Jump to topic:

What's so great about Anime?

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 5:48:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It seems a lot of people on here like it, but I've never understood why. What's the point? Exactly what is it? What is the appeal?
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 6:15:01 PM
At 2/8/2015 5:48:35 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
It seems a lot of people on here like it, but I've never understood why. What's the point? Exactly what is it? What is the appeal?

Anime is a genre that allows the visual representation of unique styles and themes that can't/aren't displayed in live action, or in western animation. It is kind of an escape from the same types of themes that pop up in western television. It's really unique, one of a kind.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 6:18:46 PM
At 2/8/2015 6:15:01 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

Anime is a genre that allows the visual representation of unique styles and themes that can't/aren't displayed in live action, or in western animation. It is kind of an escape from the same types of themes that pop up in western television. It's really unique, one of a kind.
Hmm. Interesting. Thanks!
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 7:56:32 PM

Watch some anime and see for yourself. Granted, there will be some...awkward cultural baggage you'll have to bypass, but then you'll like it. I'd guarantee it, but there's always that select number of people who try anime and dislike it.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 7:57:49 PM

Caution: Japanese TV has different standards. Occasionally they'll show something on anime which would be censored in the United States.
However, it really isn't all that bad.

The DDO Blog:

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 8:00:49 PM
At 2/8/2015 7:56:32 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Watch some anime and see for yourself. Granted, there will be some...awkward cultural baggage you'll have to bypass, but then you'll like it. I'd guarantee it, but there's always that select number of people who try anime and dislike it.

I've seen a few clips, but it wasn't terribly appealing.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 8:27:47 PM
At 2/8/2015 8:00:49 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Try a show called "Sword Art Online" (and ignore the fan service).

The DDO Blog:

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 8:28:28 PM
At 2/8/2015 8:27:47 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Okay, I might look it up sometime.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 8:48:43 PM
At 2/8/2015 8:28:28 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Screw SOA. If you want a memorable story, watch something like Angel Beats, Clannad or Evangelion.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 8:49:25 PM
At 2/8/2015 8:48:43 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Screw SOA. If you want a memorable story, watch something like Angel Beats, Clannad or Evangelion.

Okay... Why?

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 8:52:16 PM
At 2/8/2015 8:49:25 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Okay... Why?

Angel Beats: I've seen just about every anime worth seeing and it is the only anime ever to make me feel anything. It is pretty funny, great art and has touching moments.

Clannad: Never seen it but everyone who sees it says it's great for new people to anime. It's a great drama.

Evangelion: A work of art. Though parts of it are more focused on being artistic than... follow able.
TUF, and YYW
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 8:53:54 PM
At 2/8/2015 8:52:16 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Okay... Why?

Angel Beats: I've seen just about every anime worth seeing and it is the only anime ever to make me feel anything. It is pretty funny, great art and has touching moments.

Clannad: Never seen it but everyone who sees it says it's great for new people to anime. It's a great drama.

Evangelion: A work of art. Though parts of it are more focused on being artistic than... follow able.
Thanks! Are you really into anime?

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 8:55:28 PM
At 2/8/2015 8:53:54 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Okay... Why?

Yep. But stay away from Boku no Pico. Seriously, avoid it. NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FALL FOR THAT ANIME.

It really depends on what you like genre wise, though.
TUF, and YYW
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 8:56:05 PM
I think a big reason is because anime tackles topics seldom seen in a Western television and literature. However, anime is also much trickier. In my experience, it's either completely and utterly insane or absolutely fantastic (with very few in-between).

A lot of it depends on what style you like. If it's mechs, try Evangelion or Code Geass (though I've always seen Code Geass as a drama that just happened to have mechs in it). If it's action, try Attack on Titan. If it's magic/fantasy, Fairy Tail (lighter) or the Fate/ Series (darker) are all decent. And so on and so on.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 8:58:26 PM
At 2/8/2015 8:55:28 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 2/8/2015 8:53:54 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Okay... Why?

Yep. But stay away from Boku no Pico. Seriously, avoid it. NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FALL FOR THAT ANIME.

