Jump to topic:

Eminem

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 12:19:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Is it just me or is Eminem loosing his edge and becoming less fun?

His latest album...it's doesn't have the lightness to it that was in all his others. I mean, he had serious songs before, but they were almost always extremely clever (e.g. "Stan"), cathartic (e.g. "Déjà Vu"), or otherwise facetious, like in "Same Song and Dance" in which he raps about raping women... yeah, rape is a hefty subject, but you knew he wasn't serious, and he was just having fun with it.

Now, the playfulness is gone, at least I think so. He's lost a sense of persona, and it's sh1t depressing. Does anyone else agree?
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 12:27:38 AM
I love his new album, way better than the last one.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 12:27:39 AM
I think I just realized another fundamental change... he's not doing narratives anymore. Very few stories and (like I said) not personas. It's all just him describing his feelings.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 12:28:04 AM
At 7/24/2010 12:27:39 AM, PoeJoe wrote:
I think I just realized another fundamental change... he's not doing narratives anymore. Very few stories and (like I said) no personas. It's all just him describing his feelings.

Fix.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 1:55:58 AM
Agreed. The new album is far superior to the one prior but yeah he's just not funny any more, and nor is he trying to be. I put it down to the death of proof.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 2:05:15 AM
If I recall correctly, in an interview he stated that he wanted to have songs with a more serious undertone. His rationale was that while jokes were fine, and that he would still do them, at the end of the day the joke is over. I'm guessing he wants his song to have more significant and long-lasting meaning than humor.
Awed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 4:04:06 AM
Eminem is getting worse and worse. Relapse blew, and Recovery is no Eminem Show and certainly nothing like the Marshall Mathers LP. It seems like Eminem is now trying to make music that sells rather than music that's good. I think that Kanye West and Lupe Fiasco are really the only good hip hop artist nowadays.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 4:09:06 AM
At 7/24/2010 2:05:15 AM, TheSkeptic wrote:
If I recall correctly, in an interview he stated that he wanted to have songs with a more serious undertone. His rationale was that while jokes were fine, and that he would still do them, at the end of the day the joke is over. I'm guessing he wants his song to have more significant and long-lasting meaning than humor.

Hmmm... a rapper trying to be an important artist? Lawl.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 4:20:20 AM
At 7/24/2010 4:04:06 AM, Awed wrote:
Eminem is getting worse and worse. Relapse blew, and Recovery is no Eminem Show and certainly nothing like the Marshall Mathers LP. It seems like Eminem is now trying to make music that sells rather than music that's good. I think that Kanye West and Lupe Fiasco are really the only good hip hop artist nowadays.

Does his latest work match up to his earlier ones (well, the ones that are critically acclaimed)? No. But this in no way marks him as a sell-out; he simply wanted to shift the focus of his songs, and his albums are still remarkable due to common Eminem-awesomeness (i.e. his lyrical ability, aggressive energy, etc.). There are flaws, such as being narrow in topical content, but it's still fine work.

And the two artist you mentioned are hardly the entirety of "good hip hop artists nowadays". Masta Ace? Rakim? Big Daddy Kane? etc. Sure, they aren't in mainstream view but they are highly regarded and influential MCs.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 4:21:56 AM
At 7/24/2010 4:09:06 AM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 7/24/2010 2:05:15 AM, TheSkeptic wrote:

Hmmm... a rapper trying to be an important artist? Lawl.

Tupac "lawls" at you as well. And of course, a plethora of other rappers do as well.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 12:10:06 PM
At 7/24/2010 5:27:25 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
From what I've heard of Recovery, it's not half as good as his old stuff imo.

Shouldn't you listen to Recovery and his old stuff rather than going by what you have heard? :P
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 12:12:39 PM
At 7/24/2010 12:10:06 PM, Nags wrote:
At 7/24/2010 5:27:25 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
From what I've heard of Recovery, it's not half as good as his old stuff imo.

Shouldn't you listen to Recovery and his old stuff rather than going by what you have heard? :P

-_-

I'm Not Afraid is nowhere near as good as Stan, Squaredance, Mosh, Hayleys song, hell even 3AM and Crack a Bottle.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 12:16:30 PM
At 7/24/2010 12:12:39 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
-_-

I'm Not Afraid is nowhere near as good as Stan, Squaredance, Mosh, Hayleys song, hell even 3AM and Crack a Bottle.

