Jump to topic:

The Hollywood Formula

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 2:50:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It seems like 95% of the major Hollywood movies feature a love-story element.

Is it just me or can others see this as well?

Additionally, why is that? I mean, it can be comedy/drama/horror/etc., and they'll still feature some kind of love-story in it.

Bonus question:
Can you recommend any great movies that DON'T have a love-story thrown in it?
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 4:59:07 PM
At 1/24/2015 2:55:37 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
A Clockwork Orange.

Great film!
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 5:52:06 PM
Twilight. I checked and there definitely was no love story in that.

Seriously though, Terminator 2 comes to mind. The Pursuit of Happyness [sic] starts off with a divorcing couple, but that's about it. They're both very good.

You're right about love stories being so prevalent. It makes sense in that they play into so many common story archytypes and profitable tropes.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 7:51:47 PM
At 1/24/2015 5:52:06 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Seriously though, Terminator 2 comes to mind. The Pursuit of Happyness [sic] starts off with a divorcing couple, but that's about it. They're both very good.

You're right about love stories being so prevalent. It makes sense in that they play into so many common story archytypes and profitable tropes.

T2 remains my favorite movie ever.
0x5f3759df
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 8:00:16 PM
At 1/24/2015 2:50:11 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Additionally, why is that? I mean, it can be comedy/drama/horror/etc., and they'll still feature some kind of love-story in it.

Bonus question:

The Thing 1982
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
BLAHthedebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 8:16:26 PM

Bonus question:

The Blair Witch Project. That was creepy.
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas...
Is...
Youuuuuu
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 8:24:37 PM
At 1/24/2015 7:51:47 PM, Bullish wrote:

T2 remains my favorite movie ever.

That's definitely my favorite action movie. It's the kind of thing you can pick up and watch today with no issue.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 8:42:20 PM

Lmao! #TeamEdward

I've never seen the Terminator series before but have always been curious to watch it in full. I'll check it out now that its come recommended. I've heard pretty good things about The Pursuit of Happyness, I was just worried it'd be a little too emotional for my taste, but I'll check it out too. Thanks for the suggestions!

Yeah, I've basically come to the conclusion that it's because love sells. They can toss in a little action, perhaps a sex scene, or some blood for the guys - and a love story for the girls. I don't think that applies to everyone, by any means, but it's just something I've noticed alot lately. I won't lie though, the love story in The Notebook was pretty amazing.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 8:44:26 PM
At 1/24/2015 8:00:16 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Bonus question:

The Thing 1982

I've heard of that film before, but always steered clear because the title sounded too cheesy. I'm honestly surprised to see the generally high ratings its received though, so I'll def check it out now that it's been recommended. Thanks for the suggestion!
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 8:46:34 PM
At 1/24/2015 8:16:26 PM, BLAHthedebator wrote:

Bonus question:

The Blair Witch Project. That was creepy.

Ahaa, hell yeah. Although idk, I felt like there was a little sexual tension between some of those teens. Regardless, that was probably the first movie that ever drove me to literally turn on my room lights. I was just a kid, and happened to find a copy of it in my parents tv stand drawer so I watched it. It was intense, lol, and the very last scene of the dude facing the wall in the basement... ugh... still gives me chills :)
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 8:47:56 PM
At 1/24/2015 8:44:26 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Bonus question:

The Thing 1982

I've heard of that film before, but always steered clear because the title sounded too cheesy. I'm honestly surprised to see the generally high ratings its received though, so I'll def check it out now that it's been recommended. Thanks for the suggestion!

It's amazing. You ever see Downfall? It's an amazing foreign film movie about the last days of Hitler in his bunker. REC is a pretty good foreign film movie too.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 8:53:43 PM
At 1/24/2015 8:47:56 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Bonus question:

The Thing 1982

It's amazing. You ever see Downfall? It's an amazing foreign film movie about the last days of Hitler in his bunker. REC is a pretty good foreign film movie too.

Nope, I've never seen the movie in full, but I gather it's the film that everyone steals that one clip from to make meme's of the Hitler speech he gave in his bunker. Am I right? If so, then yeah I've only seen bits and pieces, but would love to see the film in full.

