Jump to topic:

Warped: A DDO Chronicle Chapter 9

RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 10:30:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
A/N: It's about damn time, isn't it? Cheers to the second arc, everyone!

Previous Chapter: http://www.debate.org...

Chapter 9: December 16th, 2014

Game 2, Day 84.

The players of Mafia Online have suffered greatly in their imprisonment in the virtual world. Out of the original five thousand members at the launch, as the second game draws to a close, only eight hundred have survived--and none unscathed. Many of the remaining players ache for their friends and fellow colleagues who have died.

Tension continues to rise. The players are intimidated by each other as the fact that their death will occur at others' hands becomes frighteningly imminent. Blood sheds, and the original peace--already fragile--has crumbled. Many players have died at the hands of others--and even their own--during the periods outside of a game.

The world is div

An exceptionally strong gust of wind tore the scrap of paper from Endark's grip as he wrote. Swearing, he groaned in frustration and dejectedly watched what was going to be the newest addition to his documentations of his time trapped in the virtual world drift into the dark sky. He supposed writing on the roof wasn't such a good idea to begin with, but he was nevertheless disappointed. Besides, writing always soothed his mind. Strangely, though, it didn't seem to be working tonight.

Sighing, he leaned back on the shingles and stared up at the sky. Virtual or not, the stars and the moon shined in a pristine beauty--a sight he rarely had the chance to see. Last time he was in the real world, he could barely see the moon through the smog.

"Hey." Startled, he glanced back at the window to find Annie staring at him through the open window from where he himself climbed through. Her eyebrows were knit together in concern. "Mind if I join you?"

Endark wordlessly shifted a few inches to the side, and she lowered herself next to him. For several moments, they simply stared up at the sky, enjoying each other's presence and warmth in the brisk night. Below them, the lights of the city glowed faintly in the night, as if it was a reflection of the sky above.

It had been almost three months since the game had been launched, and Endark couldn't help but feel a deep sense of longing and melancholy for the real world. He had no idea what was going on, and the memories of his family and friends had been masked by the virtual world to a certain degree.

Of course, he was so grateful for the chance to live alongside everyone from DDO--especially with the girl who was now resting her head on his shoulder. He couldn't bear the thought of leaving them all behind if he returned to the real world...or worse, if there was no one to leave behind if he returned to the real world, he thought sadly. Endark wasn't really the emotional type, but he had lost so many of his friends...the thought of losing everyone made his blood grow cold...or colder, due to the especially frosty wind that just whooshed by, he thought dryly.

He felt Annie shiver next to him. "Endark, may I ask what you are doing outside on the roof of our house in three in the morning?"

"Not to mention the fact that it's about ten degrees below zero tonight," he remarked. Even without glancing at her, he could tell she was rolling her eyes.

"You didn't answer my question."

Pretending to not have heard her over the wind, Endark brought his phone out, wanting to take a picture of the sky. As soon as he turned it on, the profile page of a player shined into view:

ConservativePolitico's account has been deactivated.

Silently cursing, he hurriedly fumbled with the menu button before Annie might have noticed. Apparently he must forgotten to exit from the page before turning his phone off an hour or so ago after brooding over Grant.

"Endark?" He didn't want to answer. But how could he not?

"Look, Annie..." he forced himself to go on. "Ever since...you know...the second game ended, something changed. When the first game ended, even with thousands of players dead...none of us were affected. We all lived--everyone we knew."

"Now some are gone." Annie finished for him.

Endark nodded. "This is only the beginning. Soon, dozens, scores, and hundreds will die..."

Annie simply cuddled closer. "To be honest, I thought death was simply an illusion in this world. Even when...when we were all in that dome, fated to kill each other...I always clung onto the hope that somehow, all of us could be saved..." she whispered.

Endark took a shaky laugh. "I never even liked Grant that much. But now that he's...gone..." he couldn't force himself to say the word.

