Jump to topic:

Once Upon a DDO S2E7

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 10:48:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Here is the link to the previous episode: http://www.debate.org...

The City of Awindar
5 Years Earlier

"Rev! Rev!"

Uchi poked his head into his brother's room. Everything looked normal, that is to say, like a hurricane had blown through. There were loose papers and candy bar wrappers everywhere. Clothes were strewn haphazardly around the room like corpses on a battlefield. A keyboard with its right leg broken stood (or slumped, rather) near Rev's bed. The sheets and blanket, naturally, were intertwined and crumpled, as if someone had started rolling them into a ball but stopped halfway through.

What there wasn't was any sign of Rev.

Uchi sighed. He'd checked everywhere else in the house. Where could Rev possibly be? Not in his room, not in the living room, not raiding the pantry, not tampering with the sprinklers again (last time, they'd gotten in far too much trouble for that to be worth pursuing a second time.)

Uchi wandered downstairs and made his way out of the house. Suburban sprawl greeted him. But there was a faint sound in the air, like humming. Uchi followed it. The sound led back behind the house, and then went upwards. Uchi glanced at the roof and saw a pair of legs hanging over the side.

"Rev?"

"Once there was a boy so bright
with eyes so blue and hair like night
He climbed up to the tallest tree
for there alone was he happy."

"REV!"

The singing stopped. Rev's face appeared, peering down at Uchi. "Hiya, Uchi!" He waved with his foot. "You look small down there."

"You know you're not supposed to be climbing up there! Come down!"

Rev shrugged.

"I'll take away your holovision," Uchi threatened.

Rev made a face. "Why you hate me?"

"Because you're my brother. Now get down."

Rev put his hand over his heart, feigning shock. "Really, Uchi! We're brothers!"

"Not like -" Uchi shook his head. "Just come down, will you?"

"Fiiine." Rev easily descended from his perch. Uchi marveled at it. It was as if footholds and handholds warped through time and space to let his brother climb so easily. Within a few seconds, Rev had his feet on the ground. He stared up at Uchi, though just barely. The two were nearly even in height now.

"What was that song anyway?" Uchi asked to hide his amazement.

"I dunno." Rev looked away. "So what's up? Not me, anymore, I guess."

"Angel's coming over later." Uchi scratched the back of his neck. "I'd, uh, appreciate it if you kept Adam busy."

"Really?" Rev raised an eyebrow. "You two didn't suck face enough on the Valos Spire?"

"Shut up."

Rev clicked his tongue. "That's not a nice way to speak to someone you want a favor from."

Uchi groaned. "What do you want?"

Rev stroked his imaginary beard and pretended to think. "You do my chores for a month."

"A week."

"Two weeks."

"Ten days."

"Deal." Rev spat in his palm and held it out.

Uchi glanced at it distastefully. "Really?"

"I'm super srs bro." Rev used every muscle in his face to avoid bursting into laughter. "See how srs I am? You don't mess with this srs-ness. I'll mess you up, mate."

Uchi laughed through his nose. "Fine." He completed the handshake.

Rev smiled. "Great. Now, if that's it, I'm going back up."

Later that night, the house fell under the spell named sleep. The moon was a crystal ball in the sky. Silvery light flirted with the shadows, alternating patches of ground and roof between a state of illumination and a state of darkness.

Inside the house, everyone was asleep. Rev had let Adam use the bed. For his part, he lay in a sleeping bag, keeping a large blanket over himself for extra warmth. Uchi and Angel were in the other room. They shared a bed.

The silence of the house remained unbroken even when the front door slid open, and a trio of figures entered. One of them was Bladerunner.

Bladerunner gestured, and the other two figures began dumping gasoline around the house. Bladerunner watched them impassively. His right hand played with his left. He watched as one of the figures entered a room on the ground-floor. Through the open doorway, he spied a bed . There was a woman sitting on it. She looked up as the figure closed the door, cutting off Bladerunner's line of sight.

A small smile played over his lips. It was always best to be sure.

"Rev! Rev, we have to go, now!"

"Huh?" Rev poked his head out from beneath the covers. "Let me be, Uchi. It's 3 in the morning."

"Get up! We have to go!"

"I was having the weirdest dream," Rev muttered. "The house was on fire...."

His eyes fully opened.

The house was on fire.

Rev tossed his blanket aside and extracted himself from the sleeping bag. "What? What? Where's Adam? And Angel?"

"They left through the back door!" Uchi grabbed Rev. "Come on! We need to go!"