I've never heard of REC either. I've never been too much of a fan of horror films. I kinda lost touch with that genre after the countless Jason/Friday the 13th movies that came out in the 90's/early 2000's. REC also has a high rating though on IMDB so I might check it out. I think I'd like to explore some foreign films, I'm starting to lose patience with alot of American productions of late (hence the whole nature of this thread, lol).
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 8:57:04 PM
At 1/24/2015 8:53:43 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Bonus question:

The Thing 1982

Nope, I've never seen the movie in full, but I gather it's the film that everyone steals that one clip from to make meme's of the Hitler speech he gave in his bunker. Am I right? If so, then yeah I've only seen bits and pieces, but would love to see the film in full.

I've never heard of REC either. I've never been too much of a fan of horror films. I kinda lost touch with that genre after the countless Jason/Friday the 13th movies that came out in the 90's/early 2000's. REC also has a high rating though on IMDB so I might check it out. I think I'd like to explore some foreign films, I'm starting to lose patience with alot of American productions of late (hence the whole nature of this thread, lol).

Yeah, the memes are from the movie lol

Chronicle is a really good and unappreciated movie too.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 8:59:39 PM
At 1/24/2015 8:57:04 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Bonus question:

The Thing 1982

Haha, okay that's what I thought, I'll definitely check it out in full someday soon hopefully.

Hell yeah it was. I saw that last year and thought it was pretty awesome. I've always loved the idea of developing "super powers" and that movie really played it out in a realistic way.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 9:00:44 PM
At 1/24/2015 8:59:39 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Bonus question:

The Thing 1982

Haha, okay that's what I thought, I'll definitely check it out in full someday soon hopefully.

Hell yeah it was. I saw that last year and thought it was pretty awesome. I've always loved the idea of developing "super powers" and that movie really played it out in a realistic way.

You ever see Pan's Labyrinth before? It's a pretty good foreign film movie too.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 9:04:29 PM
At 1/24/2015 9:00:44 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Bonus question:

The Thing 1982

Nope, it's a film I've heard ALOT about, but I've never had the chance to sit down and watch it myself. I'm just going to write all these suggestions down and run through the list whenever the opportunity presents itself, lol.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 9:19:18 PM
At 1/24/2015 9:04:29 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Bonus question:

The Thing 1982

Nope, it's a film I've heard ALOT about, but I've never had the chance to sit down and watch it myself. I'm just going to write all these suggestions down and run through the list whenever the opportunity presents itself, lol.

District 9? Aliens? Let the Right One In (foreign film)?

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 12:09:08 AM

Bonus question:

The Thing 1982

Pan's Laryrinth is a Guillermo del Toro masterpiece. Check it out.
Debate.org Moderator
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 1:23:01 AM
At 1/24/2015 9:19:18 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Bonus question:

The Thing 1982

I really liked District 9, and am actually really hoping that they come out with a sequel that shows the aliens coming back or something. I think that'd be awesome! I also have Let the Right One In queued in my list of things to watch on Netflix. Was it good?
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 1:32:07 AM
At 1/25/2015 12:09:08 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

Bonus question:

The Thing 1982

Pan's Laryrinth is a Guillermo del Toro masterpiece. Check it out.

Okay, I just checked Netflix but they only have it on DVD. Luckily I did find a free version to stream from a website! My roommate told me to watch it as well so I'll be watching it tomorrow night, lol.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 7:38:17 AM

Bonus question:

There's a scene in the show "Episodes" (a show about a couple who makes a tv show), where an American producer tells the British couple that they shouldn't make one of their characters gay because if ratings ever sink, they will want to pair that character up with the female character.

It's so true if you think about tv shows (and the massive irony given that Matt Le Blanc is on that show. Friends is so extremely guilty of this. They did almost every single pairing that made any sense. Phoebe is just too weird to date anyone from the group. Joey is too much of a playboy to date serious OCD Monica. Ross is related to Monica.

But they had: Ross and Rachel, Joey and Rachel, Chandler and Monica. The latter was despite multiple early episodes where Monica joked that she would *never* date Chandler.