They both gazed back up at the endless sky. "Hey, Annie. How long do you think it will be before we can escape?" Endark asked.

"As long as I'm with you, it doesn't matter to me."

"That sounded corny."

"Shut up, Endark."

"I never said I disagreed."

Dawn rose with the sun, slowly followed by the sleeping city. Thett, however, was an exception...or rather used to be, as he now promptly woke up with his face feeling as if it was on fire.

A few more seconds of disorientation, screaming, and cursing, and he realized it was the exact opposite. He didn't need to look or regain composure to know who would even do that to him. He hated her with a passion, to put it simply, and the fact that she had just unceremoniously awakened him with a bucket of iced water didn't really help.

"Liz! Wh--what the hell was that for?" he demanded, trying to wipe away the stinging chunks of ice.

"Screw you too, Thett. Took me ten minutes just to wake you up. Did someone put something in your drink or something?"

"Undoubtedly you if it was," he retorted, struggling to sit up and tried to give Liz a good whack with his fist while he was at it.

She managed to swat it aside in his disoriented state and roughly pulled him up from the couch. "Just get up and hurry. There's something you need to see."

He pushed her away in annoyance. "I don't care. Get out of my house, Liz."

Liz bit her lip. "Thett..." For the first time, Thett noticed her eyes were slightly red, and her face was unnaturally chalky.

"What?"

"It's...it's Royal."
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 10:32:35 PM
A crowd gathered on the street murmured in hushed voices. Mishap, however, simply stared, in complete silence, while standing in front of them.

"Is it true?"

"That's been the eleventh time this week."

"Another building got destroyed? Impossible."

"The game never allowed that until recently..."

"At this rate..."

The ashes of a building stood before them, debris scattered around the charred remains. The sign, which managed to somehow remain partly intact, marked the structure as what used to be a large bakery, now razed to the ground in fire. An ironic ending, she bitterly thought.

Among the ruins, however, sprawled a gruesome sight of the customers...or what remained of them. Behind the destroyed counter, an NPC woman huddled in a corner, covered in blood, and cowering in fear.

"Laura!" A voice cried out from the mob of players, and a man dashed toward the bodies to grasp that of a woman, who now had several of her limbs missing and her face marred with blood. Mishap could hear ragged gasps from the mourner as he turned back toward the crowd with the corpse in tow.

"S--someone get a doctor..." he croaked, almost inaudibly. He walked toward them while dragging the corpse by the arm. His eyes were wild and already tinged in red, but a blankness that looked more eerie than any human emotion rested on his face. His hands were streaked with crimson. The players took furtive glances at each other before simply staring at the wretched man. Mishap couldn't really blame them. What could they have said, without touching the inevitable truth? She herself didn't know.

"Well?" He demanded, only his voice trembled ever so slightly. "S--she can st--still be saved." Silence. "Right?" He faintly smiled--an empty smile, one that diluted its original purpose.

She couldn't bear to watch any longer. "Sir," Mishap's voice was laden with sadness and compassion. "She"s gone."

The man took a rattling breath as if it was his dying one. "I--I--" Then, his other hand, still stained with the dead's blood, reached over to his side. Then he brandished a metallic object that shined with cruelty.

"I don't believe you!" He raised the gun, and Mishap's eyes widened in shock, then squeezed them shut.

She waited for the inevitable.

Bang.

Clang. Clang.

Was that the bell of Heaven? Or was it that of Hell?

She slowly blinked open an eye to not see a dark hole punctured through her body, but a boy with a large sword held the man in a lock; his neck pressed against the blade. The gun, still smoking from the end, was cleaved in two on the ground.

The crowd began muttering again.

"Impossible..."

"Is he a hacker?"

"He just cut the bullet in half...not to mention the gun..."

Mishap gaped at the boy, eyes in shock, and her eyes rose slightly upwards to read his username:

Warped.