The fire cast dancing shadows along the walls, as if performing some ritual. Rev could hear it gnawing on the house, seeking to quench a never-ending appetite. Waves of heat rolled over his skin. He was sweating within seconds. Heavy smoke lumbered through the air, extinguishing oxygen wherever it went.

"This way," Uchi panted, still dragging Rev along. They were going down stairs, Rev noted. He nearly tripped at one point, but Uchi held him upright.

At last, the familiar door loomed before them. Uchi pulled it open, and the two brothers staggered out into the welcoming night. Rev collapsed instantly, coughing and sputtering as though he'd just been underwater. Uchi bent over, panting.

"Are - you - okay?" He managed between gasps. Rev nodded drunkenly. Uchi turned to look at him. "Good." He smiled and gave Rev a thumbs-up. "Now - "

Uchi's words interrupted by a ear-shattering bang.

It seemed to Rev that he must dreaming. His house could not be burning behind him. And, more importantly, Uchi could not be sprawled on the ground before him, a pool of liquid gathering around his head.

"I did want all four of them alive, Envisage," a voice spoke. Rev slowly forced his gaze upward.

Three figures stood before him. The one on the right held a gun. Off to the side were Adam and Angel. Both were bound and appeared to be unconscious. Rev's eyes lingered on them for a few seconds before landing on the man who had spoken.

"It doesn't take four people to answer a question," the man on the right responded. Envisage, that was the name Rev had heard.

"Do as you're told for once," the center man sighed. He shook his head and focused on Rev. "I apologize. But you're going to have to come with us."

Rev staggered to his feet. He was shaking all over. He barely even noticed the gun Envisage had trained on his face. Uchi's blood littered the ground. It seeped into Rev's shoes. Rev curled his hands into fists.

"Come now. This violence is distasteful." The center man stepped forward. "Come along."

And then Rev burst out laughing. Harsh, loud, maniac laughter. It expanded into the space between Rev and the men and Angel and Adam. All three men stepped back.

Rev continued laughing for several seconds. He covered his mouth, and most of his face, with a hand. Finally, his laughter subsided. Rev glanced at the men again, a smile playing around the edges of his mouth.

"You killed him," he said. "You finally killed him." The smile widened. "I can't tell you how long I've been waiting for that."
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 10:49:12 AM
The Openny River
Present Day

Two weeks.

Two weeks had passed since they had began their voyage to Awindar, and they hadn't even reached the sea yet.

Well, YYW, reflected, it was more accurate to say 11 days than 2 weeks. But even so. It had been 11 days of misery. Or it would have been, if it weren't for bsh1. YYW looked over at the love of his life. bsh1 was conversing with Royal. They appeared to be deeply absorbed. YYW's expression softened. He'd been against bsh1 coming - there was no telling what dangers lay ahead - but he couldn't deny that part of him was glad.

NiamC wandered to the ship's railing and vomited. YYW took a second to appreciate the irony of the doctor being the one person to get seasick.

The weather had been fair throughout these 11 days, as if Juggle himself wished the group to succeed. YYW supposed the thought would comfort others. As for himself, he had no need for gods. Not while bsh1 was around.

Airmax stood alone on the bow. The wind whipped through his hair, forcing it into a frenzied dance. YYW moved over to him. "How are you doing?"

Airmax glanced at him. "Fine, thank you. Yourself?"

"The same."

"That's excellent. We're nearly there. The sea, I mean. Awindar's still a ways beyond that."

"Really?" YYW frowned. "How can you tell?"

"The air. Can't you smell it?"

YYW sniffed. Now that Airmax had mentioned it, there was something different. Salt, perhaps?

"Enjoy looking at the land now," Airmax commented. "It won't be there much longer."

YYW looked over the riverbanks. They were coarse, rocky slopes that led upward to bramble and brush. It wasn't the sort of place YYW would want to be stranded. Unless he was with bsh1. Then it might not be so bad.

"What do you think of Royal?"

YYW contemplated the question. "I haven't really spoken with her."

"I was thinking...." Airmax folded his arms. "She seems different."

"Different how?"

"I'm not sure. Just different."

"She's lost Thett," YYW answered. Thett had died in his arms. He'd wanted a kiss, and YYW had honored his dying friend. In the end, Thett had done the right thing, made the right choices. YYW hoped he was happy.

Another two hours sailed by before it happened. They crossed into the sea.

