to ask if there was something bothering him, if he was okay, but she held her tongue.

Thett looked around when Mikal mentioned his name, his mind clearly being pulled from his thoughts. "Huh? Oh, right. Yeah apparently Airmax just told the two of them to stop fighting with each other and actually fight to see which one of them was better. It supposedly started an hour ago and they"re still going at it."

Cermank just rolled her eyes. She should"ve figured those two would eventually just get into it one of these days, but now that it was happening she wasn"t quite sure how to respond to it. Mikal just shook his head, as unsure how to respond to Thett"s absent-mindedness as Cermank was. "Anyway, we were going to go watch before one of them finally knocked all sense out of the other. Want to come join us?"

Cermank thought about it for a while before nodding. "That sounds okay. Gives me an excuse to not have to work out, if anything."

Thett just laughed at her as the trio started walking down the path toward the Arena. "I thought not ever exercising was a part of being a kid of Aphrodite. I never realized you even worked out in the first place!"

Cermank was about to retort with one of her usual "neener neener, fish face" retorts, but Mikal responded first. "Actually, exercise is one of the best ways to improve one"s physique. Not to mention the profound other effects that exercise can do for the human--"

Thett and Cermank started laughing before Mikal could finish his rant. Mikal eyed the two of them with a confused look on his face, but they both knew what the joke was. "Kids of Athena," thett started to clarify. "Almost as bad as Hephaestus at getting jokes."

Mikal laughed a little at himself, more of a "haw haw haw, so funny picking on the nerdy kid" laugh, before three of them continued down the road to the Arena.

-----==-----
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 9:06:55 PM
Everything was ready. She just had to stop worrying about it all and just go.

But for some reason, Esocialbookwork couldn"t quite figure out why she was nervous about things. All of the demititans who had reported that they could be present in time for the invasion were presesnt and accounted for, all awaiting the order to attack. All of the monsters at their disposal from their patron lord were accounted for. Her dear, dear, ever-so-dearly beloved boyfriend, imabench, had shown up in his usual, disorderly fashion, demanding royal treatment and tons of salsa to coat all of his food in. "At least he brought all of the monsters he commanded, so there"s a point to all of this" Annie thought to herself bitterly. Sure she understood the necessity of dating a cyclops, especially considering he was far more rational than the average cyclops (half the stupidity with all the same bad smelling clothing that you"ve come to know and love) and commanded far more power among monsters, but did she really have to act like she liked him?

"Sitting alone on the dawn of the invasion? Some might consider it an ill omen that the commander is unsure of herself."

Esocial didn"t react to bladerunner060 appearing behind her. Her second-in-command had a habit of appearing anytime where she was too deep in thought. It was like he could just read her mind! "You should know better than most that I can"t keep the cold, calculated commander face on forever. Especially not with that thing trying to ask me if I...if I want to"" She couldn"t finish the sentence. Doing that?! With a cyclops?! She didn"t want to think about it. "Who"s idea was that anyway?"

Bladerunner just laughed, more amused than actually humored. "Yours, I believe. Ingenious, really, but I could understand how it could be taxing. The alliance is only necessary until the gods have been disposed of. Of course after we win the war it could get complicated once he inevitably asks for a reward, especially if he asks for...well...you."

Esocial had to physically attempt to not gag. "Gods, don"t put that thought in my head. Or his for that matter. Couldn"t we just schedule an "accident" for him somewhere down the road?"

Instantly she felt guilty about contemplating the murder of an ally of hers, however repulsive the ally was. Even if imabench was a cyclops, and smelled funny, and was rude and undisciplined and made her want to vomit, that didn"t give her the right to want to have him killed.

That, of course, made her think about the war she was waging: was her distaste in ordering imabench"s death hypocritical with how she was ordering the death of hundreds of half-bloods who haven"t done the slightest thing to harm her? She shook her head, trying to keep doubt from creeping into her mind: it was necessary to weaken the power of the Gods and to make their eventual assault on Mount Olympus easier. She would be doing her best to take captive as many as she could to keep the death toll to a minimum. The Gods were the ones whom she had a problem with, not their kids.

At least, that"s what she told herself.

Whenever she thought about killing demigods, all she could think about was RevNge. Would a demigod hesitate to kill her thirteen year old brother? What right did she have to do the same thing? Could she really just react in self-defense if someone her brother"s age tried to attack her?

A disturbingly cold laugh from bladerunner awoke her from her thoughts. "Wow, I never thought you were that cold. It"s usually me thinking of the plots in that vein of thought. I suppose we could arrange for him to meet a grisly fate at the hands of some demigods, given--"

"Forget I asked. If we start betraying our allies who we"ve promised support, we"re not better than the Gods we"re waging war against." Annie stated firmly before bladerunner could keep going on with the treasonous talk. bladerunner opened his mouth to say something in response, but shut it quickly.

"Very well. Our troops are prepared to move out on your word. Everything is in place to begin the assault of Camp Half-Blood. All we need is your word to begin the assault, and the destruction of the Gods will begin."

Annie swallowed the lump that was forming in her throat, calming her nerves for the battle that was to come. The blood of hundreds, if not thousands, of demigods would be on her hands with three simple letters, one small word. Could she really live with herself if she did that?

"Yes. Tell the troops to march. The assault begins now."