The man was still frozen under Warped's grip, his sword ever so gently pressing into the flesh. In the commotion, the corpse of the woman had fallen facedown onto the ground.

Warped glanced at the bloody form, then back at the man, who was beginning to hyperventilate. Sighing, he relinquished his grip and sheathed his sword, roughly pulling the man up to his feet by the shoulders.

He looked at him in the eyes, which were now leaking tears and noticeably red. "She's dead," he said shortly. What else could he do?

Then he released his grip, and the man dropped to his knees, shivering. Warped glanced at the disdainful crowd. He could hear their whispers even from where he stood.

"Hacker..."

"Did you see the way he treated that guy?"

"He's inhuman..."

"Maybe he's a monster in the game."

"Let's kill him then."

His spine chilled. He knew full well that they were powerless to do him any harm, but...where had he heard those words before?

Barely aware of what he was doing, he slowly turned and trudged back to the main court of the city.

"Wait!" A voice called out. Warped turned his head slightly to see the girl named Mishap sprint toward him. He waited for her to reach him, staring down at her curiously.

Mishap was bent double with her hands on her knees, panting for breath. "Th--thank you," she managed to get out.

He nodded absently. The girl stared up at him, and Warped had the sensation of his skin crawling and his very being exposed. "Who are you?"

He blinked. What kind of question was that? Out of the infinite possibilities, why the only one that he didn't...no, couldn't know?

"I...I..."

He couldn't bring himself to fabricate a lie, as he could with anything else. How could he lie when he was unaware of the truth?

"Wait!" Mishap called. But he was already sprinting around the corner of the building, leaving the ruins behind in his wake, not caring what direction he was going.

He didn't even notice how wet his face was.

Thett charged through the automatic doors of the hospital, panting heavily. The lobby was packed with players, and the massive influx was most likely due to the recent terrorist (or so they say) attacks.

Despite the mass of people in the room, the people around him still gaped at his entrance, and he couldn't really blame them--he practically exuded an aura masculine perfection, after all.

He elbowed his way through the crowded room, receiving curses and unflattering comments, and occasionally received an elbow back as retribution. He didn't care.

After much struggling, he managed to burst through the line of people, immediately diving for the nearest receptionist. The unfortunate NPC yelped in surprise as Thett seized the front of his uniform and dragged him forward face-to-face.

"Hey! Let go, please!" he protested, clawing at Thett's vicelike grip.

Naturally, he ignored him. "I have an urgent request to make."

"Sir, there are at least twenty people in line ahead of--"

"I'm looking for the room number of a female patient around her early 20's. Her username is RoyalPaladin."

The player at the front of the line cut in the seemingly one-sided discussion. "Hey, what the hell, man? Wait for your turn!"

Without looking, Thett promptly punched him in the face, knocking him to the floor. "Well?" he demanded, glaring at the receptionist.

The NPC gulped. "All right, let me search the player on our patient list. This will take just one minute." Hurriedly, he began typing at the computer, with Thett growling in displeasure at the latter part of the NPC's comment. Sure enough, a minute (full of curses) later, he looked up. "Room 8-024B, sir."

So it's true...

Thett was already gone, making a beeline for the elevator, which was already closing. He raced over to the elevator, slamming his fist into the UP button. "Open up!" he screamed.

The elevator doors continued to close, however, and the last thing Thett saw inside before the doors shut was the grinning face of the man he had punched in the face a minute earlier.

"GODDAMN IT! YOU LITTLE PIECE OF--" he roared, kicking at the closed doors.

He backed up, deeply breathing. All right. Fine. Plan B it was, then.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 10:35:29 PM
He dashed toward the stairs as fast as he could, wincing and slightly limping from his throbbing foot, and began his journey up the eight flights of stairs.

Thett stared at her for a minute or an hour, he wasn't sure. Eventually, he snapped out of his reverie. "What? What do you mean 'Royal'?"

