Jump to topic:

Celebrity Privacy

cjl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2010 3:58:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Do we bother abd nose into celebrity lives too much? I am not caring, because their lives do not affect me, so I try to ignore them. But I would not want people bothering me in suh a manner. Do we bother celebs too much?
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2010 4:00:39 PM
It's part of the job description and a fair trade if you ask me: fame for a little privacy intrusion. Besides, aspiring celebrities know full well what's coming.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
cjl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2010 4:05:11 PM
At 7/7/2010 4:00:39 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
It's part of the job description and a fair trade if you ask me: fame for a little privacy intrusion. Besides, aspiring celebrities know full well what's coming.

But just because we know it is a common, and, to me, innappropriate intrusion is coming, does that fact make it okay for us to intrude into their personal privacy?
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2010 4:07:24 PM
At 7/7/2010 4:05:11 PM, cjl wrote:

But just because we know it is a common, and, to me, innappropriate [sic] intrusion is coming, does that fact make it okay for us to intrude into their personal privacy?

Yes.

Show me the real harm. And besides, most celebrities can keep a relatively low profile if they want to. It's only the extreme cases in which extreme stuff gets finded out and shtuff.
cjl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2010 4:09:24 PM
At 7/7/2010 4:07:24 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 7/7/2010 4:05:11 PM, cjl wrote:

But just because we know it is a common, and, to me, innappropriate [sic] intrusion is coming, does that fact make it okay for us to intrude into their personal privacy?

Yes.

Show me the real harm. And besides, most celebrities can keep a relatively low profile if they want to. It's only the extreme cases in which extreme stuff gets finded out and shtuff.

Let us make a key comparison. Would it be the same as me doing that to you? And on that note, how would you feel about it?
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2010 4:13:35 PM
At 7/7/2010 4:09:24 PM, cjl wrote:
Let us make a key comparison. Would it be the same as me doing that to you?

No, because I don't plan on being a celebrity. I have no interest in acting, music, or anything celebrity-worthy as a profession. Furthermore, even if I were interested in that, there are ways to keep a low profile. Many celebrities are very successful at this. It's only if you want the attention that you get it. Like I said, you get what's coming.

But let's stretch reality for a bit. Let's say I want to be a famous actor. I become a famous actor. Now, I do crazy stuff for attention. You are paparazzi. You find me doing crazy stuff. Do I have a right to complain? No.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2010 4:18:19 PM
This is one of the main reasons why I never want to be famous. I don't want the press constantly intruding on what should be personal matters.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2010 4:22:43 PM
At 7/7/2010 4:15:32 PM, cjl wrote:
So it is okay to intrude on Sara Palin as far as her granddaughter?

I haven't heard about that story.

See? No big deal.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2010 4:30:40 PM
At 7/7/2010 4:26:32 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 7/7/2010 4:22:43 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 7/7/2010 4:15:32 PM, cjl wrote:
So it is okay to intrude on Sara Palin as far as her granddaughter?

I haven't heard about that story.

See? No big deal.

So, we're judging whether it's an invasion of privacy based on whether or not you've heard about it?

As far as I'm aware, Sarah Palin's granddaughter doesn't exist. Only those interested care enough to care. If something was illegally done to get that information, then Palin can take Mr Paparazzi to court. Otherwise, it comes with the territory. If you want to become a public figure (I'm assuming, of course, that Palin voluntarily wanted to run for VP), you accept the consequences. People want to know about their possible future leaders.
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2010 6:26:13 PM
They have every right to privacy, unless their actions somehow affect the lives of others, then it can be called into question. Fortunately, their lives don't affect anyone else. They're celebrities, not politicians.

The right to privacy is one of those areas where "majority rules" has no place.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2010 7:12:56 PM
Sure they have a right to PRIVACY, but I am not uncomfortable saying that >90% of this "privacy invasion" happens when they're in PUBLIC places.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2010 7:23:19 PM
I believe I have studied the judicial rationale for paparazzi and the like having some sort of power in being involved with a celebrity's public life, which makes sense.
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2010 7:30:41 PM
What fascinates me is the fact that there are enough idiots in the world to create a demand for the information that could be construed as privacy invasion in the first place. I never understood gossip and all this celebrity hype, and I just can't bring myself to respect people who care about what someone they've never met before was seen wearing, or which celebrity looks pregnant. It really is a sad, sad reflection on our society.

Of course since it doesn't look like the world is getting any smarter, then I say these celebrities know exactly what they're getting in to, and its nothing a trusty Louisville Slugger can't help.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2010 7:58:00 PM
Celebrities traded their privacy for the fame and money they shouldn't be complaining if the very people that made them has an unhealthy obsession with them it comes with the profession. Plus if the paparazzi no longer follow the celebrities they realize their worth is not good anymore and they crave for them to come back.