The Most Pathetic Review I have Ever Read

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 10:20:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
http://www.theatlantic.com...

SPENCER KORNHABER is a staff writer at The Atlantic, where he covers pop culture and music.... or at least that's what the website says. Based on this review, I'm more inclined to conclude that he's an ironic, culturally illiterate sophist who writes for the egotistical thrill of having criticized someone else. Say what he may, season 3 was excellent. Kornhaber... a dullard and troll.
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 10:54:55 PM
At 3/1/2015 10:20:21 PM, YYW wrote:

SPENCER KORNHABER is a staff writer at The Atlantic, where he covers pop culture and music.... or at least that's what the website says. Based on this review, I'm more inclined to conclude that he's an ironic, culturally illiterate sophist who writes for the egotistical thrill of having criticized someone else. Say what he may, season 3 was excellent. Kornhaber... a dullard and troll.

I've only watched the first couple episodes of season 3 so far, so I'm going to refrain from reading his review... So far I've liked what I've seen from season 3, but it could ultimately go either way once I've seen it in its entirely. I will say that season one and two were excellent, but I don't have as high expectations since it's difficult to maintain that level of quality and interest, and it's become something different than it was in the first 2 seasons (which is where I actually thought it ended)... But either way, so far so good.

What I do especially like about the show that it's maintained is the constant 4th wall breaking moments, excellent writing and story lines and perhaps more broadly (since I felt the same way about Breaking Bad) the fact that anti-heroes seem to make especially compelling characters to follow - and Frank Underwood is an especially interesting one.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 7:58:14 PM
At 3/1/2015 10:54:55 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 3/1/2015 10:20:21 PM, YYW wrote:

I've only watched the first couple episodes of season 3 so far, so I'm going to refrain from reading his review... So far I've liked what I've seen from season 3, but it could ultimately go either way once I've seen it in its entirely. I will say that season one and two were excellent, but I don't have as high expectations since it's difficult to maintain that level of quality and interest, and it's become something different than it was in the first 2 seasons (which is where I actually thought it ended)... But either way, so far so good.

What I do especially like about the show that it's maintained is the constant 4th wall breaking moments, excellent writing and story lines and perhaps more broadly (since I felt the same way about Breaking Bad) the fact that anti-heroes seem to make especially compelling characters to follow - and Frank Underwood is an especially interesting one.

I think that now, the action is of a different kind than before... but it's just as good if not better. I think the third season is probably my favorite so far, but that's all I'll say because I don't want to ruin it for anyone.

I totally agree w/re: Frank Underwood, though. I usually don't get behind anti-heroes, but I really like him, and more than that I understand his character in a way that it's rare on American TV for me.

The only criticism I have about the third season is the way the marriage issues were written; it goes from "co-equal partnership" to something... much darker. But, again, that's all I'll say. I don't think it's true to either Frank or Claire, as characters.
Tsar of DDO