I'd say only Stan is better than I'm Not Afraid.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 12:24:31 PM
At 7/24/2010 12:16:30 PM, Nags wrote:
-_-

i'm not afraid is sh1t. the way i am takes it.
signature
Awed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 1:49:07 PM
At 7/24/2010 4:20:20 AM, TheSkeptic wrote:
At 7/24/2010 4:04:06 AM, Awed wrote:

Does his latest work match up to his earlier ones (well, the ones that are critically acclaimed)? No. But this in no way marks him as a sell-out; he simply wanted to shift the focus of his songs, and his albums are still remarkable due to common Eminem-awesomeness (i.e. his lyrical ability, aggressive energy, etc.). There are flaws, such as being narrow in topical content, but it's still fine work.

And the two artist you mentioned are hardly the entirety of "good hip hop artists nowadays". Masta Ace? Rakim? Big Daddy Kane? etc. Sure, they aren't in mainstream view but they are highly regarded and influential MCs.

As for older hip hop, Rakim's newer album wasn't very good and he's not releasing anything as good as Paid in Full ever again. And the other two were great, but they're never going to be as good as they used to be. Also, I'm drawn more to alternative hip hop rather than gangsta rap, so I can appreciate their older albums, but for that time period, I'd listen to something like A Tribe Called Quest over them.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 4:02:26 PM
At 7/24/2010 12:24:31 PM, badger wrote:
-_-

TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 9:50:40 PM
As for older hip hop, Rakim's newer album wasn't very good and he's not releasing anything as good as Paid in Full ever again. And the other two were great, but they're never going to be as good as they used to be. Also, I'm drawn more to alternative hip hop rather than gangsta rap, so I can appreciate their older albums, but for that time period, I'd listen to something like A Tribe Called Quest over them.

Sure, your taste in rap likely isn't the same mine. But it would be silly to say the two artists you mentioned are the only mentionable names in hip hop :).
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 9:54:15 PM
I've been a fan of Eminem for years, and I've been pleased with many of the songs in his recent album. I really enjoy "Love the Way You Lie."

Sure, I believe that he was "better" years ago, but I like his serious undertone to the songs. Plus, he's one of the few rappers (imo) who sounds legit on stage.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 11:39:15 PM
Recovery owns the last two albums.
I laughed out loud a few times on this album...
"You can get a columbian necktie, to hang yourself by, like David Carradine you can go fvck yourself and just die!"
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
untitled_entity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 7:43:25 AM
I can't BELIEVE that people think Lupe and Kanye are the best hip-hop artists out there... Regardless, before you go hating on Rakim - The Seventh Seal was a great album. Sure, he doesn't release nearly as much as he used to, and who knows if he ever will, but what he has released is good. Plus, The Seventh Seal was a much more personal album than most of the stuff Rakim has released anyways. As far as Eminem is concerned, I'm still listening to Recovery. Aside from his lyrical changes, I think his entire sound has changed. In my opinion, "Not Afraid" was a total cop-out. In Relapse he had 3AM, My Mom, Must Be The Ganja, a bunch of songs that really got into it. I feel like "Not Afraid" is just another rap workout song. However, I also think that Eminem might just be slowing his roll with this album, only to pick it up later.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 7:49:12 AM
At 7/24/2010 9:54:15 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I've been a fan of Eminem for years, and I've been pleased with many of the songs in his recent album. I really enjoy "Love the Way You Lie."

Love the way you lie is cr*ap. Seriously. He does 3 mundane verses of rape, and then Rihanna *ahem* "sings" about 3 lines between each.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 7:49:35 AM
At 7/25/2010 7:49:12 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Love the way you lie is cr*ap. Seriously. He does 3 mundane verses of rap, and then Rihanna *ahem* "sings" about 3 lines between each.

Funniest typo evar.
untitled_entity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 9:29:54 AM
At 7/25/2010 7:49:12 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Love the way you lie is cr*ap. Seriously. He does 3 mundane verses of rape, and then Rihanna *ahem* "sings" about 3 lines between each.

Panda, ftw.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 11:08:12 AM
At 7/24/2010 4:02:26 PM, Nags wrote:
At 7/24/2010 12:24:31 PM, badger wrote:
-_-

you've changed my mind.
signature