Jump to topic:

Best Genre?

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 9:03:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Now, there are very opinionated people on this site (the way it should be obviously) and I want to know, What genre of music is the best in your opinion and why?

I'll go first! I think Metal is the best (Not Christian or Hair/Glam) because:

a) amazing guitar/bass riffs and solos

b) large range of vocal styles and most are talented (Dave Mustaine...not so much....)

c) makes bold statements about religion, politics, news, etc. with rage infused lyrics that just make ya want to pump your fist in the air and scream, "F*CK YEAH!!"

d) drummers are crazy talented and funny as hell

That's only a few reasons but I want to see other people's!

Now, GO FOR IT!!

(Disclaimer: NO JUSTIN BIEBER OR MILEY CYRUS CRAP. I want TALENTED artists to be discussed here. Thank you.)
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 9:23:39 PM
I certainly don't restrict myself to a single genre, but I do prefer progressive above all else.

1) Experiments with intricate and abstract patterns.
2) Encompasses both slow, and upbeat lyrics/instrumentals.
3) Can be both very relaxing (slow, and smooth) and very engaging all in the same song.
4) Prog often times has concept albums that tell stories. There generally aren't just one or two amazing songs on the album.
5) Awesome live shows. Absorbs you in to the whole experience.
6) Covers a wide spectrum from Pink Floyd to Porcupine Tree.
7) Usually has incredible solos. Example: La Villa Strangiato

Some bands: Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, Rush, Dream Theater, etc..
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 9:25:44 PM
It's nearly impossible for me to choose one favourite genre as I listen to almost everything. However, one main thing I look for in music is good vocals.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 9:29:09 PM
At 7/15/2010 9:23:39 PM, Sobriquet wrote:
I certainly don't restrict myself to a single genre, but I do prefer progressive above all else.

3) Can be both very relaxing (slow, and smooth) and very engaging all in the same song.
4) Prog often times has concept albums that tell stories. There generally aren't just one or two amazing songs on the album.

Yes, I do agree. But progressive seems to lack the power that Metal has... It's definitely catchy and a fun experience but with a Metal show; it's like another dimension. Metal fans are the most loyal of fans in my opinion. When you love Metal, it's like an addiction. And it shows at their shows. They're large. They're loud. And they're deadly. I F'in love it.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 9:35:00 PM
At 7/15/2010 9:29:09 PM, annhasle wrote:

Yes, I do agree. But progressive seems to lack the power that Metal has... It's definitely catchy and a fun experience but with a Metal show; it's like another dimension. Metal fans are the most loyal of fans in my opinion. When you love Metal, it's like an addiction. And it shows at their shows. They're large. They're loud. And they're deadly. I F'in love it.

I tried it. I went to an Iron maiden concert (...not quite metal, they are sort of their own thing). The problem for me is that metal is too powerful. I certainly understand how metal fans are, as I am friends with quite a few. I was also raised on indie rock which is radically different from metal/prog. I think because of it, I prefer music to be a bit softer. That isn't to say I don't appreciate a hardcore solo now and then. Metal and harder prog is the stuff I listen to with friends. I think the day of that Iron Maiden concert....my friends and I listened to music for 7 straight hours.

Favorite bands?
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 9:37:36 PM
At 7/15/2010 9:36:33 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I like rap and hip-hop.

1) Eminem

'Nuff said.

I was just listening to Eminem last night for the first time in months. I forgot how good he was.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 9:39:11 PM
I like rap and hip-hop.

1) Eminem

'Nuff said.

Released a new album recently, didn't he? Couple of my friends have been speaking very highly of it.
— Harry G. Frankfurt
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 9:40:36 PM
At 7/15/2010 9:39:11 PM, Sobriquet wrote:
I like rap and hip-hop.

1) Eminem

'Nuff said.

Released a new album recently, didn't he? Couple of my friends have been speaking very highly of it.

Yea, a few months ago or something I think.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 10:00:46 PM
At 7/15/2010 9:35:00 PM, Sobriquet wrote:
At 7/15/2010 9:29:09 PM, annhasle wrote:

I tried it. I went to an Iron maiden concert (...not quite metal, they are sort of their own thing). The problem for me is that metal is too powerful. I certainly understand how metal fans are, as I am friends with quite a few. I was also raised on indie rock which is radically different from metal/prog. I think because of it, I prefer music to be a bit softer. That isn't to say I don't appreciate a hardcore solo now and then. Metal and harder prog is the stuff I listen to with friends. I think the day of that Iron Maiden concert....my friends and I listened to music for 7 straight hours.

