Jump to topic:

The Anime Thread

daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 6:24:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I want this thread to be the intersection of anime reviews, opinions, and reccomendations, in one centralized location on the site. I'll start off with the anime I have seen, and then the ones I would reccomend watching immediately.

Seen:
Code Geass(Both Seasons)
Sword Art Online(Both Seasons)
Clannad(Original, as well as After Story)
Angel Beats
Madoka Magica

Dropped(Lost interest):
Death Note(Around episode 28/29)
Attack on Titan(Around episode 20)

The dropped anime weren't bad anime, I'll say right now. I just lost my will to keep watching, either because of a sharp drop in quality(Death Note) or I was just fatigued from keeping on watching it(Attack on Titan)

The two anime I reccomend watching the both are Code Geass and Clannad.

Code Geass is a rather brilliant anime, with supernatural elements, an excellently(for the most part) done story, and a fantastic lead character in Lelouch all adding up to a compelling anime, which I see as what Death Note was at its peak, but dropped off the deep end.

Clannad is the other anime I reccomend. It is quite different from Code Geass, in that is a lot more like a slice of life story rather than a dramatic epic, but it had great characters, a great story, and such a hard-hitting emotional impact. Angel Beats is an anime very similar to this, as it was developed by the same company, and I reccomend watching it if you liked Clannad.

Angel Beats and Madoka Magica were suggested to me by Blackvoid after he found out my interest in Clannad, and I thank him for it. The anime were rather excellent. I hope this thread will be a ground for cultivating anime suggestions and knowledge.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 6:25:22 PM
At 1/25/2015 6:24:04 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
For my sappy romantics:
Kaichou wa-maid sama
Fruits Basket
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 6:35:43 PM
At 1/25/2015 6:28:43 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Attack on Titan should definitely be seen all the way through. It's a fantastic show.

Eh... I'd prefer not to have my battles over the span of eight episodes. I started getting really bored with it.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 6:40:02 PM
At 1/25/2015 6:35:43 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
Attack on Titan should definitely be seen all the way through. It's a fantastic show.

Eh... I'd prefer not to have my battles over the span of eight episodes. I started getting really bored with it.

Yeah, okay, that was tedious, but it was also gripping, and all right there to be seen. You didn't have to wait in-between episodes. Come, you watched Underwood scheme for 26.
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 6:42:46 PM
At 1/25/2015 6:40:02 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Yeah, okay, that was tedious, but it was also gripping, and all right there to be seen. You didn't have to wait in-between episodes. Come, you watched Underwood scheme for 26.

Yeah, but Underwood's scheme was brilliant and had excellent strategy and tactics. I also watched Lelouch's scheme for 50(He probably planned his end, or at least, had an idea). But that's because it was so fun watching how their ideas manifested into reality.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 6:45:48 PM
At 1/25/2015 6:42:46 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
At 1/25/2015 6:40:02 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Yeah, but Underwood's scheme was brilliant and had excellent strategy and tactics. I also watched Lelouch's scheme for 50(He probably planned his end, or at least, had an idea). But that's because it was so fun watching how their ideas manifested into reality.

Well, if you're not invested in the characters, I suppose you wouldn't keep watching. Which is a shame. The battles were amazingly done. Just because it took a bit long to resolve them (especially considering it wasn't a "main" conflict a la Lelouch v Corneilia, Schneizel, or Suzaku) doesn't mean they're not good.

On an unrelated note, D Gray Man and Fate/Stay Night are also great anime.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 6:48:42 PM
Higurashi
Corpse Party
Umineko (Visual Novels if possible)
Evangeleon
Touhou
Persona
Highschool DxD
Highschool of the Dead
School Days
Elfen Lied
Mirai Nikki
The Devil is a Part Timer
Hayate the Combat Butler
Black Butler

I'll post more if I remember them.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 6:49:23 PM
At 1/25/2015 6:48:42 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
Higurashi
Corpse Party
Evangeleon
Touhou
Persona
Highschool DxD
Highschool of the Dead
School Days
Elfen Lied
Mirai Nikki
Hayate the Combat Butler
Black Butler

