Jump to topic:

Primer (movie)

BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 4:33:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I watched this movie a second time the other day, and I understood a little bit more than before, but this is still one of the most confusing movies I've ever seen.

If you haven't seen it, its a movie about a group of businessmen who try to invent a device that can reduce an object's mass. It works, but it has the side effect of causing the object to experience an extremely long amount of time relative to the real world. Basically, its a time machine, and they start using it on themselves in order to predict the stock market.

Its probably the most "realistic" time travel movie there is. There's no sci-fi element at all outside of the device, and even then, they don't go crazy with it; they don't travel any more than a couple of weeks into the past.

But what everyone remembers about this movie is that its confusing. The main characters speak in heavy technical jargon that blows over most people's heads. Half the time I have no idea what these guys are talking about. Its actually kind of funny.

Its also hard to understand exactly whats going on during certain scenes because nothing is simplified or clearly explained. I frequently found myself having to read parts of the Wikipedia synopsis in order to figure out what just happened.

This movie definitely makes you think, but maybe a bit too much. And yet, I've seen some people on the internet claim that this is one of the best and most philosophical movies ever created. They say that not being mainstream or understandable by the average person is what makes it great.

Has anyone here seen it? What did you think?
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 6:51:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2015 4:33:40 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
I watched this movie a second time the other day, and I understood a little bit more than before, but this is still one of the most confusing movies I've ever seen.

If you haven't seen it, its a movie about a group of businessmen who try to invent a device that can reduce an object's mass. It works, but it has the side effect of causing the object to experience an extremely long amount of time relative to the real world.
I read a short story that ran a similar mechanism, except it was more of a portal-machine than a time machine. Moving through one portal gate will bring you out through any other connected portal gate.. anywhere in the universe. The downside is that if you move through the gate conscious, you come out either crazy or braindead. Apparently your conscious mind is put through relative eons within the gate so that when you emerge, your brain is nothing but mush. That story had me thinking about the side-effects of eternal existence with nothing to do for the entire duration - sheer monotony unto infinity. Same concept but worse. :)
They say that not being mainstream or understandable by the average person is what makes it great.
These are two incredibly stupid criteria that ultimately have nothing to do with how good a movie is.
Senpai has noticed you.