Jump to topic:

DDO Fanfic Writing Group (Sign Ups)

Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 9:29:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
HI and welcome to the DDO fanfic writing group.

This sign up is for fanfic writers who are serious about writing and would like to have their fanfic and future episodes positively criticised to improve their own writing and grow as a writer. It is also for non writers to have a chance at helping another writer improve and develop their skill as a writer.

A little bit of background on why I want to start this.

During my time writing 'A Game of DDO' I noticed early on that there was huge lack of proper feedback on my work and that I am either getting no feedback at all (people are just silent) or a few sentences pertaining to how good it was. And whenever I try commenting on another person's work, it's either appraisal or I just post a satirical commentary (which is fun but less helpful to the writer).

I admit. I love the comments that say how well the episode was or be told I did a good job. But deep down, I know, I'm not improving as fast as I could if I had criticisms as well as the appraisals I'm not getting growing as fast because the clues I get on what my audience likes or don't like are minimal. I end up not knowing what my strengths or weaknesses are.

But I want to grow. I want to improve and become a better writer.

So I realise, since we're all passionate writers on this site, spending loads of time writing fan fiction for each other. Why not help each other out for once?

This is the main aim of this writing group. We are here to help each other grow as writers. We're here, because I want you to become a successful writer. And in return, I'd like the same help.

So first off, what is a writing group?

Well, this is a writing group like any other writing group. We basically collaborate together on a PM, discussing each others fanfics and post feedback.

To do this, every time a fanfic writer has a new episode available, I host a PM announcing that episode. Then, all the writers in the group will go to their episode, read it, and then give feedback on what they really liked and what they thought could have been improved in the episode so that it becomes more entertaining.

But that's not to say criticising someone else's fanfic can't get out of hand. So here are some rules:

1) Balanced criticism

All criticisms must have a balanced number of positive things we liked about the episode as there is actual criticism. An example; I liked this scene .... and I think this character was great.... But there was this one scene where I got a little confused.

We don't want to be online professional critics. We want to help each other become better. Not bash them with negativity until they shrivel up and hide in a corner. All feedback must have a positive comment or a praise. Something you thought was well done. But the criticism afterwards cannot outweigh the positive. You can't write two sentences of things you liked about the episode and then talk for a lengthy paragraph on what you thought could be improved.

Positive comments - more than or equal to - criticism

2) Be aware of context
Criticisms you give have to be within context. You personally may not like the person's fanfic as much as others perhaps because of the genre. But while you may think the author executed the scene a little too melodramatically or unrealistically, it may actually be suitable to their ultimate vision or the genre they were going for. Try to envision yourself as the target audience.

3) Avoid plot criticism
This isn't set in stone but if you have a problem with the direction of the plot, it may be better to not give criticism in that area. Since the fanfic is still ongoing, decisions on plot direction lead to bigger plots in the future. I once made a complaint on Donald's 'DDO Game Over' that the character Mikal escaped too easily in the story after being captured.

This was not very beneficial or helpful to the author since he intended the plot to go in that direction. It turned out, his story was much more epic because of that character escaping.

4) Ignore spelling and grammar
This is a big one. In Brandon Sanderson's writing groups that he teaches, he mentions to the students not to focus on spelling and grammar when critiquing a story. It just gets annoying. And I agree with him. If an author cared so deeply about spelling and grammar, he or she would have made sure it were perfect.

Focus on the execution of the story instead of technical stuff. For example, instead of talking about how this writer could have used the word 'estuary' instead of 'river', talk about how the story is told, which characters get neglected, how much show or tell is there or how the description is way too long or way too short, the pacing etc.

4) Avoid shoulds and should nots
Don't give the author a set of instructions on how to improve. They want a descriptive feedback and not a proscriptive feedback. Don't try to hinder them or set limitations, otherwise you dampen creative flow. Telling them what you felt (i.e which parts got you bored or which parts made you laugh) is more helpful than suggesting ways on exactly how they could improve. That's up to the writer to figure out. If you give them too many of your own ideas, their fanfic will start to become yours instead. Again, this is another of those absurd things that Brandon Sanderson (forgot to mention, he's a fantasy writer) encourages but in the end makes sense.