It really depends on what you like genre wise, though.
All right. :)

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 8:59:03 PM
At 2/8/2015 8:56:05 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I think a big reason is because anime tackles topics seldom seen in a Western television and literature. However, anime is also much trickier. In my experience, it's either completely and utterly insane or absolutely fantastic (with very few in-between).

A lot of it depends on what style you like. If it's mechs, try Evangelion or Code Geass (though I've always seen Code Geass as a drama that just happened to have mechs in it). If it's action, try Attack on Titan. If it's magic/fantasy, Fairy Tail (lighter) or the Fate/ Series (darker) are all decent. And so on and so on.

Thanks for explaining, I appreciate it. :)

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 10:07:37 PM

Eh. SAO had a seemingly simple plotline, but there was also a complexity to it. It's still worth watching, in my opinion.

Evangelion has more of a psychological feel to it, because let's face it: if you want action, you don't turn to a 20 year old show. If you don't appreciate the characters, you won't appreciate the show.
I don't really know about those other two, though.

The DDO Blog:

daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2015 12:23:33 PM

Okay... Why?

You should really watch it. If you felt over Angel Beats, then this one will beat the $hit out of you. It was also developed by the same people as Angel Beats.

#FeeltheFreezerBern
Geographia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 8:03:12 PM
Don't listen to them OP. Both Clannad and Angel Beats are hilariously overrated.

Both stories are underdeveloped and lacking, cliches out the a$$...
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 9:27:59 AM
At 2/11/2015 8:03:12 PM, Geographia wrote:
Don't listen to them OP. Both Clannad and Angel Beats are hilariously overrated.

Both stories are underdeveloped and lacking, cliches out the a$$...

Okay...?

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 5:00:25 PM
It seems a lot of people on here like it, but I've never understood why. What's the point?
It's like japanese shows.
Exactly what is it?
Above.
What is the appeal?
Like any other show...

Watch Code Geass.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 5:37:54 PM

It's a complete breath of fresh air from Western animation, with very different cultural and humour origins. Very different takes on fantasy and the taboo/cultural taboo boundaries are very different.

So, it is like living in a different world when watching anime/reading manga, at least that's what I find. You don't run into anywhere near as many western cliche's (I suspect in part because they are Japanese cliche's that one is simply unfamiliar with), I guess it's akin to trying out different foods. There isn't necessarily anything "objectively better" about anime to western animation, just a different flavor.
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 5:55:14 PM

Anime exists for adults and kids. There are all different kinds of anime for males, females, introverted folks, teens, young adults, history lovers, deviants, and etc.(you name it they got it). American cartoons are simple and they tend to revolve stories in one or two episodes which are for teens and kids to watch. As opposed to majority of animes, the character and the plot usually develop as the episodes progress. Anime is usually the telling of a complex tale.

There is an anime for everyone(almost everyone).
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 5:18:30 AM

Anime... Is like cartoon. But for teenagers. I wouldn't say it's always geared towards adults although some anime are. It has all the complexities of any kind of novel, just that it is mostly set in Japan and the characters are Japanese. It's appealing because it's like looking into another culture. Seeing what's popular in that culture, what is loved and what ideals are important. Also, anime is just fun to watch as it is similar to a TV show being shown in animations instead of real people.
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 10:35:27 AM
At 2/13/2015 5:18:30 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

Anime... Is like cartoon. But for teenagers. I wouldn't say it's always geared towards adults although some anime are. It has all the complexities of any kind of novel, just that it is mostly set in Japan and the characters are Japanese. It's appealing because it's like looking into another culture. Seeing what's popular in that culture, what is loved and what ideals are important. Also, anime is just fun to watch as it is similar to a TV show being shown in animations instead of real people.
Thank you! That makes sense.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
XSOLDIER
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 11:01:08 AM

There are anime with good or bad ending. Being doubtful to what kind of genre and the complexity of story that you are interested. Just go to my profile summaries and pick some of them that can really entice you.I don't expect you to like the same anime that I do. Hope that is helpful.