1927 Silent Film - Metropolis

KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 3:46:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Who has seen this? What did you think?

I think it is a bit overrated, but the special effects were good (mind-blowing actually), I did NOT listen to the score, and this is the first silent film I have seen. It is a pioneer of the sci-fi movie, so it has a bit of a cult following, and its history of being lost to history (the ending) for decades.

I did like it overall, but I did not understand the seduction of the uppers at all. In fact, I could have done without it. I think I'd rate it 8/10.
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 3:48:12 PM
Wow, I stopped in mid-thought:

It is a pioneer of the sci-fi movie genre, so it has a bit of a cult following, and its history of being lost to history (the ending) for decades adds to the enchantment of the film.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 2:52:38 AM
At 2/11/2015 3:48:12 PM, KhaosMage wrote:
Wow, I stopped in mid-thought:

It is a pioneer of the sci-fi movie genre, so it has a bit of a cult following, and its history of being lost to history (the ending) for decades adds to the enchantment of the film.

I thought it was good for its time. Expressing such things via that medium, in that fashion was incredibly ground breaking. What really got me was the 'Heart' taking over at the (I think what has been dubbed the 'Heart Machine'), and calling to the heavens about when a shift ends, and the continued and eventual desperation at which he was executing the job.

The failing (to me) comes from how closed loop Metropolis is, that being what the 'working class' is being paid with, unless the city is some bizarre colony of evolved slave labor. Clearly the lowers had to be compensated, and their lively hood came in part from their labors to eachother as part of the utilities of the city... but the uppers just had wealth... for reasons.

Fun fact, Metropolis is the inspiration for Madonna's 'Express Yourself' video.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 3:06:13 AM
Please forgive me for not recalling immediately the names of characters save for Marie/Hel, its been a LONG time. NetFlix had the full cut a while ago, thats how I was able to see it.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...