5) Don't say anything.
This is for the authors receiving criticism. The best way to handle it is to say nothing. If you feel obliged to say 'thank you' or 'interesting' then go right ahead. But saying nothing is probably for the best since replying to every criticism is both awkward and tiring. The more you try to argue with the criticisers that 'no, that's not the point' and go on explaining how everything fits together, then you're only getting better at telling people how good you're story is instead of becoming a better writer. This is another thing that Brandon Sanderson does with his class and which I at first thought was crazy, but in truth is actually more relaxing.

We don't want to start arguments. We want to hear feedback, understand how the audience feels and from there, work to find a solution.

Another thing with critcism is that the more detailed you are, the better. Your feedback post doesn't have to be super long. A minimum of one paragraph will do. But the more detailed you can be, the more the author will understand what you're talking about and the more helpful it will be to the author when it comes to knowing what works and what is effective in getting the readers excited, sad, tensed etc.

Just to clarify, you don't have to give a lot of criticism if you honestly felt the episode was awesome and perfect. You can have an overwhelmingly positive comment on the episode. However, you do need at least one mention of something that you thought was the least strongest moment in the episode.

But when you give feedback on how you felt about the piece of work, what moved you, what you thought was effective or thought provoking, it helps the author tremendously in knowing what their readers like or don't like.

One more thing to clarify, you as part of the writing group, don't have to take the advice of the other members. If you feel you're doing an adequate job, then you keep doing what is best. So when criticising someone's work, don't expect them to have the next episode suddenly have everything you want from them. This is a give or take thing. We're all donating to each other pieces of advice that may or may not be picked up. But once we're done, we'll have something at the very least from each of the members. And that's very useful.
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 9:30:08 AM
So how we're going to do this?

Once you sign up and are part of this small writing group (4 writers and 2 non writers who can give a fresh perspective as an authentic audience), I will host a PM with a link to the first episode that we all will give feedback on. It will be a cycle, where I will host only one PM at a time for each writer including myself each time there's a new episode.

The PM will only be open for 48 hours. You have until then to post your feedback. If you've forgotten, I will notify you and give a reminder through the PM. The PM is also there to discuss the fanfic, and talk with all the members of the fanfic writing group.

After 48 hours, I will close the PM. Once someone else has a new episode that's shared. I will host another PM for 48 hours again.

If you want to notify me when a new episode comes up, please do. But my timezone is wildly different to the DDO timezone however so it'll take perhaps half a day before a PM will be hosted.

In the PM, you may diverge off from the fanfic and talk about mundane things. But if you're constantly spamming I will give you a heads up. Again, continuos spamming and annoying the heck out of everyone will get you kicked out, but obviously you guys are mature, respectful and intelligent writers and readers.

Additionally, I would like everyone to post a synopsis of their fanfic and their story so far. I will post mine so that not all the members of the group have to read all 12 chapters of my fanfic to read the next episode. I'm aiming for a minimum of six members of the writing group. 4 writers and 2 non writers. I don't want people to feel stressed or forced to read everyones fanfic so please post a synopsis and send it to me on my profile or PM. If you've already got one, just stick it in under your name in the sign up sheet.

Don't feel obliged to sign up for this thing if you don't want to btw. It's only for those wanting constructive and helpful criticism to boost their writing capabilities. My main passion is writing and one day I'd really like to be an author. I love how books can bring so much joy to people and I want to learn to do the same thing.

If you've got a similar goal, I highly recommend joining. But please don't feel left out if you don't.

I want to keep this group small since people will be busy writing their fanfics and I don't want to overwhelm the group with more than 5 fanfics to read and give feedback a week.

Alright, I think that's it. Whew. If you have any questions, ask me below. Thanks for reading this absurdly long guideline but I want us to be a good writing group and I want us to have fun.

So if you're interested in helping your writing buds out and also getting some helpful feedback from your peers and audience, please consider joining.

If you think you can commit to this and you agree to the guidelines above, just sign your name below.

Writers
Non-writers (non writers are important for authentic feedback. It gives writers a fresh perspective so if you want to help us out, it would be much appreciated)

Sign ups close within a week or when the sheet's filled. Once it does, the first PM will commence with an introduction, a small writing tip and then all the synopsises from the authors for those who haven't read their fanfics.

