Jump to topic:

WordGirl was NOT meant for kids!!

ILoveCars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 7:05:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Parents need to know that, despite being a children's cartoon, WordGirl has quite gone way too far for a PBS Kids show. While the show's goal is to be targeted towards 6- to 12-year-olds, it really is targeted towards the older crowd (i.e., teens and young adults). The WG show is pretty much a modern Rocko's-- a children's show with very adult humor. Tobey and WordGirl (Becky) flirt like high schoolers, but remember that they are only 10-11 years old, so stuff like this can be very sexualized, offensive, AND addictive to kids their age. Normally mild words like "killing" are used, and in the pilot episode WordGirl referred people watching TV other than PBS as "imbeciles," another word for "idiots." This show really fits the gap between the very educational Martha Speaks and the wildly evil South Park. While not as bad as South Park, sexual innuendo and humor can be very iffy for young children, and so can the insulting/profanity. Disclaimer: I used to watch this show when I was 8-9. My little brother began watching this a month ago and I heard the girl asking a boy to be her Valentine (more like middle to high school levels of crushing than fifth grade). By far this should have been TV-G, TV-PG, or even TV-14 in certain episodes, while leaving some others TV-Y7.

This season 2 episode, "Tiny Big," is the most vulgar WordGirl episode ever that I couldn't believe this show is Y7!
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 7:17:56 PM
Nobody cares.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 7:24:30 PM
At 3/5/2015 7:22:09 PM, ILoveCars wrote:
At 3/5/2015 7:17:56 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Nobody cares.

Then go away, punk!!

Lol. To be brutally honest, nobody on this site will give you a single sh!t over a show on PBS using the word "imbecile".
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ILoveCars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 7:26:40 PM
At 3/5/2015 7:24:30 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 3/5/2015 7:22:09 PM, ILoveCars wrote:
At 3/5/2015 7:17:56 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Nobody cares.

Then go away, punk!!

Lol. To be brutally honest, nobody on this site will give you a single sh!t over a show on PBS using the word "imbecile".

Although this show is sometimes watched by babies, presumingly more than SpongeBob is. Do you want a 3-year-old calling Mama an "imbecile"? And the show was originally rated Y, but NOW it's Y7. They probably took advice from the new SpongeBob.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 7:30:56 PM
Dude, why do you have a hard on for a show no one cares about?
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
ILoveCars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 7:53:18 PM
At 3/5/2015 7:30:56 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
Dude, why do you have a hard on for a show no one cares about?

Because it's not a kids' show. It's worse than SponeBob.
Warik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 1:14:44 PM
At 3/5/2015 7:05:31 PM, ILoveCars wrote:
Parents need to know that, despite being a children's cartoon, WordGirl has quite gone way too far for a PBS Kids show. While the show's goal is to be targeted towards 6- to 12-year-olds, it really is targeted towards the older crowd (i.e., teens and young adults). The WG show is pretty much a modern Rocko's-- a children's show with very adult humor. Tobey and WordGirl (Becky) flirt like high schoolers, but remember that they are only 10-11 years old, so stuff like this can be very sexualized, offensive, AND addictive to kids their age. Normally mild words like "killing" are used, and in the pilot episode WordGirl referred people watching TV other than PBS as "imbeciles," another word for "idiots." This show really fits the gap between the very educational Martha Speaks and the wildly evil South Park. While not as bad as South Park, sexual innuendo and humor can be very iffy for young children, and so can the insulting/profanity. Disclaimer: I used to watch this show when I was 8-9. My little brother began watching this a month ago and I heard the girl asking a boy to be her Valentine (more like middle to high school levels of crushing than fifth grade). By far this should have been TV-G, TV-PG, or even TV-14 in certain episodes, while leaving some others TV-Y7.

This season 2 episode, "Tiny Big," is the most vulgar WordGirl episode ever that I couldn't believe this show is Y7!

You are right. WordGirl is for mentally retarded adults that don't know words
ILoveCars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 9:46:26 PM
At 3/6/2015 1:14:44 PM, Warik wrote:
At 3/5/2015 7:05:31 PM, ILoveCars wrote:

You are right. WordGirl is for mentally retarded adults that don't know words

The Family Guy of kids' cartoons, I guess?
vampiress
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 6:01:39 PM
I assure you I watched Word Girl since 8, and I've never resorted to calling my mother an imbecile. Blowing things out of proportions..