Favorite bands?

I like the powerful ones! :D

Faves?

1. SLAYER
2. Lamb of God
3. Judas Priest (apparently I was conceived at a Judas Priest concert)
4. Machine Head
5. Slipknot
6. Metallica
7. Iron Maiden
8. Testament
9. Five Finger Death Punch
10. Behemoth
11. Celtic Frost
12. Darkthrone
13. Anthrax
14. System of a Down
15. Static-X
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 10:06:08 PM
At 7/15/2010 10:02:22 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Really the only metal bands I like although none can really be considered true metal are Rammstein, Nightwish, and Disturbed.

I LOVE RAMMSTEIN AND DISTURBED... I just wrote the first fifteen that came to mind... >_<
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 11:32:54 PM
I tend to like rock/emo music because I feel connected to it and I just love how it sounds. I don't really break down all that I like in music.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 5:55:06 AM
At 7/15/2010 10:02:22 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Really the only metal bands I like although none can really be considered true metal are Rammstein, Nightwish, and Disturbed.

I see Disturbed as rock, but it could be metal I guess (its one of my fave bands)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Exasperated_Youth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:16:14 AM
At 7/15/2010 9:03:17 PM, annhasle wrote:
Now, there are very opinionated people on this site (the way it should be obviously) and I want to know, What genre of music is the best in your opinion and why?

I'll go first! I think Metal is the best (Not Christian or Hair/Glam) because:

a) amazing guitar/bass riffs and solos

b) large range of vocal styles and most are talented (Dave Mustaine...not so much....)

c) makes bold statements about religion, politics, news, etc. with rage infused lyrics that just make ya want to pump your fist in the air and scream, "F*CK YEAH!!"

d) drummers are crazy talented and funny as hell

That's only a few reasons but I want to see other people's!

Now, GO FOR IT!!

(Disclaimer: NO JUSTIN BIEBER OR MILEY CYRUS CRAP. I want TALENTED artists to be discussed here. Thank you.)

System of a Down are especially good for that :)
Prison Song springs to mind, as does Deer Dance (my favourite song).
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:22:31 AM
At 7/16/2010 7:16:14 AM, Exasperated_Youth wrote:

Megadeth pwn at it
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 8:03:43 AM
Rock from 1965-1980ish
-Led Zeppelin
-The Who
-Hendrix
-Black Sabbath
-Steppenwolf
-Cream
-etc.

Also, I love me some MUSE.
When Reach fell, I came.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 9:15:34 AM

I'll go first! I think Metal is the best:

Metal comprises at least 70% of my set list. It's the well I've been drinking from for most of my life, but I love other forms as well.

I'll be at MayhemFest this August in Atlanta. Anyone in that area, hit me up!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 9:18:04 AM
Favorite bands?

Faves?

1. SLAYER
2. Lamb of God
4. Machine Head
5. Slipknot
6. Metallica
7. Iron Maiden
8. Testament
10. Behemoth
11. Celtic Frost
12. Darkthrone
13. Anthrax
14. System of a Down
15. Static-X:

Hawt and a metal chick.... F*ck, I think I'm in love...
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 3:09:22 PM
I think by restricting yourself to a specific genre you severely limit yourself... I like a whole variety of music, but I'll list a few:

'50s Barbershop (eg. quartets)
'50s oldies
'60s Motown
Punk, especially circa '70s/'80s
Rock, also especially around the '70s/'80s
'90s pop, but pop in general before 2004
R&B (usually 'old school')
Very limited hip hop (from the olden days)
Classical music (Bach, Pachelbel, and Mozart are some of my favourites)

I listen to pretty much every decade but this one.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 8:35:19 PM
At 7/16/2010 9:18:04 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Favorite bands?

Faves?

1. SLAYER
2. Lamb of God
4. Machine Head
5. Slipknot
6. Metallica
7. Iron Maiden
8. Testament
10. Behemoth
11. Celtic Frost
12. Darkthrone
13. Anthrax
14. System of a Down
15. Static-X:

Hawt and a metal chick.... F*ck, I think I'm in love...

