NEW FANFIC: DDO Divergent: Episode 1

BLAHthedebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 7:11:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am Annie.

I suddenly realize that I am sitting in a crooked wooden chair, in front of a small cracked mirror hanging inside a sliding closet. I crane my neck and look around, and all I can glance at is a mattress between two uneven bedside tables and chipped walls, before I feel a sharp twinge of pain and jerk away.

"ANNIE! Face front!"

Instinctively, I face the cracked mirror. Between the shattered edges I start to piece
together a familiar face, a close person snipping off my hair.

My mother. Marie.

I think about the beauty of that name, how it once sounded so familiar and became unique and strange as time went by. I will always remember that name.

Then again, my name is the best in the world.

"That"s about done."

My mother steps up to the mirror and slides the closet door closed. She only gets about halfway when-

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WAIT!!!!!! OPEN THE CLOSET!"

I shove her hand out of the way, open the closet and find myself staring at the mirror once again.

"It" it needs more cutting. OH MY GOD IT NEEDS MORE CUTTING! THE WORLD IS DOOMED! NOT EVEN BETTER HAIR CAN SAVE IT!"

My mother stares at me in shock. Pressed against the wall like a sticker. She walks up to me slowly, with more confidence. That is when I see the horror of my life.

"OH FOR GOODNESS SAKE ANNIE. YOU ARE AN ABNEGATION GIRL GOING TO AN APTITUDE TEST, NOT AN AMITY GIRL AT A WEDDING."

I do my best to forget that scolding as I slip out the door, my mother behind me.

At least my name sounds like Amity.

I go downstairs and notice 9space and my dad, Zaradi. I eat plain rice quietly, ignoring the plain bland taste in my mouth. In Abnegation, it is rude to discuss anything at the dinner table.

That must mean my parents are being rude today.

"UGH. The Erudite paper. Says here Airmax ran away from his dad, 16kadams, because he committed child abuse."

"HIM? He"s our closest partner leading Abnegation. He couldn"t have done such a thing!"

"That"s why I"m disgusted, idiot. Use your brain."

"Excuse me, who solved your entire sudoku that you were trying to work on ever since two years ago?"

"THAT DOESN"T COUNT. NOW SHUT UP AND BE SMARTER."

9space and I are startled by the conversation and try hard to look away and ignore the argument. This is SOOOOOOOO religion forum.

"WHY ARE YOU BEING SUCH A CRUEL, EVIL HUSBAND? ALL I DID WAS AGREE WITH YOU AND YOU START TO SCREAM AT ME?! REMEMBER THAT TIME WHEN YOU THREW A DISH AT ME FOR READING A BEDTIME STORY TO THE KIDS?!"

"SHUT UP YOU ***. I AM ALWAYS RIGHT AND YOU ARE ALWAYS WRONG, SO **** YOU."

I wince. 9space squeezes me.

They both stare at us, then give a look of realization and guilt. My mother smiles and tears up emotionally.

"I"m s-orr-y. I *gasp* j-us-t d-don"t *gasp* feel a-s nor-mal wh-en you"re going t-t-o live a-wa-y *gasp* fr-om u-us *gasp* for s-so ma-n-y m-mon-ths *gasp*."

"Mom, I"m not going to leave you forever. You would never."

I hug her like a teddy bear. Then I hug my father, and 9space hugs our parents as he dries his tears with his shirt sleeve.

"It is time," my father says.

"Bye!" I say with 9space simultaneously.

And in seconds, our house was out of sight. Unfortunately, I was still bothered with the question:

WHO DO I BELONG TO?
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas...
Is...
Youuuuuu