Jump to topic:

Inception

Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 12:23:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Anybody here seen it yet? It was essentially mindrape. I found the movie to be incredible. For the sake of spoilers, I won't mention any specifics unless someone wants to join in and discuss the movie.

I would have to say it was my favorite movie of the year thus far. The Expendables will probably be up there too :P What an insane cast.
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 12:26:19 PM
I'll likely see it again just because it was that good. I feel like I got most of it the first time around, but I'll probably catch on to a couple more things the second time around.
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 12:28:12 PM
At 7/17/2010 12:26:19 PM, Sobriquet wrote:
I'll likely see it again just because it was that good. I feel like I got most of it the first time around, but I'll probably catch on to a couple more things the second time around.

I missed so much. One thing I definitely missed was the ending.
*SPOILER ALERT*
Was he back in reality or was he stuck in another dream?
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 12:30:57 PM
At 7/17/2010 12:28:12 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

*SPOILER ALERT*

*SPOILER ALERT*
...We'll never know. That was the most frustrating ending ever. My friends and I sat through the credits, but nothing happened. Despite being frustrating, it was still a good way to end it. The movie capitalized on losing the ability to differentiate between dream and reality, so giving the movie closure by having the totem collapse or keep going wouldn't have gone with the rest of it.
— Harry G. Frankfurt
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 12:33:25 PM
At 7/17/2010 12:30:57 PM, Sobriquet wrote:

*SPOILER ALERT*

*SPOILER ALERT*
...We'll never know. That was the most frustrating ending ever. My friends and I sat through the credits, but nothing happened. Despite being frustrating, it was still a good way to end it. The movie capitalized on losing the ability to differentiate between dream and reality, so giving the movie closure by having the totem collapse or keep going wouldn't have gone with the rest of it.

I dunno. I just really hate endings like that. I like to have good consistent endings that provide closure and leave the viewer with all questions answered.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 12:40:28 PM
At 7/17/2010 12:33:25 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

*SPOILER ALERT*

*SPOILER ALERT*

I dunno. I just really hate endings like that. I like to have good consistent endings that provide closure and leave the viewer with all questions answered.

Frustrating though it may be, I just think it was an appropriate end. It will also probably cause more people to go back and watch it again.
— Harry G. Frankfurt
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 1:05:49 PM
At 7/17/2010 12:43:38 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Well I need to watch it again, and not really because of the ending, because the movie was just simply hard to follow.

It wasn't too bad. It was complicated, but I was able to follow the whole thing fairly well. I would certainly suggest seeing it again. When you can piece together the whole thing, it creates quite an amazing movie.

I did notice they didn't spend a lot of time on explaining what was going on. An inherent lack of explanatory dialog left some people way behind. A quick couple minutes explaining the plan, and then they dove in head first. The faster pace kept it interesting though.
— Harry G. Frankfurt
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 1:36:51 PM
At 7/17/2010 12:33:25 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

*SPOILER ALERT*

*SPOILER ALERT*

You're supposed to hate the ending... that's the whole point.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2010 1:42:43 PM

*SPOILER ALERT*

you're not supposed to know thats the point. but omg I LOVED this movie. absolutely amazing. <3
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 1:46:57 PM
**Spoiler Alert**

I think he was back in reality because:

-The totem appeared to start toppling at the end (any other time it would spin flawlessly)

-It WAS possible for him to get out of limbo because he had done it before

On a side note, I think the father in-law planned inception on Cobb by setting him up with Ariadne, who was very concerned with his past/subconscious. The father in-law told Cobb to "Come back to reality"when they met in England. Maybe there was a side story with Ariadne to plant the idea for Cobb to let go of his wife and let go of the guilt he was feeling that whole time.
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 3:55:33 PM
I skipped through the thread without reading because I didn't want to read spoilers. Is it a mindf*ck like Shutter Island was supposed to be? I kind of liked that so if it's along those lines, I'll probaby go see it.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 3:56:41 PM
At 7/19/2010 3:55:33 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
I skipped through the thread without reading because I didn't want to read spoilers. Is it a mindf*ck like Shutter Island was supposed to be? I kind of liked that so if it's along those lines, I'll probaby go see it.