The sun was on the descent, a weary father heading home after a long workday. The sky burned with a brilliant orange hue, and the sea matched its masterful image stroke for stroke. The rescue crew simply watched, awestruck. The expanse of water before them was larger than anything imaginable. It could swallow the entire Kingdom with ease.

"We're...heading into that?" NiamC gulped.

"We are," YYW affirmed. "And we're going to rescue Mikal."

The Pollust
11 Days Earlier

"So tell me, Bookworm." Imabench displayed the emotions of a rock. "What message does your master have for me?"

Bookworm blinked. Now it was she who was caught off-guard. "You know - ?"

"The shadow who darkens the world. Of course I do." Imabench leaned against the tree. "I'm the Lord of Trolls. Nothing happens that I don't know about."

"I see." Bookworm took a step closer. "Then you should know what happens if you interfere."

"Oh." Imabench mockingly pouted. "But I'm so good at interfering!"

A mass of shadows gathered behind Bookworm and propelled her forward. She grabbed for Imabench's throat.

But the troll was gone. Bookworm halted her momentum and glanced around. He'd been right there! He couldn't have just -

There! He stood by the base of the tree. He gave her a cheeky wave.

Bookworm leapt down, using the shadows to land safely. She sank into a crouch.

Imabench gave a loud sigh. "Are you sure this is something you really want to do?"

"Want?" Bookworm laughed. "Don't talk to me about desire. This is business." She sprang forward, lashing out with her fist. Imabench sidestepped and threw his elbow into her back.

Bookworm crashed to the ground, rolled forward, and leapt to her feet. Turning, she kicked out. Imabench blocked with his arm. He stepped closer. Bookworm moved back, out of range. Her eyes narrowed.

Imabench beckoned her forward.

Bookworm swept her leg out, trying to knock Imabench off-balance. He jumped over it and ran forward. Bookworm threw out her fist. It cracked against Imabench's nose. Both participants staggered backward. Bookworm shook her hand. Blood dripped from Imabench's nose.

He glowered at her. "Well, then."

Bookworm met his gaze. "Well, then."

Imabench disappeared. Bookworm whirled around. Too late! Something slammed into her back. As she stumbled forward, she saw a foot ram into her stomach. Her insides rebelled.

She landed hard against the ground. Her stomach felt like it might drop off. Her breathing came in ragged gasps.

Imabench stood over her. "No one can match the speed of a troll."

"Hmm." Bookworm's lip curled. Before Imabench could react, she'd kicked his legs out from under him. As he fell, she lunged on top of him. Her hands closed around his throat.

Imabench gasped. But he didn't bother trying to tear Bookworm's hands away. Instead he curled his legs in and bucked his hips. Bookworm slipped sideways. Imabench rammed his fist into her stomach, the same area he had kicked earlier. Bookworm toppled off him.

Imabench rose to one knee. Before he could fully stand, however, Bookworm kicked out at his leg. There was an ear-splitting snap, and Imabench collapsed. Pain raced through his body.

For the first time, Imabench felt his composure slip away. He needed to get out of here. He crawled over to the tree and used it to claw his way up. He turned.

Bookworm had risen to her feet as well. She held a rock in one hand. She spat, and a glob of blood coated the ground. More blood drained from Imabench's nose. He could taste it dribbling into his mouth.

The two glared at one another. Imabench wiped at his nose. Bookworm tilted her head to the side.

And, at the same moment, the two leapt toward each other.

Imabench grinned as he got his arm against Bookworm's neck. He was the heavier of the two. His weight would ensure he landed on top of her. Bookworm's eyes widened.

Then she hit the ground, yet again, only this time with Imabench on top. He pressed down relentlessly. A gurgling hiss arose from Bookworm's throat. Her free hand strained for Imabench's face. He pinned it the ground.

Bookworm was turning blue. Imabench leaned in. "You never should have screwed with me, Bookie."

Agony erupted along his head. The next thing he knew, Imabench was sprawled on the ground. Bookworm was on her knees, gasping. The rock she had used to strike Imabench lay bloodied on the ground.

Gingerly, Imabench touched the side of his head. His hand was coated in blood. The would spun, darkened. This was bad. He had to get away. He had to....

He was barely conscious when Bookworm lifted the rock and struck his head again.

He was no longer conscious when she did it the third time.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 12:29:55 PM
Damn m8

I'm a douchebag, but I'm not that big of a douchebag.