Stair Two. Thett took a moment to gaze upward at the spiral of stairs arcing above before resuming his speed climb.

Liz bit her lip, unable to meet him in the eyes. "Thett...she was in the game all along."

Three. The throbbing in his leg increased, hindering him further. He cursed at himself for his temper back at the elevator.

"Liz, don't lie to me. Don't you dare lie to me about...about her." His voice grew unnaturally quiet without him meaning to.

Four. Perhaps he should have just waited for the elevator to come back down.

"Thett, I'm serious. I saw her about an hour ago! In that...in that...attack..."

Five. He was slightly panting now, clasping at a stitch developing in his side from the day's exertion.

"Stop lying to me!" he snarled, sure this was a prank orchestrated by Liz. It had to be, it had to be, it had to be. The odds of Royal logging onto DDO that day since two years was virtually nonexistent. It had to be.

Six. He was now only taking two steps at a time instead of the original four, and his breathing grew ragged.

"I knew you wouldn't believe me," she sighed in exasperation, brushing her hair from her eyes, or so it appeared. "She...she was injured, Thett. Her head was bleeding pretty badly while we got her to a hospital."

Seven. He stumbled over the last step, almost falling headfirst into the floor. Gasping for breath, he lurched himself forward for the last flight of stairs.

He said nothing. He desperately wanted to believe, but... "Where's the hospital?"

Eight. He flung the door open and shoved himself in, completely winded. Scanning the corridor briefly, he dashed along the long hallway, skimming the room numbers.

8-009, 8-010, 8-011...

All of the doors to the rooms were closed, and if there were voices inside, he couldn't tell.

8-015, 8-016, 8-017...

Royal...he hadn't seen her for two years, yet...

8-021, 8-022, 8-023--

8-024.

But the door was open.

And there was no one inside.

Two weeks earlier

The city was quiet as they awaited the arrival of the other remaining players. Game Two was underway, and half of the players had returned. There was no rejoicing as of yet, however. The city was dampened with a foreboding silence.

Of course, he himself could really care less about what happened in the game anymore. He could hardly be considered as a player anymore, he mused. Well, he used to be, anyway.

Unlike the others though, he was now free to do whatever he wanted. He wasn't a player anymore; for starters, he was supposed to be dead. Before the first game had started, he was already messing around with code on a computer. He then purposefully tried to kill himself in the game, only he didn't die.

He respawned.

That was when he realized the infinite possibilities the world had to offer. In some sense, this world was his playground; his toy to play with.

He was ready to do a lot of playing.

Unfortunately, it was taking quite a bit of time to prepare his new toy. He was currently busy at work typing away at a console working on several pages of coding (that he'd been working on for several weeks now) inside a dismal dome, the very place he had respawned in a couple of months ago--the very dome he and 4,999 others realized that they were abject to imprisonment in this world.

The memory still left a metallic taste in his mouth. It took him a while to realize it was blood from biting his tongue.

Swallowing the taste, he returned his attention to the console screen. Even if the dome had felt like a prison on the first day, it was now his sole haven of freedom. He had made much progress, but it would still take a while to complete--a week at the most.

Once it was completed...well, it would be his game by then.

It would be his world.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 10:40:16 PM
At 3/4/2015 10:30:03 PM, RevNge wrote:

It is about goddamn fvcking time.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 10:45:35 PM
At 3/4/2015 10:40:16 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

STFU bub you don't even read this

Do you? O.o
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 10:46:51 PM
At 3/4/2015 10:45:35 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 3/4/2015 10:40:16 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

STFU bub you don't even read this

Do you? O.o

Mm...

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 10:58:14 PM
At 3/4/2015 10:57:30 PM, RevNge wrote:
Bump over spam

Lol

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 12:57:25 PM
At 3/4/2015 10:32:35 PM, RevNge wrote:
Despite the mass of people in the room, the people around him still gaped at his entrance, and he couldn't really blame them--he practically exuded an aura OF masculine perfection, after all.