LOL Thank you! ;)
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 8:42:21 PM
At 7/16/2010 7:22:31 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 7/16/2010 7:16:14 AM, Exasperated_Youth wrote:

Megadeth pwn at it

Megadeth DOES NOT pown anyone on my list. End of story. Dave Mustaine is cool but he is not one of my "Metal Gods"... But James Hetfield, Rob Halford, Brian Dickinson, Ozzy (yes, he's not on my list but he still is incredible. For STARTING Metal. Everyone bow down to BLACK SABBATH.), Lemmy, Dimebag Darrell, Cliff Burton, Geezer Butler and Toni Iommi... Now those are Metal Gods. R.I.P. Dimebag, and Cliff!!
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 8:44:23 PM
At 7/16/2010 9:15:34 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Metal comprises at least 70% of my set list. It's the well I've been drinking from for most of my life, but I love other forms as well.

I just went to Mayhem Fest here in Seattle on the 13th!! IT WAS FRICKIN' AMAZING!! I saw it last year with Slayer and they blew me away like they always do. But Lamb of God... Musical orgasm right there. When Redneck came on, I went MAD in the pit!! I'm covered in bruises as proof!!
rbrownell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 8:58:02 PM
At 7/16/2010 8:44:23 PM, annhasle wrote:

I just went to Mayhem Fest here in Seattle on the 13th!! IT WAS FRICKIN' AMAZING!! I saw it last year with Slayer and they blew me away like they always do. But Lamb of God... Musical orgasm right there. When Redneck came on, I went MAD in the pit!! I'm covered in bruises as proof!!

Where within Seattle was that?

I'm a big fan of Seattle music, as I've been here for 18 years and grown up around it. I hear Soundgarden played together for the first time in 10 years. They wouldn't be up your ally (judging from the list of aritsts you posted) but I certainly would have liked to see that. I'm just getting in to the concert stuff here now that I can pay for the tickets. I'm going to Rush in August at the White River Amphitheater. Last concert I saw was Dream Theater I think...at the very same Amphitheater. It was a while back, though.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 9:10:30 PM
At 7/16/2010 8:58:02 PM, rbrownell wrote:

I'm a big fan of Seattle music, as I've been here for 18 years and grown up around it. I hear Soundgarden played together for the first time in 10 years. They wouldn't be up your ally (judging from the list of aritsts you posted) but I certainly would have liked to see that. I'm just getting in to the concert stuff here now that I can pay for the tickets. I'm going to Rush in August at the White River Amphitheater. Last concert I saw was Dream Theater I think...at the very same Amphitheater. It was a while back, though.

I love Soundgarden! :P I also love Muse, Rush, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains (REPRESENT), Nirvana (REPRESENT AGAIN), etc. But since I'm a metalhead, I still think it's the best! Mayhem was also at White River Amphitheater... But there are a ton of clubs downtown Seattle playing some good grunge and thrash metal. You might see some Hardcore Bands but they kind of suck... My friends play at the clubs, so I'm there ALL the time. My nickname downtown is "Moshie" since I'm always moshing... But I get into clubs free because of it!! :D
rbrownell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 9:15:26 PM
At 7/16/2010 9:10:30 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 7/16/2010 8:58:02 PM, rbrownell wrote:

I love Soundgarden! :P I also love Muse, Rush, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains (REPRESENT), Nirvana (REPRESENT AGAIN), etc. But since I'm a metalhead, I still think it's the best! Mayhem was also at White River Amphitheater... But there are a ton of clubs downtown Seattle playing some good grunge and thrash metal. You might see some Hardcore Bands but they kind of suck... My friends play at the clubs, so I'm there ALL the time. My nickname downtown is "Moshie" since I'm always moshing... But I get into clubs free because of it!! :D

Sounds like a sweet deal. I've never moshed, but I am big guy, so I think I could probably handle it (then again, maybe not). I get in to small shows for free because I run the door. I haven't done it recently because of work :/

Looks like you do have an excellent taste in music! Not just metal, but other fantastic alternative bands. I myself love some Alice in Chains as well! Glad to see Chris Cornell go back with Soundgarden. Hopefully he won't pursue any more of that solo crap. It is just awful.