Shutter Island was nothing compared to this.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 4:44:14 PM
At 7/19/2010 3:55:33 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:

Shutter island was mindfuck, but Inception was mindrape.

Trust me, there is a significant difference.
— Harry G. Frankfurt
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 6:05:21 PM
I haven't seen Shutter Island, but if it's anything like Inception I probably don't want to. I still need to watch Inception again since it left me so confused.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 6:09:09 PM
Going to see it tonight with theLwerd. We are excited :)
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 6:13:04 PM
At 7/19/2010 6:05:21 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I haven't seen Shutter Island, but if it's anything like Inception I probably don't want to. I still need to watch Inception again since it left me so confused.

Shutter Island is easy to follow. It only has one psychological twist, and it isn't too perplexing. The movies have different directors, mind you. Scorsese's movies normally contain one piece of significant irony/dramatic irony. This stands in stark contrast to inceptions consistent mindrape.
— Harry G. Frankfurt
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 6:14:45 PM
At 7/19/2010 6:14:30 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Leonardo DiCaprio is perfect in the "perplexed but everything's in control, trust me" role.

Both movies star him, by the way.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 6:20:53 PM
At 7/19/2010 6:14:45 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 7/19/2010 6:14:30 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Leonardo DiCaprio is perfect in the "perplexed but everything's in control, trust me" role.

Both movies star him, by the way.

I'd say he grows steadily more insane during each movie. The Departed, Shutter Island, and Inception all have his character start to lose it as each minute passes. He then conquers some ridiculous inner demon by the end of the movie. His concluding position normally contains little to no certainty....or he is dead. *mini spoiler* I think that happens in The Departed.
— Harry G. Frankfurt
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 10:51:57 PM
At 7/17/2010 1:05:49 PM, Sobriquet wrote:
Well I need to watch it again, and not really because of the ending, because the movie was just simply hard to follow.

It wasn't too bad. It was complicated, but I was able to follow the whole thing fairly well. I would certainly suggest seeing it again. When you can piece together the whole thing, it creates quite an amazing movie.

I did notice they didn't spend a lot of time on explaining what was going on. An inherent lack of explanatory dialog left some people way behind. A quick couple minutes explaining the plan, and then they dove in head first. The faster pace kept it interesting though.

What else would you have wanted them to explain? I thought it was exceptionally smooth.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 11:06:08 PM
At 7/19/2010 10:49:50 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
OMFG this movie was amazing XD

On a 1 to 10 scale how would you rate it?

Is it a good date movie?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2010 11:08:59 PM
At 7/19/2010 11:06:08 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/19/2010 10:49:50 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
OMFG this movie was amazing XD

On a 1 to 10 scale how would you rate it?

Is it a good date movie?

A solid 8.5-9.0

Depends on the girl, I guess, but in general I'd say yeah it makes a good date movie.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2010 8:55:12 AM
At 7/19/2010 10:51:57 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
At 7/17/2010 1:05:49 PM, Sobriquet wrote:

What else would you have wanted them to explain? I thought it was exceptionally smooth.

Nothing, I just noticed they didn't spend a lot of time explaining things. I liked it better that way. Some of my friends said it confused them.
— Harry G. Frankfurt
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2010 9:36:17 AM
I don't get why people find this movie confusing/hard to follow. The characters explain EVERYTHING.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2010 9:56:40 AM
At 7/20/2010 9:36:17 AM, Korashk wrote:
I don't get why people find this movie confusing/hard to follow. The characters explain EVERYTHING.

I didn't have a problem following it, but though he did explain everything, it was somewhat brief. Maybe it was during the actual inception that got people confused. It switched around between reality, and 3-4 dream states.
— Harry G. Frankfurt
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2010 10:58:06 AM
At 7/20/2010 9:56:40 AM, Sobriquet wrote:
At 7/20/2010 9:36:17 AM, Korashk wrote:

I didn't have a problem following it, but though he did explain everything, it was somewhat brief. Maybe it was during the actual inception that got people confused. It switched around between reality, and 3-4 dream states.

I still have no idea how a moderately intelligent person would not understand the movie :p I found it EXTREMELY easy to follow, actually.