Corpse Party is messed up. The game is 1,000x better.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 6:50:59 PM
At 1/25/2015 6:49:23 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Higurashi
Corpse Party
Evangeleon
Touhou
Persona
Highschool DxD
Highschool of the Dead
School Days
Elfen Lied
Mirai Nikki
Hayate the Combat Butler
Black Butler

Eh. I watched it will eating ribs. Not that scary or disturbing. The scene where the kids were killed was actually my favorite, and the hanging girl was hilarious. Then there was the teacher too!
TUF, and YYW
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 6:52:31 PM
A sample of the Goodness that is Touhou fan art:

If ZUN ever notices he's sitting on a goldmine, Touhou will be the greatest anime ever.
TUF, and YYW
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 6:52:48 PM
At 1/25/2015 6:50:59 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
Higurashi
Corpse Party
Evangeleon
Touhou
Persona
Highschool DxD
Highschool of the Dead
School Days
Elfen Lied
Mirai Nikki
Hayate the Combat Butler
Black Butler

Eh. I watched it will eating ribs. Not that scary or disturbing. The scene where the kids were killed was actually my favorite, and the hanging girl was hilarious. Then there was the teacher too!

"The scene where the kids were killed was actually my favorite."

Gonna have to be way more specific than that. That show axed off its characters left and right without needing to. That's what the game is superior - the characters who die needed to by the plot, and SOME people you liked actually lived.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 6:59:41 PM
At 1/25/2015 6:52:48 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Higurashi
Corpse Party
Evangeleon
Touhou
Persona
Highschool DxD
Highschool of the Dead
School Days
Elfen Lied
Mirai Nikki
Hayate the Combat Butler
Black Butler

Gonna have to be way more specific than that. That show axed off its characters left and right without needing to. That's what the game is superior - the characters who die needed to by the plot, and SOME people you liked actually lived.
TUF, and YYW
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 7:05:30 PM
At 1/25/2015 6:59:41 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
Higurashi
Corpse Party
Evangeleon
Touhou
Persona
Highschool DxD
Highschool of the Dead
School Days
Elfen Lied
Mirai Nikki
Hayate the Combat Butler
Black Butler

That's a fvcked up dream, Yama.
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 8:40:29 PM
Higurashi
Corpse Party
Evangeleon
Touhou
Persona
Highschool DxD
Highschool of the Dead
School Days
Elfen Lied
Mirai Nikki
Hayate the Combat Butler
Black Butler

Thats... Really f*cked up. Give that girl some safety scissors!
#FeeltheFreezerBern
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 9:49:38 PM
At 1/25/2015 8:40:29 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
Higurashi
Corpse Party
Evangeleon
Touhou
Persona
Highschool DxD
Highschool of the Dead
School Days
Elfen Lied
Mirai Nikki
Hayate the Combat Butler
Black Butler

Thats... Really f*cked up. Give that girl some safety scissors!

I've seen worse, lol. At least I now understand why all the teachers in my high school never gives us actual scissors. :P
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 11:56:52 PM
I need to start watching this stuff...I watch too many shows already, though, lol...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 12:59:21 AM
Full Metal Alchemist
Baccano!
Code Geass
SwordArt Online
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Evangelion
.hack

I've probably seen more, but just can't remember them at the moment. Baccano! was my favorite, with a few others (Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop) giving it a run for its money. I started Ghost in the Shell, but never got to finish it, which really bugs me. I must get back to it some time.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 4:16:49 AM
At 1/26/2015 12:59:21 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Full Metal Alchemist
Baccano!
Code Geass
SwordArt Online
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Evangelion
.hack

I've probably seen more, but just can't remember them at the moment. Baccano! was my favorite, with a few others (Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop) giving it a run for its money. I started Ghost in the Shell, but never got to finish it, which really bugs me. I must get back to it some time.