GODDAMN IT
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 3:20:56 PM
At 3/5/2015 12:54:11 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 3/5/2015 12:41:07 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Well, well, well.

y u hate meh

I don't.
It was a great episode, by the way! Just 2 more years until the next one.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 3:29:11 PM
At 3/5/2015 3:20:56 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/5/2015 12:54:11 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 3/5/2015 12:41:07 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Well, well, well.

y u hate meh

I don't.
It was a great episode, by the way! Just 2 more years until the next one.

Why so soon? O.o
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 4:21:56 PM
At 3/5/2015 4:21:23 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/5/2015 3:30:04 PM, RevNge wrote:
y no one comment ;_;

Cause I'm super-busy.

T_T
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 4:22:58 PM
y no one comment ;_;

Cause I'm super-busy.

Guess who le dude is in the final scene
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 4:26:45 PM
At 3/5/2015 4:22:58 PM, RevNge wrote:
y no one comment ;_;

Cause I'm super-busy.

Heathcliff
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 4:27:45 PM
At 3/5/2015 4:26:45 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
y no one comment ;_;

Cause I'm super-busy.

Heathcliff

Close
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 3:31:46 PM
At 3/5/2015 4:27:45 PM, RevNge wrote:
y no one comment ;_;

Cause I'm super-busy.

Heathcliff

Close

me
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 3:36:16 PM
At 3/6/2015 3:31:46 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
y no one comment ;_;

Cause I'm super-busy.

Heathcliff

Close

me

Nope
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 3:37:22 PM
At 3/6/2015 3:36:16 PM, RevNge wrote:
y no one comment ;_;

Cause I'm super-busy.

Heathcliff

Close

me

Nope

I actually thought it was you. Great episode btw
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 3:38:23 PM
At 3/6/2015 3:37:22 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
At 3/6/2015 3:36:16 PM, RevNge wrote:
y no one comment ;_;

Cause I'm super-busy.

Heathcliff

Close

me

Nope

I actually thought it was you. Great episode btw

Thanks. :3

No, this chapter doesn't include me. I hope I left a good cliffy though. :P
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 8:18:50 PM
Cermank + Thett > Throyal
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 8:19:59 PM
At 3/6/2015 8:18:50 PM, thett3 wrote:
Cermank + Thett > Throyal

Cermank's still in this series, lol.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 7:33:26 PM
Ah Rev ;) I'm glad you're back. Like, the real you.

Although I have no idea what's going on in this chapter, save for the fact Warped is the new definition of badass, I really found your writing refreshing. There's a tinge of professionalism and also a slight atmosphere of comedy. I really like it.

Looking forward to the next episode man!
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2015 5:22:50 PM
At 3/7/2015 7:33:26 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
Ah Rev ;) I'm glad you're back. Like, the real you.

Thanks? O________________________o
Although I have no idea what's going on in this chapter, save for the fact Warped is the new definition of badass, I really found your writing refreshing. There's a tinge of professionalism and also a slight atmosphere of comedy. I really like it.

Thought I squeezed in a bit too much, but that was supposed to be intended.

Besides, I like mysteries, and there's a ton of backstory hidden behind several characters, lol.
Looking forward to the next episode man!

ETA: 2016
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 3:26:23 PM
At 3/12/2015 3:20:23 PM, AngelofDeath wrote:
I better be a badass ninja chick of some sort, Rev, or youre gonna die *evil glares*

Since you read all nine chapters so far, sure. ;D
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 3:27:42 PM
At 3/12/2015 3:26:23 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 3/12/2015 3:20:23 PM, AngelofDeath wrote:
I better be a badass ninja chick of some sort, Rev, or youre gonna die *evil glares*

Since you read all nine chapters so far, sure. ;D

<3 ;*

btw, how often do you update? once a month?
I may or may not be a cat