Ross and Rachel is of course the prototypical love story, but they had to break them up because when they were just a happy couple, they got no leverage out of their relationship. The whole "will they, won't they" is what keeps people watching your show.

And the Joey/Rachel plotline shows how desperate they got for storyline and ratings. No one liked that pairing, and they ended it as quickly as possible due to backlash from fans.

It's ironic how far they will go to have a "will they, won't they" plotline. In Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles (the tv show), the show toys with John Connor falling in love with the female *terminator* sent back to rescue him. And it shows scenes from the future implying that they have some sort of forbidden relationship. Part of the thing the show toyed with to get you to keep watching was whether John was in love with his terminator protector, whether he would confess his love to her, and what that would even mean. Can you even bang a terminator? Does she even have... the equipment?

Seriously, that is how far a show will go to create a romantic storyline.

The show Charmed and Buffy were supposed to be about female empowerment, but a lot of the show was centered around what guy each female character would end up with. Although Buffy gets major props for showcasing the first lesbian kiss on television.

Why do shows and movies keep beating this tired plotline of will they/won't they? Because it pulls at our heartstrings every time and a truly unique story with new plot elements is hard to develop. Because we already understanding archetypes like "love." You don't actually -- as a movie -- have to explain what "love" is. We already get it (or else we're a child who thinks boys or girls are icky and we quickly grow bored). Tv shows rely on stereotypes so often because a stereotype provides a backstory that we all understand without the need to take a lot of time on the show to explain that person's personality (e.g. nagging wife [Edith - All in the Family], overly attached mother [Mrs. Goldberg -- The Goldbergs], OCD lady [Monica -- Friends], dorky guy [Ross -- Friends], grandparent who just can't get with the times [Jay -- Modern Family, the grandma from "Wedding Crashers"]. I could go on and on.....

It's crazy how far we will go to create a love interest. There's even one between a human and an alien three times his height in Avatar. That one was strange.....

It is hard to think of movies where there was *no* love interest. "AI" comes to mind, although it was a terrible movie. Really any movie that deals with kids and family love *might* not have a romantic plotline, but it still deals with love. "Little Miss Sunshine" also comes to mind. "Bad Grandpa."

But most movies do. Even if the couple doesn't end up together, there is a hint of romantic tension.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 8:02:55 AM

Bonus question:

There Will Be Blood (I think, I fell asleep but it's critically acclaimed)
No Country for Old Men (I think, I fell asleep but it's critically acclaimed)

In "True Detective" (tv show), the romance storylines are extremely ancillary to the plot. They are just to get one of the detectives in trouble for cheating.

"The Wire" also has very few romantic storylines that are anything more than mentioned in passing.

I dunno; I don't like this assignment. Sappy love stories can be extremely good. Go watch Stardust. It's one of my favorite movies ever.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 8:05:05 AM

Bonus question:

The Thing 1982

This one does have a romance element to it. There is a "young love" that is toyed with.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 12:09:29 PM

Bonus question:

The Thing 1982

The latter IS a love story.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 12:11:14 PM
At 1/25/2015 12:09:29 PM, phantom wrote:

Bonus question:

The Thing 1982

He was asking for good movies by the end of this. Jeez.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 12:13:57 PM
At 1/25/2015 12:11:14 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 1/25/2015 12:09:29 PM, phantom wrote:

Bonus question:

The Thing 1982

He was asking for good movies by the end of this. Jeez.

Lol, no need to react. I was just pointing out [what I perceived as?] an error. I thought he was asking for movies that don't have a love story, unless I missed something latter on.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 12:20:00 PM

Bonus question:

There Will Be Blood (favorite movie. It does have a bit of a love story though), No Country for Old Men (second favorite movie), 12 Angry Men, The Thin Red Line (has a minor love element), Capote (I don't remember it having any love story), Reservoir Dogs, Pan's Labyrinth, Foxcatcher.

There are also films like Whiplash where [Minor Spoilers..............] what starts off as a love story abruptly ends and doesn't really pick up again. I thought it worked quite well.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 12:20:47 PM
Waking Life
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 12:22:18 PM
At 1/25/2015 12:20:47 PM, phantom wrote:
Waking Life

To be honest, this doesn't really have any story at all, let alone a love story.