Again, the aim is to help and support each other become better writers. I'd like to see a world one day where I can pick up a book and instantly love it no matter who it's from. So let's make this happen.
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 8:35:52 PM
At 3/14/2015 9:30:08 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

Once you sign up and are part of this small writing group (4 writers and 2 non writers who can give a fresh perspective as an authentic audience), I will host a PM with a link to the first episode that we all will give feedback on. It will be a cycle, where I will host only one PM at a time for each writer including myself each time there's a new episode.

The PM will only be open for 48 hours. You have until then to post your feedback. If you've forgotten, I will notify you and give a reminder through the PM. The PM is also there to discuss the fanfic, and talk with all the members of the fanfic writing group.

After 48 hours, I will close the PM. Once someone else has a new episode that's shared. I will host another PM for 48 hours again.

If you want to notify me when a new episode comes up, please do. But my timezone is wildly different to the DDO timezone however so it'll take perhaps half a day before a PM will be hosted.

In the PM, you may diverge off from the fanfic and talk about mundane things. But if you're constantly spamming I will give you a heads up. Again, continuos spamming and annoying the heck out of everyone will get you kicked out, but obviously you guys are mature, respectful and intelligent writers and readers.

Additionally, I would like everyone to post a synopsis of their fanfic and their story so far. I will post mine so that not all the members of the group have to read all 12 chapters of my fanfic to read the next episode. I'm aiming for a minimum of six members of the writing group. 4 writers and 2 non writers. I don't want people to feel stressed or forced to read everyones fanfic so please post a synopsis and send it to me on my profile or PM. If you've already got one, just stick it in under your name in the sign up sheet.

Don't feel obliged to sign up for this thing if you don't want to btw. It's only for those wanting constructive and helpful criticism to boost their writing capabilities. My main passion is writing and one day I'd really like to be an author. I love how books can bring so much joy to people and I want to learn to do the same thing.

If you've got a similar goal, I highly recommend joining. But please don't feel left out if you don't.

I want to keep this group small since people will be busy writing their fanfics and I don't want to overwhelm the group with more than 5 fanfics to read and give feedback a week.

Alright, I think that's it. Whew. If you have any questions, ask me below. Thanks for reading this absurdly long guideline but I want us to be a good writing group and I want us to have fun.

So if you're interested in helping your writing buds out and also getting some helpful feedback from your peers and audience, please consider joining.

If you think you can commit to this and you agree to the guidelines above, just sign your name below.

Writers
1. Jonbonbon
Non-writers (non writers are important for authentic feedback. It gives writers a fresh perspective so if you want to help us out, it would be much appreciated)

Sign ups close within a week or when the sheet's filled. Once it does, the first PM will commence with an introduction, a small writing tip and then all the synopsises from the authors for those who haven't read their fanfics.

Again, the aim is to help and support each other become better writers. I'd like to see a world one day where I can pick up a book and instantly love it no matter who it's from. So let's make this happen.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 8:42:57 PM
At 3/14/2015 8:35:52 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 3/14/2015 9:30:08 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

Writers
1. Jonbonbon
2. Donald.Keller

-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 8:47:01 PM

Writers
1. Jonbonbon
2. Donald.Keller

Non writers
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 8:50:28 PM
At 3/14/2015 8:47:01 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

Writers
1. Jonbonbon
2. Donald.Keller

Non writers

I can be a non-writer too lol.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 8:54:37 PM
At 3/14/2015 8:50:28 PM, donald.keller wrote:
At 3/14/2015 8:47:01 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

Writers
1. Jonbonbon
2. Donald.Keller

Non writers

I can be a non-writer too lol.