-----==-----
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 9:08:12 PM
I just want to give a big shout-out to EndarkenedRationalist, who's been a massive help with character creation and checking over the episodes before I post them. <3
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 8:01:20 PM
I loved it. I was really giddy when you said Kansas.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 4:02:03 AM
At 1/13/2015 9:06:55 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Her dear, dear, ever-so-dearly beloved boyfriend, imabench, had shown up in his usual, disorderly fashion, demanding royal treatment and tons of salsa to coat all of his food in.
WHAT. WHAT. WHAAAT. 0.0
(Can I kill my boyfriend?! :D)

"At least he brought all of the monsters he commanded, so there"s a point to all of this" Annie thought to herself bitterly. Sure she understood the necessity of dating a cyclops, especially considering he was far more rational than the average cyclops (half the stupidity with all the same bad smelling clothing that you"ve come to know and love) and commanded far more power among monsters, but did she really have to act like she liked him?
Oh okay. I'm using him. That's... something... :/ whelps...

I just wanted to say- I usually read the whole thing, and then comment, but I had to pause and comment on this.

I just want to give a big shout-out to EndarkenedRationalist, who's been a massive help with character creation and checking over the episodes before I post them. <3
Grr. D:<
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 4:10:10 AM
At 1/15/2015 4:02:03 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Her dear, dear, ever-so-dearly beloved boyfriend, imabench, had shown up in his usual, disorderly fashion, demanding royal treatment and tons of salsa to coat all of his food in.
WHAT. WHAT. WHAAAT. 0.0

I told you :P

#r00d
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 4:11:07 AM
At 1/15/2015 4:10:10 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 1/15/2015 4:02:03 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
WHAT. WHAT. WHAAAT. 0.0

I told you :P
The last person on my mind was Bench... 0.0

#r00d

#tilldeathdousapart
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 4:22:42 AM
will read the rest and comment l8r

off to skewl :P
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 8:42:33 AM
At 1/13/2015 9:02:37 PM, Zaradi wrote:

moar

this was awesome! :D

the bench esocial dynamic would be- um, interesting :P

the war though. things are getting serious D:
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 8:58:05 AM
At 1/27/2015 8:42:33 AM, Cermank wrote:

moar

I'm working as fast as I can T_T the next chapter is at 15k characters and about halfway done.

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 9:49:38 AM
At 1/27/2015 8:58:05 AM, Zaradi wrote:

moar

I'm working as fast as I can T_T the next chapter is at 15k characters and about halfway done.

the bigger the better.

love fanfics with loads of details and character development

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 9:51:03 AM
At 1/13/2015 9:08:12 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Anything for you, bae <3

Loved the episode! I'll say a bit more when I'm not in class.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 9:55:35 AM
At 1/27/2015 9:49:38 AM, Cermank wrote:

moar

the bigger the better.

Well, there will certainly be a lot of that. At least I hope there's a lot of it, especially since I'm taking an eternity to get it done xDD
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 10:03:31 AM
At 1/27/2015 9:55:35 AM, Zaradi wrote:

moar

the bigger the better.

Well, there will certainly be a lot of that. At least I hope there's a lot of it, especially since I'm taking an eternity to get it done xDD

I know dat feel bruh
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 10:10:54 AM

moar

the bigger the better.

Glad you love OUAD :-)

RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 10:13:35 AM
At 1/27/2015 10:10:54 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

moar

the bigger the better.

lol
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 10:14:07 AM
Endark is still epic, Cermank fell down and it was funny, and I am more happy than I should be that Imabench is a Cyclops. This story has all the right promises. Deliver, Zaradi.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 10:14:39 AM

moar

Wait...what? Only 15k?

YOU WANNA FVCKING DIE BRUH D:<

What is it with everyone writing shorter chapters nowadays, though? >.>
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 10:14:46 AM
At 1/27/2015 10:13:35 AM, RevNge wrote:

moar

the bigger the better.

lol

U deni mah karaktor development, brah?
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 10:17:21 AM
At 1/27/2015 10:14:39 AM, RevNge wrote:

moar

Wait...what? Only 15k?

Read the bold.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 10:18:03 AM
At 1/27/2015 10:14:46 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

moar

the bigger the better.

lol

Nah bruh u jus a 10shun hoh
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 10:18:44 AM
At 1/27/2015 10:14:07 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Endark is still epic, Cermank fell down and it was funny, and I am more happy than I should be that Imabench is a Cyclops. This story has all the right promises. Deliver, Zaradi.

The golden, unspoken truth of Reddit and, thus, of all the internet: OP never delivers T_T
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 10:19:39 AM
At 1/27/2015 10:17:21 AM, Zaradi wrote:

moar

Wait...what? Only 15k?

Read the bold.

30k is good. :P

I just assumed the worst because most people write shortass chapters. T_T
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 10:20:56 AM
At 1/27/2015 10:19:39 AM, RevNge wrote:
At 1/27/2015 10:17:21 AM, Zaradi wrote:

moar

Wait...what? Only 15k?

Read the bold.

30k is good. :P

I just assumed the worst because most people write shortass chapters. T_T

Oh no. I still have one scene to finish up on, and then another scene to write fully. I'm expecting around 23-25k, but it depends on how much I end up writing for the last scene.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 10:21:02 AM
At 1/27/2015 10:18:03 AM, RevNge wrote:

moar

the bigger the better.

lol

U gun go m8. I is fanfik lord. U kin b mah ho.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 10:21:48 AM
At 1/27/2015 10:18:44 AM, Zaradi wrote:

The golden, unspoken truth of Reddit and, thus, of all the internet: OP never delivers T_T

He does if he values his well-being.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 10:23:06 AM
At 1/27/2015 10:21:48 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/27/2015 10:18:44 AM, Zaradi wrote:

He does if he values his well-being.

*gulp*
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 10:32:57 AM
At 1/27/2015 10:21:02 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/27/2015 10:18:03 AM, RevNge wrote:

moar

the bigger the better.

lol

U gun go m8. I is fanfik lord. U kin b mah ho.

M8 dun h8 k I a8 gonuh tak yo shizzle