Unless I'm just lying. Poor meh.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 12:30:53 PM
Oh, and poor Uchi too. Not as poor as me, though, since he was probably getting it on with Angel last night.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 4:10:48 PM
At 3/24/2015 12:44:26 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 3/24/2015 10:48:55 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Now I need to update Warped. ;_;

Yes. Yes you do.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 4:20:43 PM
At 3/24/2015 4:10:48 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Yes. Yes you do.

And I really don't know what Annie's going to say about Romanii and Kitty having sex, lol.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 4:21:46 PM
At 3/24/2015 4:20:43 PM, RevNge wrote:

Yes. Yes you do.

And I really don't know what Annie's going to say about Romanii and Kitty having sex, lol.

I'm sure she'll be totally fine with it.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 4:23:41 PM

The City of Awindar
5 Years Earlier

Wait a sec...this happened five years ago? O_O
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 4:25:01 PM
At 3/24/2015 4:23:41 PM, RevNge wrote:

The City of Awindar
5 Years Earlier

Yes.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 4:25:21 PM

The City of Awindar
5 Years Earlier

"Rev! Rev!"

Oh yeah, I remember...

Holy sht. Does that mean I'm already dead or something? .-.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 4:30:34 PM
At 3/24/2015 4:25:01 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/24/2015 4:23:41 PM, RevNge wrote:

The City of Awindar
5 Years Earlier

Yes.

And Angel's still DK's VP or something in the present time...

So am I 18 (assuming that I'm still alive) in the present day or was I 8 five years ago?

If it's the latter, I'm fvcked up already. D:
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 7:49:47 PM
At 3/24/2015 4:44:37 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
Ctrl + F
"Yama"
*Sees nothing*
Bullsh*t!
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 8:03:52 PM

"Fiiine." Rev easily descended from his perch. Uchi marveled at it. It was as if footholds and handholds warped

"I'm super srs bro." Rev used every muscle in his face to avoid bursting into laughter. "See how srs I am? You don't mess with this srs-ness. I'll mess you up, mate."

these all made me srs lol.

But also, looking forward to when Seventh, Annie, and all the other "Endarkened" people meet up.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 8:47:04 PM

Yes. Yes you do.

I've noticed a problem in this fanfic, now that I've read all of it. There isn't enough Daytona in it.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 9:50:03 PM
This was a great episode. I see some improvements in your prose as well. Can I have your permission and give my full detailed review? I know you're not in the writing group but I wish to give some positive criticism here.
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 10:12:00 PM
At 3/24/2015 8:03:52 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

"Fiiine." Rev easily descended from his perch. Uchi marveled at it. It was as if footholds and handholds warped

these all made me srs lol.

Thank you :-D

But also, looking forward to when Seventh, Annie, and all the other "Endarkened" people meet up.

That'll definitely be a time.... (dramatic lightning)
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 10:14:10 PM
At 3/24/2015 8:47:04 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

Yes. Yes you do.

I've noticed a problem in this fanfic, now that I've read all of it. There isn't enough Daytona in it.

Lol. You're still in it.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 10:14:46 PM
At 3/24/2015 9:50:03 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
This was a great episode. I see some improvements in your prose as well. Can I have your permission and give my full detailed review? I know you're not in the writing group but I wish to give some positive criticism here.

Well, I won't stop you.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2015 10:22:21 PM
At 3/24/2015 10:14:46 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/24/2015 9:50:03 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

Well, I won't stop you.

Alright then.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2015 12:44:49 AM
The prose I felt improved in this episode than in the last episodes. As usual, your descriptions are well written.

"The fire cast dancing shadows along the walls, as if performing some ritual. Rev could hear it gnawing on the house, seeking to quench a never-ending appetite. Waves of heat rolled over his skin. He was sweating within seconds. Heavy smoke lumbered through the air, extinguishing oxygen wherever it went."

Here the description is splendid and I could imagine this scene clearly. I could feel the heat on my skin and smell the smoke in the air. I really liked the way you write your descriptions.

I also liked the little plot details like Rev spitting onto his hand. It helped me understand his character better.

The action scene at the end was done excellently as well. It was tense and exciting. Although I could not really imagine the setting they were in. The scene started with dialogue and there were no descriptions of their location. But the action was so well done that I did not mind at all.

Overall, a great episode and I'm looking forward to the next one!
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2015 7:22:50 PM
So...when's episode eight going to pop up? I'm just mainly saying that so nine will come sooner and that's when I is expecting meh to pop up again.

Granted, I'll probably get shot by that incest/child porn advocate (you know who he is), but still.