Lol yes but I need people like Begginer or Mishap since they don't write fanfic. It gives a fresh perspective and apparantly a writing group with one or two writers and four readers is a stronger writing group than an all writers group.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 8:58:26 PM
Bububububu, I like not having the obligation to respond
Much work.. very effort. *^*
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 8:59:18 PM
Not as much work as you fanfic writers put into your fanfics, but still.. I like being a lazy tadpole.
Senpai has noticed you.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 9:04:18 PM

Writers
1. Jonbonbon
2. Donald.Keller
3. RevNge

Non writers
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 9:31:56 PM
At 3/14/2015 9:04:18 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

Writers
1. Jonbonbon
2. Donald.Keller
3. RevNge

Non writers

Do I count as a non-writer if I don't publicize my writing?
I may or may not be a cat
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 9:37:05 PM
At 3/14/2015 9:31:56 PM, AngelofDeath wrote:

Writers
1. Jonbonbon
2. Donald.Keller
3. RevNge

Non writers

Yes. Unless you plan to publicise it on DDO in the near future. But if you decide to join, you'll need to commit.
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 9:38:35 PM
At 3/14/2015 9:37:05 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

Writers
1. Jonbonbon
2. Donald.Keller
3. RevNge

Non writers

Yes. Unless you plan to publicise it on DDO in the near future. But if you decide to join, you'll need to commit.

How often do I need to be online? Once a week?
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 9:47:55 PM
At 3/14/2015 9:38:35 PM, AngelofDeath wrote:

Writers
1. Jonbonbon
2. Donald.Keller
3. RevNge

Non writers

Well since there's four writers signed up already, you may need to be online three or four times a week. The PMs close in just 48 hours.
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 9:50:01 PM
At 3/14/2015 9:47:55 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

Writers
1. Jonbonbon
2. Donald.Keller
3. RevNge

Non writers

Well since there's four writers signed up already, you may need to be online three or four times a week. The PMs close in just 48 hours.

Nevermind then, I lack dedication and motivation". Maybe next time XD
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 9:56:40 PM
At 3/14/2015 9:50:01 PM, AngelofDeath wrote:

Writers
1. Jonbonbon
2. Donald.Keller
3. RevNge

Non writers

Lol, that's fine. Thanks for considering though.
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2015 9:58:31 PM
At 3/14/2015 9:56:40 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
At 3/14/2015 9:50:01 PM, AngelofDeath wrote:

Writers
1. Jonbonbon
2. Donald.Keller
3. RevNge

Non writers

Lol, that's fine. Thanks for considering though.

I"ll just lurk around like I usually do :D much less effort lol
DarthKirones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 6:03:05 PM
If I can still sign up, then I am in, but isn't this the purpose of Die Stimme?
"I am not religious. I am a genius. I have the Universe in my hands."
-Aerogant

"Of course a jewish baby cannibalizing a jewish mommy is fine"
-Heil being retarded

"Eradicating the baby scourge from our midsts is most certainly fun. And I am proud to be your hero. Babies tremble then they hear my name.. Airmax, the hero of baby annihilation."
-Airmax
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 6:09:00 PM
At 3/15/2015 6:03:05 PM, DarthKirones wrote:

No. Die Stimme is meant to help create a group of like-minded writers to enjoy each others stuff. You can do this in Die Stimme, but having a separate group makes it easier.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
DarthKirones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 6:12:04 PM
At 3/15/2015 6:09:00 PM, donald.keller wrote:

No. Die Stimme is meant to help create a group of like-minded writers to enjoy each others stuff. You can do this in Die Stimme, but having a separate group makes it easier.

Good point
"I am not religious. I am a genius. I have the Universe in my hands."
-Aerogant

"Of course a jewish baby cannibalizing a jewish mommy is fine"
-Heil being retarded

"Eradicating the baby scourge from our midsts is most certainly fun. And I am proud to be your hero. Babies tremble then they hear my name.. Airmax, the hero of baby annihilation."
-Airmax
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 6:33:37 PM

Die Stimme was a sort of club. This is a more focused writing group that gives constructive feedback to each other. There are some rules to follow when doing this that I wrote above.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 6:37:26 PM

Writers
1. Jonbonbon
2. Donald.Keller
3. RevNge
4. DarthKirones

All spaces taken

Non writers
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 12:07:54 AM
This sounds like a boring fanfic. About "critiquing" other people's fanfictions? Come on, even I could think of a better plotline than that.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 2:20:24 AM
At 3/16/2015 12:07:54 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
This sounds like a boring fanfic. About "critiquing" other people's fanfictions? Come on, even I could think of a better plotline than that.

Critiquing the signups for a fanfic group that critiques other fanfics is not allowed lol.