Jump to topic:

(Avatar) The Last Airbender

Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2010 11:04:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This thread is for two purposes, two share your thoughts of the movie. And Opinions on the protesters that are protesting because "white characters played the lead hero's and the only Asian's were villains".

The movie didn't live up to my hopes, coming from a kid who's seen every episode of the show 2-3 times. But i completely disagree with the protesting of "racism" first of all one of their complaints is just incorrect, zukko, who is an asian character, actually turns our to be a hero, so that's gone. The southern water tribe was supposed to be white, so that takes care of katara and sokka, and the avatar was a buddist monk, which he looked like.

I personally think that complaining about racism is racism in itself, i prefer a "colorblind" view.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 5:37:21 AM
At 7/1/2010 11:04:22 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
This thread is for two purposes, two share your thoughts of the movie. And Opinions on the protesters that are protesting because "white characters played the lead hero's and the only Asian's were villains".

The movie didn't live up to my hopes, coming from a kid who's seen every episode of the show 2-3 times. But i completely disagree with the protesting of "racism" first of all one of their complaints is just incorrect, zukko, who is an asian character, actually turns our to be a hero, so that's gone. The southern water tribe was supposed to be white, so that takes care of katara and sokka, and the avatar was a buddist monk, which he looked like.

I personally think that complaining about racism is racism in itself, i prefer a "colorblind" view.

yeah... and anime always makes the main people look white... so why are people objecting when that's how the movie makes it.

It's like in dragonball... everyone looks white... (but they're supposed to be asian)

But I can see why people are a bit upset about it... But really they then should also be upset about the cartoon and many other Anime cartoons.

http://drmikessteakdinner.com...
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 8:06:14 AM
The physical characteristics of the characters should look more Asian I'll agree to that. They look white in the show? Some do, I'll admit that. I don't think they got many/if any characters that looked how they were supposed to, whether they are white or asian.

Haven't seen it yet, but not getting my hopes up cause the trailers made it look kinda crappy
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 1:06:55 PM
didn't they get angs name wrong in the movie the pronunciation of it? I felt the movie needed to be more asian there was so little asian people when the guy who created the avatar intended the entire show to be an asia styled show. I mean water nation was all white people, Fire nation was all indian people, and the air people were mixes of different races i saw like 20 white children and like 1 indian in the air nation flashbacks. The only asians i saw in the movie were those like background characters or characters with no big parts to play. Iono i am asian and stuff like this kinda pisses me off when a supposed to be asian setting show is portrayed with very few asians this is just Dragonball Evolution all over again, a white man playing goku...

M night Shamalan original thought of casting Zuko was Jesse Mccartney i dont think he ever gave thought to casting an asian (you know what I mean by asian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese) opponent. Iono i think M night did a horrible job with the movie i rather have had Michael Bay do this movie i never liked any of M nights movie at least for michael bay you would know the bending would have been super incredibly flashy and a lot more interesting with a lot more people dying.