Do you reccomend Evangelion? I here it thrown around a lot when it comes to both best anime and most hated anime.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 6:25:08 AM
At 1/26/2015 4:16:49 AM, daytonanerd wrote:
Full Metal Alchemist
Baccano!
Code Geass
SwordArt Online
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Evangelion
.hack

Do you reccomend Evangelion? I here it thrown around a lot when it comes to both best anime and most hated anime.

It is incredibly esoteric, but interesting when you take the symbolism into account. It's sort of a mindf*ck at times as well. You're going to hate it if you like straightforward plots and characters, because it's sort of a jigsaw plot in ways.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 6:49:51 AM
Full Metal Alchemist
Original or Brotherhood?
Baccano!
Code Geass
SwordArt Online
Both seasons?
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Evangelion
.hack

To all the people fighting a hard battle out there - life's giving you a pretty hard beating. There's no sugarcoating that, but there's no shadow that's free of light. When life sneers at you and asks, "Ready to go again?" - Raise your hand. Reach out to victory. Don't give in.

---Help Bsh and YYW see each other---
http://www.gofundme.com...
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 6:53:25 AM

Have you seen deadman wonderland? And the 2 episodes of the code geass spin off?
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 1:38:12 PM
At 1/26/2015 6:25:08 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 1/26/2015 4:16:49 AM, daytonanerd wrote:
Full Metal Alchemist
Baccano!
Code Geass
SwordArt Online
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Evangelion
.hack

It is incredibly esoteric, but interesting when you take the symbolism into account. It's sort of a mindf*ck at times as well. You're going to hate it if you like straightforward plots and characters, because it's sort of a jigsaw plot in ways.

Sounds very interesting. I finished the first two episodes around three weeks ago, so maybe I'll start it back up.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 1:39:55 PM
At 1/26/2015 6:53:25 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

Have you seen deadman wonderland? And the 2 episodes of the code geass spin off?

I have not seen deadman wonderland, but I have seen Akito the Exiled(Code Geass spinoff episodes). Not as good of quality as I woukd have liked, but Code Geass mostly worked on the character of Lelouch, so it doesn't surprise me that a series *without Lelouch* wouldn't be as good in the Code Geass canon.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 2:18:01 PM

I agree ^^ I can't wait for the writers to pump out some new material so it can keep going. It's pretty funny that they didn't due to them thinking it wouldn't be a success, lol.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 2:19:42 PM
Ouran Highschool Host Club is one of the funniest anime's I've watched recently.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 2:21:07 PM
At 1/26/2015 1:39:55 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
At 1/26/2015 6:53:25 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

I have not seen deadman wonderland, but I have seen Akito the Exiled(Code Geass spinoff episodes). Not as good of quality as I woukd have liked, but Code Geass mostly worked on the character of Lelouch, so it doesn't surprise me that a series *without Lelouch* wouldn't be as good in the Code Geass canon.

I gave deadman wonderland a chance but lost interest after the 2nd episode. I'm about to start Code Geass as soon as I run through a few movies that were recommended to me in another thread.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 3:49:26 PM
At 1/26/2015 6:49:51 AM, carriead20 wrote:
Full Metal Alchemist
Original or Brotherhood?
Original first, then Brotherhood. I saw the movie with the Nazis too.
Baccano!
Code Geass
SwordArt Online
Both seasons?
Yep. Liked the first one more, though.
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Evangelion
.hack

- Hilaire Belloc -
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 3:49:27 PM

It seems like 95% of people didn't like the later part of Death Note, but I personally thought it was just as great and its still the only anime i've seen that I would give a 10/10. Granted, I really wanted Light to win at the end. It would have been really interesting...but it is what it is.

At 1/25/2015 6:25:22 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
For my sappy romantics:
Kaichou wa-maid sama

Lol, this one is hilarious.

At 1/26/2015 2:21:07 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I gave deadman wonderland a chance but lost interest after the 2nd episode. I'm about to start Code Geass as soon as I run through a few movies that were recommended to me in another thread.

CG is a lot like DN concept-wise. Definently see it soon. Which movies were you gonna watch?